XIM Community

FAQ: MAX TURN SPEED  (Read 3546 times)

Offline A Big Ol Bully

• View Profile
FAQ: MAX TURN SPEED
« on: 10:39 AM - 07/25/17 »
So it seems like any thread you read has the same few questions so I wanted to address them in a dedicated thread. I'm hoping if you find this useful it can stay high on the forums.

How do I determine my absolute maximum turn speed?
1) Turn your in-game sensitivity all the way to maximum
2) Turn any aim acceleration/smoothing off
3) Now take your xbox controller and pin the stick to one side: that is your maximum turn speed and you will NEVER go faster.

Remember don't think of the xim as replacing your controller but rather replacing your fingers, it just puts those commands into the controller but you're always limited to that and the game.

Can I use a curve or boost to turn faster?
No

A boost or curve can help you get to the max turn speed faster but so does sensitivity. There are plenty of threads explaining the difference between a Boost, Curve, Sensitivity (in-game and on Xim) and DPI so I won't go into them.

Does Turn assist make me turn faster?
No

Why does Call of Duty feel just like PC and Overwatch feels like dragging a rake through a hot pile of garbage?
It has to do with how they implement aiming systems. COD was created on PC and then ported to Xbox at a time when you just kinda moved the game over. It created a high learning curve for gamers and that's why COD and Medal of Honor (remember that one) were so hard. Then comes along HALO. Bungie creates this "hold your hand" autoaim where any drunk bro at a party can pickup a controller and jump in. They've had a lot of success with that and it's worse in Destiny where the aim assist is even a perk on weapons. Many game developers had these 2 models to create their Console FPS games on and companies like DICE and CRYTEK went with the COD/PC model and Ubisoft and Blizzard went with the Halo model.

When I turn I just see the flashing lights all the time.
That's not a question, you monster!
...and it just means you're moving your wrist/arm faster than the controller can turn. The goal for a true linear experience is so that you hit that max speed right as your hit the fastest you're going to swipe that mouse. You can do this by starting at the very end of your curve and lowering the values until you no longer see the flashing. What you do with your curve after that is up to you.

I hope this helps, I'm just kinda sick of seeing the question in the forums and hopefully this could be a nice quick link for people to answer the question.
« Last Edit: 05:14 PM - 07/25/17 by A Big Ol Bully »

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: SkubaniecTSARGA
Re: FAQ: MAX TURN SPEED
« Reply #1 on: 01:04 PM - 07/25/17 »
Moreover, overcoming the max turn speed requires key sequencing (which is cheating).

Offline BlacKnight

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Fish4FunNProfit
« Reply #2 on: 03:51 PM - 07/25/17 »
Thank you for this, especially the curve adjustment advice :) More stuff to play with tonight.

Offline Supernatural X

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:09 PM - 07/25/17 »
Awesome thread man, good to see clear explanations for common questions, will definitely help new Xim users.

Offline A Big Ol Bully

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:10 AM - 07/31/17 »
Awesome thread man, good to see clear explanations for common questions, will definitely help new Xim users.
Thanks lets hope people read it, I already see a new thread asking the same f'ing question... READ PEOPLE!

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:30 AM - 07/31/17 »
Thanks lets hope people read it, I already see a new thread asking the same f'ing question... READ PEOPLE!

Lol ... welcome to my world. ;)

I'll add a link to this in the Advanced Settings thread, doubt it will help stop the questions, but...
ADVANCED SETUPS

Offline Supernatural X

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:01 PM - 07/31/17 »

Lol ... welcome to my world. ;)

I'll add a link to this in the Advanced Settings thread, doubt it will help stop the questions, but...

This is a sticky worthy thread IMO everyone wonders this when they get a Xim and it'll eventually get lost in the sea of threads on this forum.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:38 PM - 07/31/17 »
That's why I offered to add it to a sticky that has over 85,000 views.  ;)
ADVANCED SETUPS

Offline casual_gamer_

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:01 PM - 07/31/17 »
Moreover, overcoming the max turn speed requires key sequencing (which is cheating).

Care to elaborate? I am an ex PC gamer then became full time real life player but on a whim my wife gave me a PS4 which is very convenient to get my gaming fix on. But the ONLY game I have and play is The Division and turn speeds feels so slow like dragging through mud. If there is a way to combat that - cheating or not - I'd be willing to explore it more.

Offline A Big Ol Bully

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:38 AM - 08/01/17 »
That's why I offered to add it to a sticky that has over 85,000 views.  ;)
That would be good

Offline A Big Ol Bully

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08:41 AM - 08/01/17 »

Care to elaborate? I am an ex PC gamer then became full time real life player but on a whim my wife gave me a PS4 which is very convenient to get my gaming fix on. But the ONLY game I have and play is The Division and turn speeds feels so slow like dragging through mud. If there is a way to combat that - cheating or not - I'd be willing to explore it more.
Nope, unfortunately Ubisoft really went with the controlled aim assisted, aim accelerated system. Ubisoft is really one studio that I'd recommend going PC (if you can) even at lower settings IMHO.
Crossing my fingers that Playerunknown Battlegrounds has a nice aiming system for Console but since they're taking another 7 months to port it I'm assuming they're designing a new aiming system which will probably have aim smoothing and a low turn cap but who knows.

Offline Supernatural X

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:19 PM - 08/01/17 »
Most third person games have bad turning speeds and some also have bad aim mechanics (GTA V) so PUBG will probably be bad with Xim on console.

Offline casual_gamer_

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:32 PM - 08/02/17 »
Another question. The only game I play (for now) is The Division and what I notice when I do this exercise is that when I pin the stick to either side, the first 360 degrees is not as fast as the 2nd or 3rd until I hit the "max turn speed".  Is there a way to achieve that "max turn speed" in a game like this? I'm not sure if other games are like this but I tried this with The Division and the first 360 is not as fast as the 2nd or 3rd.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:31 PM - 08/02/17 »
This may be one of the games with timed acceleration where when the stick is pegged it will pick up speed. There is not counter to this aside from not pegging the stick during your turn.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos