XIM Community

So I have come across an old POS lappy. . .  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Re: So I have come across an old POS lappy. . .
« Reply #15 on: 04:32 PM - 06/17/08 »
While you are talking about USB's, how would you recommend doing a long USB run? Maybe 30-40ft. I'm buying a house next week and will finally have a room just for the computers, so I'd love to run a USB into the wall, up into the attic, and then down and out near the couch in the den. Then just plug a powered hub into that outlet to plug in the keyboard, mouse, and XIM to game in the den.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #16 on: 12:11 AM - 06/18/08 »
While you are talking about USB's, how would you recommend doing a long USB run? Maybe 30-40ft. I'm buying a house next week and will finally have a room just for the computers, so I'd love to run a USB into the wall, up into the attic, and then down and out near the couch in the den. Then just plug a powered hub into that outlet to plug in the keyboard, mouse, and XIM to game in the den.

15-20 ft would be pushing it depending on where and how you run the cables.

If you want reliable distance try something like an active cable.
(I've used active cables before but not these exact ones)
http://www.usbgear.com/USB_Repeater_Cable/

...or even fiber repeaters for longer hauls...
(we use boxes like these at our office, again not exact so i cant speak for them personally)
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=148

Also, daisy-chaining powered hubs would work too but it will get you laughed at and they wont be very reliable at all. :P

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11:46 AM - 06/18/08 »
I would second the active cables. Sure you COULD daisy chain a few powered hubs, but intermittent problems will be issues you are just ASKING for.

Besides, you don't want to be on the "wall of sheep" now do ye?

I've done 19 feet before over 2.0 with 3 devices mouse,kb and flash drive. So I would assume it would be OK for it, but you never know. I didn't use it long enough to say if it would crap out or not.

Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01:20 PM - 06/18/08 »
We'll see what happens next week. I close next wednesday, so then I can get in there and start really measuring and plotting out where to set everything up.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02:39 PM - 06/18/08 »
We'll see what happens next week. I close next wednesday, so then I can get in there and start really measuring and plotting out where to set everything up.

Ahh buying a house? congrats. 80/20 loan? Or do you have to carry pmi? I hate PMI, that's why I pwned it by selling my soul.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05:45 PM - 06/18/08 »
More like 97/3. In my infinite wisdom, I thought pouring all my money into credit cards to 0 them out and taking a 100% loan would be better, problem was, when I finished paying off the cards, the market went south. So I need PMI to the tune of like $90 a month, but probably still better than credit cards at high percentages.

What stings is insurance in New Orleans. I'll be paying roughly $500 a month between flood and home insurance, for 165k of coverage. My dad in Colorado gets roughly $400k of coverage for $850 a year, so I pay more in 2 months than others pay for a full year.

Katrina, the @#$% that keeps on stinging!

Offline Zombine

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01:50 AM - 06/21/08 »
Well, I haven't really had a chance to do the laptop thing and was going to do it this weekend, but now my 360 died. :P

Typical 3 red ring of death, error code 0020.

I had one of the 360s that came out around launch and thought I wouldn't get the RROD problem, but I guess not. I have already opened the thing a while ago to fix the DVD drive (thanks to MS deciding to use the DVD drive as part of the heatsink...), which means the warranty is dead. Off to Home Depot tomorrow to do the X-clamp fix.

I guess it's not so bad, I've been unsatisfied with the framerate in Halo 3 and I hope this will fix it.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12:21 PM - 06/23/08 »

I guess it's not so bad, I've been unsatisfied with the framerate in Halo 3 and I hope this will fix it.

RROD fix, buy another xbox from target switch the stickers and the case out and boom, new xbox.

In regards to the xclamp fix and frame rates in Halo 3, what is this all about, I am VERY curious?

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline Zombine

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10:55 PM - 06/24/08 »

RROD fix, buy another xbox from target switch the stickers and the case out and boom, new xbox.

In regards to the xclamp fix and frame rates in Halo 3, what is this all about, I am VERY curious?

Heh, I'll keep the target thing in mind. Maybe I can score a jasper chipset when it's out.  :-X

I managed to fix the RROD though, finding the parts was a PIA but actually fixing was pretty simple.

About the x-clamp fix: Don't know if you know about the x-clamp fix, but here is a link to information about it. http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

After replacing the X-clamps with screws and washers and tightening down the heatsinks, my 360 worked, so I'm guessing the pressure was enough. I decided to overheat the GPU anyways, to avoid this problem later. While the 360 is working now, the framerates in Halo 3 seemed the same.

About the Halo 3 framerates: I've noticed that the framerate isn't very solid. When scrolling around or just moving, alone in a multiplayer map, there are a few noticeable framerate dips. They occur often, but they come and go quickly. An example would be in the Valhalla (The bloodgulch replacement), when I go inside the bunker, and just start walking in, I notice the slight framerate dip. It goes away quickly, as I pass whatever it was that caused the slowdown. The game is still very playable, runs at 30 FPS most of the time, but these dips are a little annoying.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10:22 AM - 06/25/08 »

Heh, I'll keep the target thing in mind. Maybe I can score a jasper chipset when it's out.  :-X

I managed to fix the RROD though, finding the parts was a PIA but actually fixing was pretty simple.

About the x-clamp fix: Don't know if you know about the x-clamp fix, but here is a link to information about it. http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

After replacing the X-clamps with screws and washers and tightening down the heatsinks, my 360 worked, so I'm guessing the pressure was enough. I decided to overheat the GPU anyways, to avoid this problem later. While the 360 is working now, the framerates in Halo 3 seemed the same.

About the Halo 3 framerates: I've noticed that the framerate isn't very solid. When scrolling around or just moving, alone in a multiplayer map, there are a few noticeable framerate dips. They occur often, but they come and go quickly. An example would be in the Valhalla (The bloodgulch replacement), when I go inside the bunker, and just start walking in, I notice the slight framerate dip. It goes away quickly, as I pass whatever it was that caused the slowdown. The game is still very playable, runs at 30 FPS most of the time, but these dips are a little annoying.

Ah ok. I thought there was some magic way to disable HDR lighting and get 60 FPS lol. I know about the xclamp, alot of DIY been going around for that but I figured I just send mine back and get another one. The next RROD (If there is one, "DO NOT WANT" ) I may try that, or I may make it easier on myself and buy an xbox and return it to target, walmart etc.

It's so funny how Halo 3 runs so slow compared to Cod4. It's due to all the shiny HDR lighting so it cuts everything in half. I rather they take it off or scale it back so it runs at 40's FPS instead of 30 locked. Can't have everything.

In regards to the topic here, I am looking at the ee pc right now I might pick one up for another project I am working on (not xim related), will be putting linux and win xp on it for testing some code. Of course, that will be well after Xim 2 takes off -

"All of your Xim2 belong to us" that's my motto.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii