XIM Community

Help getting an aim smoothing/acceleration option added for Rainbow 6 Siege  (Read 3491 times)

Offline MyName1

• View Profile
I've found two things

1) The deadzone is changing on PS4. It seems to have a higher chance of changing if I alter an in-game setting, then the next round it will be different until the next round or match. Powercycling XIM4 doesn't help, it's definitely game related.

I haven't been able to reproduce it 100% of the time but I've been most successful by changing the right stick deadzone then changing it back. The deadzone will be incorrect for the next match. It's still playable but very noticeable when making small movements.

2) There are small velocity jumps at low magnitude and possibly throughout the look mechanic. You don't need a XIM4 to reproduce this, just a deadzone tool. I stopped counting after three jumps. These are sudden bursts of speed. Movement doesn't continue to ramp up, it ramps then suddenly it's much faster, then ramps, then faster again. This is what is causing the acog issues at high sensitivity.

Unfortunately these are game issues that can only be solved by the game developer.

Sorry Mist but i think i dont understand this  :(
Does the DZ change from Time to Time or what Do you mean?  Do we have to change it from Time to Time?  Can somebody explain this a little Bit more simple?
I play diamond rank now and im very happy with the ST and the game at all.
i play without curves or boosts or something like this and it feels pretty good to me(sorry for potato english its not my native language  :()

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
1) The deadzone is changing on PS4. It seems to have a higher chance of changing if I alter an in-game setting, then the next round it will be different until the next round or match. Powercycling XIM4 doesn't help, it's definitely game related.

I haven't been able to reproduce it 100% of the time but I've been most successful by changing the right stick deadzone then changing it back. The deadzone will be incorrect for the next match. It's still playable but very noticeable when making small movements.
Didn't know about this. Sounds more like a problem with the game settings rather than a problem with look mechanics.

I'll try to catch one such anomaly.

2) There are small velocity jumps at low magnitude and possibly throughout the look mechanic. You don't need a XIM4 to reproduce this, just a deadzone tool. I stopped counting after three jumps. These are sudden bursts of speed. Movement doesn't continue to ramp up, it ramps then suddenly it's much faster, then ramps, then faster again.
In what direction do they occur mostly? Up, right, down, left?

This is what is causing the acog issues at high sensitivity.
Yup, you can see it best with ACOG, as it has the highest [max turn speed]/[FOV] ratio.

Offline Driscoll

• View Profile
« Last Edit: 09:18 PM - 07/06/19 by imanhp »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
The deadzone changing is a result of a game issue. I wrote "next match" earlier when that should be next round. Here is an example of the issue. Some of the numbers are estimates, I didn't save the real numbers.

Round 1:
Round starts with 10% game deadzone = deadzone of about 6400
Change 5% to 30% = deadzone setting of let's say 12,000
Change 30% back to 5% = deadzone of 4260

Round 2:
Round starts with deadzone of 5% and value of 4260
Change game deadzone to 10%. The value is now around 8,000, not 6400
Change game deadzone to 30%. The value is now around 15,000, not 12,000

Change game deadzone to 10%. Finish the round.

Round 3:
Round starts with deadzone of 10% and a value of 6400

- - -

These numbers are estimates but they give you the idea of what's going on. I reproduced this twice but couldn't a third time. I don't actively play this game so there is a chance that it's just random and occurs on its own.

I only checked left/right X axis but I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the Y axis too. It's in steps of 256, vsync doesn't affect it.

This is easily visible using a deadzone tool on the house map, master bedroom, look at the wallpaper.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline gravkaw

• View Profile
The main reason that I haven't reported that specific issue is due to the fact that there is a lot of hate toward mouse & keyboard users on console (Reddit and official Ubisoft forums). You could end up getting banned if it's true that Ubisoft considers it to be cheating (unsure).
You play with the peripheral that works best for you, plus input modulators and key switching are legal. Only key sequence macros are illegal.

I found out what their stance is on the use of mouse and keyboard on consoles and it appears that they are against it (official response on the subject: https://nf.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/6a0myx/ban_mkb_usage_on_console/dhatz6n/?context=3). They also mention that they've blocked the use of the official Sony licensed Hori mouse and keyboard for R6 Siege.

Offline Driscoll

• View Profile
mist i remember you checking the xbox version
did u find such results on xbox version as well or you did not notice anything

Offline MyName1

• View Profile
The deadzone changing is a result of a game issue. I wrote "next match" earlier when that should be next round. Here is an example of the issue. Some of the numbers are estimates, I didn't save the real numbers.

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

- - -

These numbers are estimates but they give you the idea of what's going on. I reproduced this twice but couldn't a third time. I don't actively play this game so there is a chance that it's just random and occurs on its own.

I only checked left/right X axis but I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the Y axis too. It's in steps of 256, vsync doesn't affect it.

This is easily visible using a deadzone tool on the house map, master bedroom, look at the wallpaper.

Sry but im obviously to stupid to understand this  :o
Do the deadzone change itself in game?

Offline Driscoll

• View Profile
yes the dead zones change multiple times a round by itself which affects the micro movements and there is nothing xim can do

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

- - -

I made around 50 measurements (to the right) and I didn't catch a single anomaly.

With deadzone setting set to 5%, the actual deadzone seems to be +9.80% (8C in hex).
With deadzone setting set to 10%, the actual deadzone seems to be +19.22% (98 in hex).
With deadzone setting set to 30%, the actual deadzone seems to be +51.37% (C1 in hex).

I tried varying pretty much everything as randomly as I could.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I wouldn't expect you to hit the deadzone change issue unless you spent all day on it, I did.

Depending on how granular your deadzone tool is you may not see the velocity jumps either. Assuming the deadzone tool interprets stick positions in in 16bits you should see the jump every 256 units.

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
I wouldn't expect you to hit the deadzone change issue unless you spent all day on it, I did.
If it's that rare we should just ignore it.

Depending on how granular your deadzone tool is you may not see the velocity jumps either. Assuming the deadzone tool interprets stick positions in in 16bits you should see the jump every 256 units.
I make the measurements on PS4, so I do it 8-bit. I always normalise the actual value to percentage, because I use a Titan Two:
([actual value]/127.5 - 1)*100 = [percentage]

It's pretty much expected that when you input a 16-bit value into a console that was programmed to support an 8-bit value there will be a jump every 256 units...
« Last Edit: 01:32 AM - 05/15/17 by TSARGA »

Offline Driscoll

• View Profile
Give your support to this one too:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1667653-Request-advanced-look-controls-settings

I did
Hopefully we get an answer soon
I feel like we can even post another one in a few days

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
I've found two things

2) There are small velocity jumps at low magnitude and possibly throughout the look mechanic. You don't need a XIM4 to reproduce this, just a deadzone tool. I stopped counting after three jumps. These are sudden bursts of speed. Movement doesn't continue to ramp up, it ramps then suddenly it's much faster, then ramps, then faster again. This is what is causing the acog issues at high sensitivity.

Unfortunately these are game issues that can only be solved by the game developer.

So report or not?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
You're right on point 2, it's a non issue.

If there are cases where micro movement is noticeably different from one round to the next then it will be related to point 1. Are there cases where users find that in some rounds very small movement isn't registered but then the next round it's fine?

Admin