XIM Community

So I have come across an old POS lappy. . .  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Zombine

• View Profile
So I have come across an old POS lappy. . .
« on: 07:41 PM - 06/13/08 »
Now I am wondering how feasible it would be to use it as a cheap XIM 2 adapter. ;D

Does the XIM software have any OS or USB 2.0 requirements? The laptop has 98 but I can probably give it Windows 2000 and it also only has one USB 1.1 port. Installing XP isn't going to work with 64 MB of RAM.

I use a desktop as my main computer, I had a laptop but it was of no use to me and got rid of it. Do you guys think an OLD cheap POS lappy would be a feasible a "XIM adapter?"
« Last Edit: 12:20 AM - 06/14/08 by Zombine »

Offline xSir Nubx

• View Profile
Re: So I have come a cross an old POS lappy. . .
« Reply #1 on: 10:45 PM - 06/13/08 »
Lol that is funny. 64 MB? But if you can get that to work, that would be an easy cheap portable solution. Good luck. Ask grand master OBSiv.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #2 on: 11:22 PM - 06/13/08 »
Now I am wondering how feasible it would be to use it as a cheap XIM 2 adapter. ;D

Does the XIM software have any OS or USB 2.0 requirements? The laptop has 98 but I can probably give it Windows 2000 and it also only has one USB 1.1 port. Installing XP isn't going to work with 64 MB of RAM.

I use a desktop as my main computer, I had a laptop but it was of no use to me and got rid of it. Do you guys think an OLD cheap POS lappy would be a feasible a "XIM adapter?"

That laptop should be fine to use with XIM.
As far as your RAM issue, check out XPlite at http://www.litepc.com/. Ive seen XPlite builds as small as 170 Megs work fine with 64 megs of ram. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:50 PM - 06/13/08 »
WIERD. I posted first to this post, and it went somewhere lol, into cyber forest never to be seen again - EVER.

Anyway, what I was saying before the cyber gods came and stole my words. If you only have 64 megs of ram, the upgrade to say 256 is pretty @#$% cheap and is I believe less than 30 bucks these days. Then toss xp on it and wammo, done deal. Of course, you would have to use msconfig (to remove, disable services at startup and other stuff) to make the machine lean. The laptop I use to run xim is a 1ghz and has 256 ram, yet I got windows booting up using less than 75 megs. I disabled everything from shadow copies, to back up and restore, to remote desktop assistance, registry etc etc etc and that saved me about 54 megs or so alone, not counting all the services I didn't need to run.

So anyway, if you need help trimming the fat ask away I can help you tune it up to get it run xp effectively, if you so choose.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:20 AM - 06/14/08 »

I'd like to know how this laptop works out for you, keep us posted.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: So I have come across an old POS lappy. . .
« Reply #5 on: 12:34 AM - 06/14/08 »
I'm specifically building against the Windows XP SDK, but, that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work on Windows 2000 (I don't believe I'm dependent on anything that Win2000 doesn't have). But, Windows 9x will likely not work.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline blash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:09 AM - 06/14/08 »
So I assume this is all besides the fact that it's a USB 1.1 port?

360 Gamertag - WickedPheonix
Proud owner of the one and only glitter-glue XIM2

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 08:11 AM - 06/14/08 »
So I assume this is all besides the fact that it's a USB 1.1 port?
XIM2 is USB 1.1 (Full speed device).
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Zombine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:39 PM - 06/15/08 »
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to update in return.

I'm gonna give the cut-down XP a shot. The only trouble I expect are with drivers, but hopefully whatever drivers XP includes are enough for mouse and USB support.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03:10 PM - 06/16/08 »
Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to update in return.

I'm gonna give the cut-down XP a shot. The only trouble I expect are with drivers, but hopefully whatever drivers XP includes are enough for mouse and USB support.

On *most* laptops that I install on (which is 100's a month) I have put straight from winxp cd and usb's always work. If it only has one usb port then you'll need a hub which you can plug mouse/kb/xim into and should be fine. Although, on some laptops you may take too much juice and may need a "powered" usb hub to give you head room. Seems silly, but true.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:53 AM - 06/17/08 »
ahh the power passing usb hub. I remember in A+ class daisy chaining usb hubs, powered, non powered, powered, ect ect. fun times
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:59 AM - 06/17/08 »
ahh the power passing usb hub. I remember in A+ class daisy chaining usb hubs, powered, non powered, powered, ect ect. fun times

A+ that was my 3rd certification I got about 10+ years ago. Easy test if you know what you are doing, I went on to get my MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, Vmware, CISSP among other things. Currently going for CCNP.

Good stuff.

Ya daisy chaining usb hubs works to a point, but the power requirements can get tricky when cameras, scanners and the like start sucking juice off it.

Gamertag ii TR00F ii

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:03 AM - 06/17/08 »
I took an A+ course, Net & OS, and attended some of my cisco class. I really regret not getting certified for anything, my highschool provided transport to the local college on those subjects at no cost and payed some of the certification fee's.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:13 PM - 06/17/08 »

A+ that was my 3rd certification I got about 10+ years ago. Easy test if you know what you are doing, I went on to get my MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, CCNA, Vmware, CISSP among other things. Currently going for CCNP.

* OMGsus glares at nick study.... *CISSP TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE*!!!!

Nick, you know your supposed to put all those titles at the end of your name... mister nickstudy, CISSP.

Lets hope there is at least 2 ports on the system so that you can use a hub on only one of em for the keyboard and mouse. It should work even with one port, but in case there are issues I'd like to rule out the hub by plugging the XIM directly into the root hub. So if it only has one port, make sure you test the XIM on the one port alone using the laptop keyboard and trackpad (or keyboard nipple mouse) first before introducing hubs into the mix.

To clarify, even if the system has 2 ports, I'm 99.999% sure the system will still only have one root hub. What you are looking to do is plug the XIM directly into the root hub to test.

Sincerely,
OMGsus, CISSP.

P.S. Nick, good luck on the CCNP, you know they just pick "winners"... that's why they don't show you the test results  ;). I might go after the CCNP after I get back from DEFCON.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:22 PM - 06/17/08 »

* OMGsus glares at nick study.... *CISSP TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE*!!!!

Nick, you know your supposed to put all those titles at the end of your name... mister nickstudy, CISSP.

Lets hope there is at least 2 ports on the system so that you can use a hub on only one of em for the keyboard and mouse. It should work even with one port, but in case there are issues I'd like to rule out the hub by plugging the XIM directly into the root hub. So if it only has one port, make sure you test the XIM on the one port alone using the laptop keyboard and trackpad (or keyboard nipple mouse) first before introducing hubs into the mix.

To clarify, even if the system has 2 ports, I'm 99.999% sure the system will still only have one root hub. What you are looking to do is plug the XIM directly into the root hub to test.

Sincerely,
OMGsus, CISSP.

P.S. Nick, good luck on the CCNP, you know they just pick "winners"... that's why they don't show you the test results  ;). I might go after the CCNP after I get back from DEFCON.

mmmmmmm defcon. I have alot more certs than that, but job requires a TON of stuff. I have to go get citrix CCA now for reasons that are beyond me.

I want to go defcon this year but it's aug 8th I get back from honeymoon right before that and I know that trying to snake 2 days to go play "attacker role" at defcons notorious network games, as exciting as it is to ME is like "what the hell is that about" to her. lol. However that may be, I may try to make it for a day trip out there to at least make an appearance but 80 bucks for one day is caca, but we'll see. Should just charge per day! @#$% them.

Anyway, long thread for a "POS lappy" haha.
« Last Edit: 12:36 PM - 06/17/08 by nickstudy »

Gamertag ii TR00F ii