XIM Community

I made a XiM4 Splatoon 2 ST (crossover adapter required)  (Read 4122 times)

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
I've got a XiM4 and a MagicNS crossover adapter for Switch, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. I've fooled around with daisy-chaining the two devices before, because while XiM4 doesn't officially support the Switch, I can use my MagicNS to spoof a Pro Controller out of the XiM4+XB1 controller I'm actually using. Today, I landed on a Splatoon 2 ST (based on DOOM 2016) that I really, really like, and so I'm here to share it with the community, in case there's any other interested Switch owners. But first, I have to explain what makes this ST special, or at least, better than any I've managed for this game before.

I discovered a little quirk with Splatoon 2's aiming system while fooling around. Normally, whenever you're moving, or swimming in ink, the max turn speed of the right analog stick is inhibited. However, if you hold the 'camera recenter' button (Y), the max turn speed of the right analog stick remains fast, and uniform.

So I made two settings pages for my ST - one called 'ReCntr Toggle OFF', and one called 'ReCntr Toggle ON'. They're identical, and both use hip translator. Whichever key you decide to use for 'camera recenter' (Y), MAKE SURE that you set that same key as the activator for 'ReCntr Toggle ON'.

That way, all you have to do before launching into gameplay proper, is press the 'camera recenter' button ONCE. After that, you'll enjoy the turn speed benefits that holding the button brings, without having to actually hold the button all the time.

Here's two short videos which clearly demonstrate the impact of this toggle:

https://twitter.com/beansmokecowboy/status/944864942603169797 (toggle activated @0:09)
https://twitter.com/beansmokecowboy/status/944866055922388992 (toggle activated @0:13)

Anyway, here goes -

BeanSplatoon2 v1 / Uses DOOM ST / Set ingame sensitivity to max / Make sure to customize your own buttons / I use Logitech G502 mouse @ 6000 dpi for this setup, experiment with DPI of your own mouse as well as Sensitivity within the XiM4 manager (across both settings pages) if not G502 /

COPY THE CODE BELOW. USE DOOM ST. IN 'Edit Config', CLICK THE THREE DOTS UNDER THE NAME 'DOOM', AND THEN THE ARROW ICON.

>>> XIM4 [Splatoon 2 ST] START PASTE >>>
X4C: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:X4C
<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

Here's a short little video of this curve in action, on the weapon-test map.
https://twitter.com/beansmokecowboy/status/944852309598642176
I haven't played this game in months, and I'm still getting used to this ST, but I'm aiming about as well as I was using gyro controls back when I actively played the game. Considering I'm playing like this after less than an hour of fooling around, I'd say that bodes well.

A friendly little reminder for how vital functions are mapped in Splatoon 2:

(A) - Confirm, confirm Super-Jump
(B) - Back, Jump
(X) - Map (also various lobby menu functions)
(Y) - Camera recenter (also various lobby menu functions)

(RT) - Fire weapon
(LT) - Swim in ink (I like mapping this to shift)

(RB) - Alt weapon/grenade (I like mapping this to right mouse click)
(LB) - I'm not sure that LB does anything in this game. It might have a menu function somewhere.

(D-Pad) - Menu control, quick-select players in Map to Super-Jump to

(R Stick Click) - Superpower
(L Stick Click) - I don't think this does anything, but I may be mistaken.

One last thing - it's sometimes useful to swim slowly in this game, because you don't splash through the water (so you're stealthier). However, the 'walk' function is a little too slow for this game. I use a Logitech G13 and I use its analog stick for stealth swimming.

Let me know how this works for you!
« Last Edit: 03:43 AM - 12/24/17 by BeansmokeCowboy »
XB1/PS4/PC/Switch | Logitech G502, Logitech G13 | I make XiM4 STs for Nintendo Switch games.

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
Next on the list: DOOM
--

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: I made a XiM4 Splatoon 2 ST (crossover adapter required)
« Reply #1 on: 09:06 AM - 12/24/17 »
Wow really nice job, thanks for sharing. :)
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:31 PM - 12/24/17 »
Thanks! After I made this post last night, I decided to practice in 'Turf Wars' for a bit, using this ST. (For the uninitiated, Turf Wars is Splatoon's 'casual' game mode, wherein the objective is for your team to cover the map with more paint than the other team.) I told myself I would stop playing when I lost the game.

I played something like 25 matches over two and a half hours. I won every single match except the last one that I played. I placed first place on my team in every single match. No joke. And again - haven't played in months, and didn't know any of the maps I played on. And I lead every single match for two and a half hours straight.

Or in other words, this thing is the real deal! I can't wait to hear impressions from other people. Hopefully I'm not the only one with a XiM4 and a Nintendo Switch crossover adapter lying around.
« Last Edit: 01:37 PM - 12/24/17 by BeansmokeCowboy »
XB1/PS4/PC/Switch | Logitech G502, Logitech G13 | I make XiM4 STs for Nintendo Switch games.

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
--

Offline Squit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:17 PM - 12/24/17 »
Using the brook adapter I take it?

Funnily enough I did try xim with it for laughs, didn't really do what you did I bought it more to use my fight stick on street fighter lol.

This is some good work, I will give it a go when I can get off ww2  ;D

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:27 PM - 12/24/17 »
Nope, I'm using a MagicNS, a crossover adapter for Switch that supports PS4 and Xbox One controllers. I actually got one of the recently-kickstarted Brook X One adapters (it fits in an Xbox controller's battery compartment and crosses it over to any other platform wirelessly + it has a motion sensor in it) in the mail yesterday, because I've been wanting to use my Elite controller with paddles AND gyro on PC and Switch... but mine had a few problems that I'm sorting out now with the company.

Actually, the fact that my Brook adapter didn't work is exactly why I spent some time fooling around with my XiM4 on Switch yesterday, instead.

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
--

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:29 PM - 12/24/17 »
I bought a Mayflash MagicNS adapter a few months ago for this exact reason. I'll be unwrapping the Switch for the kids today (it's Xmas morning here now) and will give this a bash in Zelda.

Also worth noting is Titan One and Titan Two also offer Switch and Xim support, so we have a few options. I'll give both of them a go too in the near future.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:19 PM - 12/24/17 »
BeansmokeCowboy, have you had issues with the MagicNS? It seems to be the most affordable option. I'm curious how these games feel too.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:27 PM - 12/24/17 »
BeansmokeCowboy, have you had issues with the MagicNS? It seems to be the most affordable option. I'm curious how these games feel too.

I've never had an issue with the MagicNS. It works equally well for wired controllers and wireless controllers, and it's had steady firmware updates enabling things like PS4 gyro and button swapping. You can also use it on PC to use Switch and PS4 controllers as xinput devices. I haven't noticed any input latency either, and it's really working well in tandem with my XiM4.

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
--

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07:58 PM - 12/24/17 »
I bought a Mayflash MagicNS adapter a few months ago for this exact reason. I'll be unwrapping the Switch for the kids today (it's Xmas morning here now) and will give this a bash in Zelda.

The thing with BoTW, is that its max controller sensitivity is pretty low. There's not much benefit to playing it with XiM4 unless you use XiM4 for comfort. On the other hand, there's an inbuilt motion control option in BoTW, that's responsive to your quickest and slowest, largest and tiniest movements, and can be used in tandem with an analog stick. Honestly, I'd suggest that (it's much easier to play that way using a split Joy-Con setup) over using XiM4 because it definitely allows for more precise aim than M&KB does. Splatoon 2 has a similar option, but since its max turn speed for analog aiming is much higher than BoTW's, nothing is lost from using XiM4.
« Last Edit: 08:11 PM - 12/24/17 by BeansmokeCowboy »

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
--

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:52 PM - 12/24/17 »
Thanks Beansmoke. I'll keep that in mind, but it's more proof of concept than anything.

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02:14 PM - 12/25/17 »
I've had continued, profound success using this ST online. I made this curve working under the assumption that Splatoon 2 has no aim acceleration, and so I used a flat line ballistics curve that starts at 6/100 to account for Splatoon 2's deadzone. I'd love to see if anyone can improve on what I've got here using their XiM4 knowledge, because I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to making curves of my own.

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
--

Offline tepidblack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:08 PM - 12/25/17 »
Have you got any full gameplays using this?

Offline BeansmokeCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:40 PM - 12/25/17 »
I've been trying to figure out a way to make one, but I don't have a capture card so all I can do right now is short 30 second twitter clips uploaded directly from the Switch.

edit: Okay, I think that if I use my powered HDMI splitter to output my Switch to my TV and my Xbox One at the same time, and then stream my Xbox One to my PC, I can use a screen capture program on PC to capture the footage.

My Splatoon 2 XiM4 ST
--

Offline Joeyknock0

• Switch FC: 1643-1675-3606
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Willum DeGrey
« Reply #13 on: 05:45 AM - 12/26/17 »
I've been trying to figure out a way to make one, but I don't have a capture card so all I can do right now is short 30 second twitter clips uploaded directly from the Switch.

edit: Okay, I think that if I use my powered HDMI splitter to output my Switch to my TV and my Xbox One at the same time, and then stream my Xbox One to my PC, I can use a screen capture program on PC to capture the footage.
Post a link to some game play once you get it. I'm excited to see it.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:43 AM - 12/26/17 »
Looking forward to gameplay footage as well.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos