Hori TAC Pro  (Read 4347 times)

Offline strengthofopey

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: strengthofopey
  • PSN ID: strengthofopey
Hori TAC Pro
« on: 09:07 AM - 09/01/17 »
Hello everybody!

This is my first post as I just recently purchased and starting using the XIM4, which I absolutely love. I originally began using the Hori TAC Pro (with a Logitech G502 mouse) for PS4 and PS3, but I decided to give the XIM a try for my Xbox exclusive games. It is amazing!

Before I get to my question, I'd like to add that the Hori TAC Pro is compatible with XIM4. The post titled "XIM4 OFFICIAL HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY LIST" doesn't list it, should I mention this directly within that post?

Onto the issue. I've searched the forum and couldn't find much info on utilizing a TAC Pro through the XIM4, which is what I'm currently doing. It seems as if I don't have a lot of options for analog stick + mouse. Anyway, I've got everything configured perfectly except for the WASD keys and the analog stick. They both act as one in the same, and I'm trying to get around that.

With the TAC Pro on PS4, I can use the analog stick to move while binding the WASD keys to other actions. I can also do the opposite, move with the WASD keys and bind different actions to the analog stick directions.

When I use the TAC Pro on the XBox One via the XIM4, however, the WASD keys and the analog stick become locked together. For example, if I bind 'jump' to the "W" key, BOTH the "W" key and the forward moving direction on the analog stick will BOTH make you jump and move forward simultaniously. I cannot have a separate action on either, they are essentially mirrored.

The image below shows exactly what buttons (and the stick) the TAC Pro uses for WASD movement. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Hori TAC Pro
« Reply #1 on: 12:35 PM - 09/01/17 »
Hello and welcome to the community. Does this device have this behavior when connected to a PC as well?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline strengthofopey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:03 PM - 09/01/17 »
Hello OBsIV and thanks!

I've actually never tried to use this device on PC. I don't personally have a gaming PC at the moment, but my roommate does. If it would be at all helpful, I'll jump on his computer after work and see if the TAC behaves similarly.

I'll update as soon as I'm able to test it out. I appreciate you reading through my previous lengthy post :)

Offline DickDastardly

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ob1ublowme
  • PSN ID: DickDastardly
« Reply #3 on: 02:40 PM - 09/01/17 »
Don't want to hijack the thread but didn't want to make a new one.  I just ordered the Tac pro.  Will the "ps" button and touch pad work when connected to the Xim?  I want to play Killzone 4 but you need the touch pad for the game.   

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 05:10 PM - 09/01/17 »
I've actually never tried to use this device on PC. I don't personally have a gaming PC at the moment, but my roommate does. If it would be at all helpful, I'll jump on his computer after work and see if the TAC behaves similarly.

I was mainly curious if this behavior as described happens on another host that isn't a PlayStation.

I appreciate you reading through my previous lengthy post :)

Of course, we are always glad to help.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 04:17 AM - 09/02/17 »
Don't want to hijack the thread but didn't want to make a new one.  I just ordered the Tac pro.  Will the "ps" button and touch pad work when connected to the Xim?  I want to play Killzone 4 but you need the touch pad for the game.
You can pick up the DualShock controller and use the touchpad when it's connected to the Xim.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline strengthofopey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:15 AM - 09/02/17 »

I haven't had my XIM for very long, so I haven't yet tried to run the TAC through the XIM on the PS4, though I will soon. I'll let you know how it goes, but as far as the PS button working, it should. On XOne, I can bind the PS button to any action without issues; I've currently got it mapped to the XBox Home button. I've mapped the "press in"-type click of the touch pad while playing on Xbox, but I haven't tried to do anything with the touch-functionality of the touch pad.

OBsIV's suggestion is exactly how I go through menus in games, switching over to the controller when necessary.

By the way OBsIV, I haven't been able to use my roommate's computer, but I should be able to get on there today and see how the TAC Pro's movement behaves. 

Offline strengthofopey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:47 AM - 09/02/17 »
I was mainly curious if this behavior as described happens on another host that isn't a PlayStation.

So I was just able to test it out.

The Hori TAC Pro acts the same on PC as it does through the XIM with the Xbox One. The WASD keys and the analog stick movements/actions are mirrored together.

I'll be using the TAC through XIM on PS4 soon, I'll post the results of its movement behavior when I do. Please let me know if I can help out in any other way.

Thanks!

Offline DickDastardly

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ob1ublowme
  • PSN ID: DickDastardly
« Reply #8 on: 04:55 PM - 09/03/17 »
Just tested with Xim.  It works as a keyboard but the touch pad and "ps" button do not recognize it as a Ps4 controller.  I did not try remapping to see if that would work or not.  I dont like the feel of it as a keyboard control.  I found another keypad that feels better.  Besides its kind of expensive if your only using it with the xim and no ps4 controller options like the touch pad and "ps" button. 

Offline strengthofopey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:34 PM - 09/04/17 »
Just tested with Xim.  It works as a keyboard but the touch pad and "ps" button do not recognize it as a Ps4 controller.  I did not try remapping to see if that would work or not.  I dont like the feel of it as a keyboard control.  I found another keypad that feels better.  Besides its kind of expensive if your only using it with the xim and no ps4 controller options like the touch pad and "ps" button.

Interesting. The main reason for using the TAC was because of its analog stick, but now that I've been using the XIM, there is no way I can go back to simply using the TAC on PS4 sans XIM.

Also, on the XOne, all of the Halo games within "The Master Chief Collection" feel amazing, but my TAC's stick loses its variable-input functionality (I don't know the actual name of this function). In other words, any direction on the stick goes from 0% to 100%, no in-between. I can't creep unless I'm holding a key bound (binded?) with "walk."

And since I'm losing four buttons now (I basically can't reprogram the WASD, and I'm not utilizing them because I'm using the thumbstick), I'm considering ditching the TAC and going with a better device with a dpad. I'm leaning toward the Orbweaver (and perhaps modding the thumbstick), but I have to wait a week or two to recoup my bank account a little.

One more thing I'll add when using the TAC Pro by itself on PS4. There is no way to bind a few of the things that the XIM can easily bind. The TAC Pro is limits itself by its binding method, the user must hold the button to bind (on TAC), then hold the button on the controller to emulate, and then you release both.

For example, the mouse's scroll wheel can only have an action bound to its click, you cannot bind actions to scroll-up or scroll-down because these are not inputs that can be "held in place," if that makes sense. And even some strange things like the PS4 button, it's input is normally locked; through a XIM, however, you can bind any action to it. You can only bind actions to the click-in function of the analog stick going through a XIM, without a XIM, this feature is literally worthless. I didn't even know that the click-in could accept input until I tried it on a whim with the XIM plugged in. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that this is unbindable without the XIM.

Do you mind if I ask what keypad you are using?

Offline Villads11

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Villads11
« Reply #10 on: 03:05 PM - 11/14/17 »
I bought my hori tac pro almost a year ago now. I just recently found out about the xim4 so i bought one and it came today. Almost this whole day i have been trying to figure out how my hori tac pro can work with the xim4. My logitech G502 mouse does but not the (hori tac pro) keypad. In the manager app the mouse controls shows up when i press the buttons but it doesn't when im pressing buttons on my keypad. I have downloaded the latest firmware so i dont understand what im doing wrong. Please help!

Offline kevy

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: kevyh
« Reply #11 on: 11:35 AM - 11/26/17 »
I have been trying a slew of controllers over the past days... What I found for the Hori Tac Pro keypad was selecting the switch on the bottom to PC (I think the selections are PS4, PS3, PC or just kybrd). It worked straight away.

I played for a while but actually found some wrist fatigue.

For now I really like using the Sony PS3 Move Nav controller and a Logitech G900 mouse. Both devices work wirelessly. I still may look into a keypad of some sort in the future.

I liked the idea of WASD or the stick on the Hori but I was not able to map out the stick positions to different functions (like a D pad) while using WASD.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 04:05 PM - 11/26/17 »
Welcome to the community. Are you not happy with the analog movement of the Nav?