XIM Community

Poll

Would you like to have them free or are you willing to pay an annual fee to have more of them and  to support Obsiv?

10$
20$
30$
40$
50$
more
No, I want them free

Latest Obsiv news: Smart Translations will be free  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Gods AFK

• MVP
  • Your not in hell, that's just Metal.
    • View Profile
    • What?
  • Gamertag: God Loves Metal
Re: Latest Obsiv news: Smart Translations will be free
« Reply #30 on: 01:37 PM - 06/05/10 »
I think free Smart Translators will mean more buyers of the XIM3. I would be more interested in buying a product knowing that after my purchase there will be no additional charges to allow me to use it with my favorite games. I would have gladly paid for each but I think Obsiv is making the right choice from a consumer standpoint.
Headphones (Full-Sized): Denon AH-D7000, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1, Ultrasone PRO 900, Grado RS1i

IEM's: Sennheiser IE8, Westone UM3, Ultimate Ears UE4 PRO

Amp / DACS: Burson Audio HA-160D, Audio GD-FUN, Matrix M-Stage, NuForce Icon HDP, Tubemagic D1

Offline SuicidalSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02:09 PM - 06/05/10 »
Could be a good incentive to purchase the XIM3 if the smart configs were free.  Would be cool if they were released for the XIM2 for a fee, maybe $5 per config.  Even if they were available for the XIM2, them being free for the XIM3 would be an added incentive to upgrade while not leaving the XIM2 people completely out.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04:12 PM - 06/05/10 »
Could be a good incentive to purchase the XIM3 if the smart configs were free.  Would be cool if they were released for the XIM2 for a fee, maybe $5 per config.  Even if they were available for the XIM2, them being free for the XIM3 would be an added incentive to upgrade while not leaving the XIM2 people completely out.

From a glance that seems nice. But obsiv has explained many times there will be no more smart profiles for xim2 for security reasons.
« Last Edit: 09:11 AM - 06/06/10 by mist4fun »
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline SuicidalSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11:12 PM - 06/05/10 »
I know there isn't going to be one for the XIM2.  Was just saying it would be a good way to milk some money out of those that don't plan on buying a XIM3.  Out of curiosity, what security reasons? 

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11:18 PM - 06/05/10 »
The data of the smart translation can be stolen by the competition if unencrypted.
Crusade atm: none

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01:01 AM - 06/06/10 »
Could be a good incentive to purchase the XIM3 if the smart configs were free.  Would be cool if they were released for the XIM2 for a fee, maybe $5 per config.  Even if they were available for the XIM2, them being free for the XIM3 would be an added incentive to upgrade while not leaving the XIM2 people completely out.
ore
From a glance that seems nice. But obsiv has explained many times there will be no more smart profiles for xim2 for security reasons.

Is that quite right? I thought Obsiv didn't want to release smart profiles for xim2 as there was no means of preventing people from sharing them etc.....if they are free then that is no longer a problem.

The security concerns were about haveing a full time connection for the pc to the xim3.....that was my understanding of it anyway

thinking further I guess he would still want to prevent someone that prehaps cloned his hardware from having access to the smart mouse profiles....oh well.
« Last Edit: 01:14 AM - 06/06/10 by technogiant »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01:12 AM - 06/06/10 »
Its the setting itself that is unique and not reproducible without Obsivs know how. Its a feature that distances the XIM3 even more from the competitive products. They cant have a perfect setting.

Offline Tarun

• MVP
  • Cheers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01:37 AM - 06/06/10 »
Its a clever bit of marketing from Obsiv to have the smart profiles for free during launch, they'll be off the shelves in no time. For many consumers this could be the deal breaker and to have additional value at no extra cost, great! However the value of the Smart profiles needs to be communicated, so consumers understand what they are getting for free and for future reference if Obsiv decides to charge.

Even if you did some simple risk/reward analysis for initial launch to compensate for an intial $20 (profile) for the purchase of a XIM3, its a no brainer, he can implement a costing strategy for the smart profiler, once he believes he's sold enough XIM3 units. Furthermore He's already put the security in place in case he wants to charge for profiles in the future.
« Last Edit: 05:42 AM - 06/06/10 by Tarun »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02:12 AM - 06/06/10 »
The ST have several advantages, you will not only get a perfect setting but you don't have search and try out and optimize different configs to your need and hardware or generate your own. It is a lot of money Obsiv chooses to wave off even if he would take 50ct/ST. Obsiv said that he wants to make a lot of smart translations. Still if there would be money coming in from the translations Obsiv could employ someone who does that work and buy additional hardware. I would really like to see ST for just every game where it makes sense and that is much more than the most played/most sold List, maybe even Arcade games. If itís a one man show this will not happen as he simply has no time for it. In addition XIM3 owners will like to have the ST as fast as possible after release. I know it will be one or two weeks as Obsiv said right now and of course people can live with it. With additional hardware and employees this could be realized faster. I really think the quality, quantity and release speed of the smart translations will be the key to success. If I cant make or I do not want to make a config myself the XIM3 is useless until someone puts one for my game in the request section and hopefully its good. Some games will never appear in the requests. That is why I want Obsiv to get money for it, I am not here long enough to really value Obsivs work.  

Offline Mike B

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12:32 PM - 06/06/10 »
What is the procedure in making the ST's, I remember reading something but it has slipped my mind.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12:43 PM - 06/06/10 »
Its some automated process with a capture card and a program evaluating if I understand right. Can take up to two days and has to be babysitted.

Admin