XIM Community

New to the XIM scene  (Read 7505 times)

Offline 4shotter

• View Profile
New to the XIM scene
« on: 11:04 PM - 05/30/08 »
Hey everyone! I've been doing some research on the xfps and it led me to this site.  I knew nothing about XIM until today.  I plan on purchasing the XIM2 when its released soon hopefully.  I play halo 3 and thats the game I will be playing when I get my xfps sniper or w/e its called.  I'm already a 50 on halo, I just want to see how much of a difference halo is with a mouse/keyboard.

I have a few questions before I make all my purchases into this new hobby.  First off, do I need a certain version of xfps sniper?  I'm thinking about getting the tan one, which i guess is the newest.  Also, How horrible is it to play with just that, and not the XIM?  Because that is how I will be using it until XIM2 is released.

Hope i'm not wasting anyones time because I didn't search first but I thought this is ok since its my introduction to the XIM world also  ;)

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
Re: New to the XIM scene
« Reply #1 on: 11:14 PM - 05/30/08 »
Hey everyone! I've been doing some research on the xfps and it led me to this site.  I knew nothing about XIM until today.  I plan on purchasing the XIM2 when its released soon hopefully.  I play halo 3 and thats the game I will be playing when I get my xfps sniper or w/e its called.  I'm already a 50 on halo, I just want to see how much of a difference halo is with a mouse/keyboard.

I have a few questions before I make all my purchases into this new hobby.  First off, do I need a certain version of xfps sniper?  I'm thinking about getting the tan one, which i guess is the newest.  Also, How horrible is it to play with just that, and not the XIM?  Because that is how I will be using it until XIM2 is released.

Hope i'm not wasting anyones time because I didn't search first but I thought this is ok since its my introduction to the XIM world also  ;)

ANY xfps 360 will work. Find the cheapest one on ebay since the new units only try to improve on their keyboard and mouse translation (you can't polish a turd). XIM uses The xfps's playstation controler port which is the only decent thing on the xfps; besides the turbo switches if your into that.

If you plan on waiting until xim2 is out then don't buy the xfps at all since xim2 doesn't need the xfps at all. The only reason you would want to buy an xfps is A) your a masochist... or B) your going to buy a first gen XIM which only requires the xfps to bypass Microsoft's peripheral security.

I wrote up a review of KB/M options for the 360 here. XIM is included at the end. Hope this helps.

http://nvirt.com/2008/02/02/xbox-360-keyboard-and-mouse-round-2-2/

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:42 AM - 05/31/08 »
This is interesting; a gamepad level 50 Halo player approaching the xim :)

Do you have previous experience with m&k?

The XFPS alone, is in my humble opinion a piece of crap. I have the XFPS Sniper (the green one) and playing with it really has very little in common with what I'm used to on the PC. Especially in halo you see its limits, and a gamepad is much better.

I suggest you to wait the a couple of weeks. XIM2 will be out soon, and it would make little sense to test the XIM1 (which in halo, although the xim is atm the best m&k device, is not that great).

cheers,
meme

Offline 4shotter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:38 AM - 05/31/08 »
Oh wow I didn't know that you don't need the xfps with the xim2.  Thanks for clearing that up before I wasted my hard earned money, ha.  Memento, what is m&k?  I'm clueless.

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:12 AM - 05/31/08 »
short form for "mouse and keyboard", sorry :D

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 09:21 AM - 05/31/08 »
I'm already a 50 on halo, I just want to see how much of a difference halo is with a mouse/keyboard.

I've been seeing more high-forty people around the forums, and you are the first 50 I've heard of. I love to see this because I really want feedback from this other side too (excellent controller players looking for m/k on the 360 as opposed to excellent PC players).

Welcome to the community!
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline 4shotter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:39 PM - 05/31/08 »
thanks OB!  Yea I watched your video last night with you using XIM and I loved how you could turn around so fast.  I'm pretty @#$% excited to see how this changes my accuracy and just gameplay in general.   ;D

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 01:34 PM - 05/31/08 »
What look sensitivity do you play with normally?

Offline 4shotter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:16 PM - 05/31/08 »
I change alot from around 3 - 5.  Right now I'm on 3.  My BR seems the steadiest for 4 shots on 3.

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:44 PM - 05/31/08 »
The Idea with xim is that you can set the in game sensitivity to 10, i.e. turn at the highest speed, but still be able to do fine aiming comfortably due to the mouse being more versatile.

Offline 4shotter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:56 PM - 05/31/08 »
The Idea with xim is that you can set the in game sensitivity to 10, i.e. turn at the highest speed, but still be able to do fine aiming comfortably due to the mouse being more versatile.

makes sense.

now will the xim2 work with a wireless controller, but with the plug and play kit?  Or will I be buying a new wired controller when I buy an XIM2?

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #11 on: 06:18 PM - 05/31/08 »

makes sense.

now will the xim2 work with a wireless controller, but with the plug and play kit?  Or will I be buying a new wired controller when I buy an XIM2?

The full XIM 2 kit comes with a wired controller. It is not compatible with the wireless.

-Derek

Offline 4shotter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07:05 PM - 05/31/08 »
Really?  Hell yea!  Can't wait!

Offline PhilAshio

• MVP
  • Troll in the Mist, 4fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:07 PM - 05/31/08 »
I was wondering, will I be able to use the wired controller with xim on it to play games? Also, is it possible to decrease the deadzone on a gamepad using xim?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 09:08 PM - 05/31/08 »
I was wondering, will I be able to use the wired controller with xim on it to play games? Also, is it possible to decrease the deadzone on a gamepad using xim?

All dead zone is applied per-game in its on unique way. XIM can model all dead zone "geometries" that I know of today.

Admin