XIM Community

4K Monitor for FPS: Asus MG24UQ vs MG28UQ (or VP28UQG)?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline BUNGEE

• View Profile
Hi guys,

Recently I bought a PS4 Pro and im looking around for a 4k monitor that I want to buy today.

The following 3 monitors catched my eyes: Asus MG24UQ, Asus MG28UQ and the Asus VP28UQG.

the 28 ones are bigger (28"), have TN panels, 1 ms response and 11 ms input lag.

The Asus MG24UQ is a 24" IPS panel, 4ms response and 10 ms input lag.

I mostly play call of duty on a competitive level. My question: Can someone who owns the MG24UQ tell me if ghosting due to 4ms is really noticable? Because I can get it for a good deal.

Or should I go for the 28 inch with 1ms response and 11ms input lag?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 10:20 AM - 10/30/17 by BUNGEE »

Offline kayoussoldier

• View Profile
Re: 4K Monitor for FPS: Asus MG24UQ vs MG28UQ (or VP28UQG)?
« Reply #1 on: 12:53 PM - 10/30/17 »
I can't help with those specific monitors but I play on an IPS monitor with 5ms and notice zero ghosting coming from a TN panel that was 1 ms. The low input lag is what's really important. I wouldn't worry at all about 4ms.

Offline BUNGEE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:19 PM - 10/30/17 »
Thanks for your reply. I can get the 24 inch for like 85 euros cheaper than the 28 inch variant.

Is there anyone here who has experience with the MG24UQ and shooters like battlefield or cod?

Kind regards.

Offline xKowal86x

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Ninja_Rabbit_86
« Reply #3 on: 07:13 PM - 10/30/17 »
Got vp28 from asus.I just bought ps4 pro so I change from benq rl2455 monitor to asus.Let me tell you this monitor is amazing for me.Price in UK around 300 pound,TN panel in asus is just amazing.Colors are great.Testing on Horizon Zero Down,Rainbow Six and BF1.All look great trust me.In last few days can't stop play BF1 cuz how good that game looks.Highly recommended vp28,is amazing for that price.
Also for 4k even not native 24 inch is but small.28 for me works realy good.Ofcarse in few first game feel so big but now I'm love it.
Asus is new monitor so can't find any real info about input lag but be honest don't feel like anything keep me back in fps games.
Also if you buy asus you should be get assassin creed orgins uplay code so you can use if you play pc or sell and get extra cash.
Mouse: Zowie EC-1,Keyboard:Corsair K63,Headset: Astro A40TR,Monitor:Benq 2455,Router:Netduma R1

Offline hashsnob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:33 PM - 10/30/17 »
I have owned the MG and VP variants, and I don't think you will notice any performance difference between the three, maybe slightly improved colors with the IPS panel on the MG24uq. The VP28uqg has freesync over hdmi, but the ps4pro doesn't support freesync like the xbox one x, so it makes no difference in your case.

I returned the MG and bought the VP when I found out the MG's freesync wouldn't work over hdmi, since I planned on using it with the X1X.

What I can say is the monitor stand that comes with the MG is much nicer than the VP, its fully adjustable height/tilt/angle etc, where the VP you can only adjust the tilt, no height or angle. So if you are using the monitor purely for the ps4pro with no plans of getting an x1x, I might consider the MG's, the stand is sooo much nicer.

The only other difference I can think of is the MG's only have 1 hdmi 2.0 slot where the VP has 2 hdmi 2.0 slots.

Offline BUNGEE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:23 AM - 10/31/17 »
Thanks all for the replies.

I bought the VP28UQG. It's newer and I guess more "future proof".

It sucks that the stand is worse indeed. The MG variant looks nicer with my equipment. But in the end it's about performance and with the VP u can't go wrong I guess.

The monitor will arrive in an hour. It's my first time buying a monitor larger than 24 inch, that's why I also considered the mg24. Hopefully it won't take too much time to get used to it.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:43 AM - 10/31/17 »
Guys I highly recommend getting a monitor arm and ditching stands. Makes such a difference. Without the base of the stand getting in the way you can have the monitor floating exactly where it needs to be. I bought an expensive one but then picked up a 20 van haus one which is superb. I then attached a konig Meyer headphone stand on to the upright and it's great for my set up

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:13 AM - 10/31/17 »
It indeed is more future proof since you:
a) get 2xHDMI 2.0 inputs with HDCP 2.2 support
b) according to asus homepage the monitor supports Adaptive Sync/ Freesync through HDMI. Both those things Asus MG28UQ cant do, if I rember correctly.

In the next 2-3 years we will prolly get a new console gen. Maybe someone will get a ps5 and still keep xbox 1 x- you can easily switch between both through monitor input selection, since both will be fully supported.

Offline BUNGEE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:46 AM - 11/01/17 »
The VP28UQG is amazing. Very nice quality and I havent noticed input lag.

What brightness do you guys use?

Offline xKowal86x

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Ninja_Rabbit_86
« Reply #9 on: 08:43 AM - 11/01/17 »
Thats my setting works best for but everone is diffrent
Game mode(notices for me blacks and gray colors are perfect in this mode)
Brightness: 70 (personal preference i play between 60-70)
Congtrast: 80
Saturation: 50
Color Temp. User R:98 G:97 B:96 or 94 (notice blue are realy high in this monitor thats why puting lower)
Smart view; Off
Sharpness: 50
Trace Free: 40
Vividpixel: 25
ASCR: OFF
Mouse: Zowie EC-1,Keyboard:Corsair K63,Headset: Astro A40TR,Monitor:Benq 2455,Router:Netduma R1

Offline postal1982

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: zealbishop
  • PSN ID: postal1982
« Reply #10 on: 09:31 AM - 11/03/17 »
Hi guys,

Recently I bought a PS4 Pro and im looking around for a 4k monitor that I want to buy today.

The following 3 monitors catched my eyes: Asus MG24UQ, Asus MG28UQ and the Asus VP28UQG.

the 28 ones are bigger (28"), have TN panels, 1 ms response and 11 ms input lag.

The Asus MG24UQ is a 24" IPS panel, 4ms response and 10 ms input lag.

I mostly play call of duty on a competitive level. My question: Can someone who owns the MG24UQ tell me if ghosting due to 4ms is really noticable? Because I can get it for a good deal.

Or should I go for the 28 inch with 1ms response and 11ms input lag?

Thanks in advance!
I own the MG28UQ. I LOVE this monitor and has a great build quality. Any questions just ask me about this monitor. I have owned it for about a year now with zero problems.
PS4/Xbox One
Netduma R1 router.

Offline Dave R

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:50 PM - 01/07/18 »
Anybody manage to get freesync working on the UGQ ?
« Last Edit: 07:55 AM - 01/08/18 by Dave R »
One X
Apex
VG248QE
AD700
DSS2
G402 (metal skates)
Tartarus Chroma
Titan One
past xim 1,3,4

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02:24 AM - 01/09/18 »
Do you mean on the Xbox? If so it's not outputting Freesync yet

Offline Dave R

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04:59 PM - 01/09/18 »
Do you mean on the Xbox? If so it's not outputting Freesync yet
yes I'm referring to Xbox have you heard if Microsoft is going to support freesync 1 ?
« Last Edit: 05:17 PM - 01/09/18 by Dave R »
One X
Apex
VG248QE
AD700
DSS2
G402 (metal skates)
Tartarus Chroma
Titan One
past xim 1,3,4

Offline Zanonomicon

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Zanonomicon
« Reply #14 on: 03:46 PM - 01/31/18 »
So I'll be getting a xbox one x soon and going to upgrade my monitor as well to either the MG28UQ or VP28UQG. I've been looking into the FreeSync thing to figure out what the deal is. I'll have to come back and edit with the links but basically there isn't any monitor that will currently support FreeSync for the xbox one x.
Microsoft future proofed the One X with HDMI 2.1. This is the only connection that the xbox will push FreeSync over. The HDMI 2.1 standard was only newly standardized shortly before the One X came out. No one is manufacturing TVs or monitors that utilize HDMI 2.1 yet. So while the VP28UQG does ha every support for FreeSync over HDMI 2.0 the only machines that will be able to utilize this are PCs.
So with that information I will be going with the MG28UQ as it has the better stand and every other spec between the two monitors is basically identical.
I know one of the articles that explains it is a Forbes article titled something along the lines why gamers should wait to buy a new monitor. I'll find it later and edit my post.