XIM Community

Elgato Stream Deck...fave new toy  (Read 693 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Elgato Stream Deck...fave new toy
« on: 08:18 AM - 11/09/17 »
It's been a few years since I last updated my game recording setup, so I dropped a few bucks on some new kit - an Elgato HD60 S, Elgato Stream Deck and Elgato Cam Link (so I can hook up my Go Pro as a webcam).

I've used the Elgato HD since its launch back in the PS3 era and it has served me well. So much so that I've never felt the need to look elsewhere, so I've kept the brand loyalty rolling. However, aside from the annoying 5 second or so delay, I've always had a problem with Elgato's terrible implementation of flashback recording in the Game Capture app, which is nothing short of a confusing mess.

Elgato's come to their own rescue here with the Stream Deck. Aside from the obvious support for Twitch, YouTube, Twitter, OBS etc (none of which I find overly interesting), they've snuck in a neat Flashback Recording tool that dovetails into the Game Capture app. Instead of swapping back to the Mac/PC app and wrestling with the obnoxious "drag rewind, then hit Record" and hoping for the best, a button (or buttons) can be assigned to record the last 15, 30, 45 seconds, or 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 30 mins.

That may sound tame, but it overcomes the single most frustrating aspect of the Elgato game capture product range, at the touch of one, or many, customisable buttons. Buying a Stream Deck is an expensive solution (why they couldn't just build this into the app is beyond me), but it's made me a happy camper and I'm now far more inclined to record highlights on-the-fly and actually get some use out of the Elgato gear.

There's plenty of other goodies tucked under the hood for productivity and automation freaks :ahem...whistle:, so take a look at it, even if you're not a strimmer.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline joshuajbrunner

• View Profile
Re: Elgato Stream Deck...fave new toy
« Reply #1 on: 03:15 PM - 12/05/17 »
Just wondering if the Stream deck also could work as a macro keyboard for the XIM4? IE using it for hotkeys, toggling between profiles?

Have you tested that out?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 08:12 PM - 12/05/17 »
Maybe, it requires a PC connection and that's possible via SandhawC. I don't use Windows nor SandhawC, so haven't tested it.

You can setup Hotkeys and Hotkey switches on the Stream Deck, which might be used to switch profiles on a Xim or run a macro through AHK to SandhawC. For that sort of thing, I connect my Xim to a Titan Two and run the keyboard on the T2 rather than the Xim.

I've had a bit more of a play with Stream Deck for Twitch, Twitter and OBS and it's fantastic for that, along with Elgato captures. Extending it beyond that to launch apps and send hotkeys is rudimentary by comparison, but it could probably do the job, as long as it's connected to PC / Mac.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline joshuajbrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:28 PM - 12/06/17 »
Maybe, it requires a PC connection and that's possible via SandhawC. I don't use Windows nor SandhawC, so haven't tested it.

You can setup Hotkeys and Hotkey switches on the Stream Deck, which might be used to switch profiles on a Xim or run a macro through AHK to SandhawC. For that sort of thing, I connect my Xim to a Titan Two and run the keyboard on the T2 rather than the Xim.

I've had a bit more of a play with Stream Deck for Twitch, Twitter and OBS and it's fantastic for that, along with Elgato captures. Extending it beyond that to launch apps and send hotkeys is rudimentary by comparison, but it could probably do the job, as long as it's connected to PC / Mac.

Gotcha gotcha. Just didn't know if it had some onboard memory or something to store profiles, images, macros, etc.

Would be neat if you could use this with the XIM4. I have not tried SandhawC yet.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Admin