XIM Community

New Surround Sound Options on Xbox One  (Read 842 times)

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
New Surround Sound Options on Xbox One
« on: 07:18 PM - 06/11/17 »
Sorry if this has already been posted but has anyone noticed the new surround sound options on the Xbox One?

One of them should be there by default called "Windows Sonic for Headphones" under settings, Display & Sound, Audio Output and Headset Audio. You also should enable the checkbox for virtual surround sound.

Another one seems to be enabled by downloading an app from the Windows Store called "Dolby Access". This enables "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" which appears in the same area as Sonic.

When trying both of these, you should disable any surround effects that you may already have in place. For example, those with Astro Mixamps, make sure to hit the Dolby button to disable Dolby Surround otherwise you will end up running double surround algorithms and it will sound awful. You should also set the Mixamp to it's core mode (so it doesn't do any of it's own processing on the sound to make footsteps louder and stuff like that).

After trying both, I'd have to say I prefer Windows Sonic for Headphones more because it sounds more realistic, rich and it is alot easier to figure out where sounds are coming from.

Dolby Atmos sounds a bit unrealistic and there is more distance between you and the sounds so it is tougher to immediately figure out where the sound is coming from.

But IMO both options sound better than using the Astro Mixamp's built in Dolby Surround.
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: New Surround Sound Options on Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: 08:12 AM - 06/12/17 »
the real question is, does any of these beat Dolby Night mode which is close to wallhacking? :^)
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:22 PM - 06/12/17 »
the real question is, does any of these beat Dolby Night mode which is close to wallhacking? :^)

What is Dolby Night Mode?  ;D
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:01 AM - 06/13/17 »
its a feature of the creative x7, what it does is it drags all sound sources much closer to you which lets you hear pretty much everything without reducing the overall soundstage of your headphone
and having the sbx of the creative x7 being active greatly helps with vertical audio positioning, which is something dolby isnt really good in
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Admin