DPI vs Sensitivity  (Read 2635 times)

Offline ThrustBone

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ThrustBone
  • PSN ID: ThrustBone
DPI vs Sensitivity
« on: 06:40 AM - 05/23/17 »
Hi,

New to XIM, have a question regarding the relationship between my mouse's Max DPI vs the sensitivity of the xim4 and game I'm playing.

I'm using my Xim in conjunction with a razer naga and a stinky foot pedal to get around a disability that prevents me from having use of my left hand. I've set my mouse to its maximum dpi (8200dpi) as per the instructional video, but the xim4 has no sensitivity rating that comes even remotely comes close to matching it. Is there a way I could set up my mouse to work better with my xim and do away with things like frame jumping and pixel skipping ?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: DPI vs Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: 08:00 AM - 05/23/17 »
Make sure your DPI is maximised on the mouse and that all of the Naga bindings are set to their native defaults in Synapse. Synapse settings like bindings do not store correctly on-board Razer mice, but DPI, polling and lighting does.

Tap the DPI up button a few times while connected to Xim and double-check that the DPI has stuck to the mouse. You can do this by forcing a save in Synapse using the Sensitivity Stages tab.

Also note that you have no control over the stages, the mouse uses the factory defaults when not connected to Synapse (e.g 12.5%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% max DPI), hence the need to hit DPI up a few times to get to the max DPI.

At 8200 DPI, Xim sensitivity for HIP should be in the region of 20-25 for HIP and 15-20 for ADS. If your Naga is really slow at that sensitivity, hit the DPI button on the mouse. Also check that in-game sensitivity is maxed. Once you've nailed all that down, it's also worth tuning your mouse surface correctly.

If you still have pixel-skipping and frame-jumping, it could be your sensitivity is set way too high (and ultimately slowing the mouse down), the mouse needs more power (I've had a dozen Razer mice and none worked properly on a Xim without a powered USB hub) or the sensor just plain sucks (true of almost all Razer mice).

An alternative and better mouse for Xim would be the Logitech G502 if you need a lot of buttons. After suffering 5+ years of Razer mice on three generations of Xim, I swapped to a Logitech G303 a year or so ago and never looked back. Anything with a Pixart PMW 3310, 3360, 3366 or newer sensor is a perfect match for Xim and I can't recommend the recent Logitechs highly enough.

Finally, be a little bit careful with your Stinky bindings. Modifier keys like Ctrl, Alt and Shift don't work (by design) and Stinky can prevent other keys from binding correctly in Xim Manager if plugged in at the time. I bind my Stinky to say 1,2,3,4 and use the kb to configure Xim Manager with those bindings. Once the bindings are saved, plug the Stinky in and the Xim will pick up it's presses as 1,2,3,4 and respond with the correct controller bindings. If you've bound Stinky to W,A,S,D then you've already got that covered ;)
« Last Edit: 08:18 AM - 05/23/17 by antithesis »

Offline ThrustBone

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ThrustBone
  • PSN ID: ThrustBone
« Reply #2 on: 08:30 AM - 05/23/17 »
I actually map WASD to the 1 2 3 and 5 keys on my Naga. Something about having those keys undermy thumb as oppsed to under my foot just feels more comfortable to me.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:33 PM - 05/23/17 »
The Stinky's pretty clunky, so it makes more sense to bind WASD to the Naga.

There aren't many alternatives (at least not better ones) to the Naga for your use-case. Try the DPI stuff and tune your mouse pad as the starting point.

Your experience with Xim4 should be smooth with an 8200 DPI Razer mouse, as long as the DPI is high enough and Xim sensitivity isn't over 100. If things still feel off at 8200 (fast but jittery), try halving DPI to 4100 and double your Xim sensitivity settings (about 40-50 HIP, 30-40 ADS).

I have a lefty Naga, Ouroboros and Orochi running at 8200 DPI. None of them are jittery (nor are they as buttery smooth as the G303), but I do need to run them through a powered USB 2.0 hub for predictable performance.

If you are tempted to go that route, plug m/kb/Stinky into a powered USB 2.0 hub, hub into Xim port 1 or 2. As long as the controller remains connected to the Xim4, it should work fine as Xim supports USB hubs.
« Last Edit: 04:38 PM - 05/23/17 by antithesis »

Offline Smasher03

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: XVengeance03
« Reply #4 on: 08:09 PM - 06/18/17 »
Hello I am new as well to the XIM community. I as well have a Razor Naga and i cant seem to get the dpi to go up anymore. I connected it to the razor program as well change the setting to 5600DPI however in game it still feels a little sluggish. Hip is 50 and ADS is 41, but it still feels slow. Do i need a better mouse or what?

thanks

Offline mk14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:22 PM - 12/03/17 »
Hello I am new as well to the XIM community. I as well have a Razor Naga and i cant seem to get the dpi to go up anymore. I connected it to the razor program as well change the setting to 5600DPI however in game it still feels a little sluggish. Hip is 50 and ADS is 41, but it still feels slow. Do i need a better mouse or what?

thanks

What game(s) are you playing? If its COD WWII I found using boost helps somewhat. Of all the COD games I have used XIM (before 3 now 4) for I have found COD WWII the most difficult to get the setup right.