XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Xim4 losing connection to Xbox One  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
[ACTIVE] Xim4 losing connection to Xbox One
« on: 07:22 AM - 02/28/17 »
I recently got a USB switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD8I2OY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and randomly when I switch back to the Xim from my computer, my keyboard and mouse lose connections.

Before I had the switch, I would sometimes run into the issue where my keyboard and mouse would stop working, but loading the profile with Xim manager would solve that issue.  If I go into global settings (iOS app), "Disable USB device hot swapping" is not checked.

I tried unplugging the Xim while my xbox is one, but that doesn't work.  I have to do a hard reset on my Xbox One to get my keyboard and mouse working again.  Is there something wrong with my Xim? 

I'm using a Logitech G502 mouse and Logitech G410 keyboard.  I keep the lights on the keyboard off almost all of the time to not draw power.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 04:20 PM - 03/22/17 by mist4fun »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Xim4 losing connection to Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: 09:52 AM - 02/28/17 »
There may be nothing wrong with your XIM4. Some switches can have this behavior, they don't always provide a reliable connection between switching. It's why they aren't on the hardware compatibility list. It could be that the switch doesn't like one of your peripherals or it could be the switch itself. You could troubleshoot this by using other peripherals first and then using another brand of switch.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:54 AM - 02/28/17 »
There may be nothing wrong with your XIM4. Some switches can have this behavior, they don't always provide a reliable connection between switching. It's why they aren't on the hardware compatibility list. It could be that the switch doesn't like one of your peripherals or it could be the switch itself. You could troubleshoot this by using other peripherals first and then using another brand of switch.

The reason why I think it has something to do with my Xim is because I can't hot swap with it.  I have to do a full hard reboot.  This was the case even before the switch was introduced.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:28 AM - 02/28/17 »
Yes, there is sometimes a USB bug that the console have that requires a hard reset to fix.

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:04 PM - 02/28/17 »
Yes, there is sometimes a USB bug that the console have that requires a hard reset to fix.

This is really annoying.  Maybe I'll try a power cord for the USB switch.

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:33 PM - 03/22/17 »
I tried a power cable and it's the same issue.  Pretty sure my Xim is faulty... Is there a warranty on these?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:19 PM - 03/22/17 »
There is a warranty but we will need to determine if its an issue with XIM4 or a setup issue. You're currently not using XIM4 in a way that is recommended. Usually this issue is caused by an attached device or a cable.

It's important to note that going forward you will have to remove the usb switch to ensure this occurs without the switch. Removing variables from your setup will make this easier to resolve. The next time you are able to play please remove the switch and note whether you see flashing lights from XIM4 and how many there are.

XIM4 will flash the problem port number in three sets of yellow. For example.

Port 1: 1 flash x 3 sets
Port 2: 2 flash x 3 sets
Port 3: 3 flash x 3 sets

It may not flash at all in some cases. If it does please note the number of flashes per set.

-

With the switch removed, are you using other devices in your setup like an extended cable or a hub?

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:55 PM - 03/22/17 »
There is a warranty but we will need to determine if its an issue with XIM4 or a setup issue. You're currently not using XIM4 in a way that is recommended. Usually this issue is caused by an attached device or a cable.

It's important to note that going forward you will have to remove the usb switch to ensure this occurs without the switch. Removing variables from your setup will make this easier to resolve. The next time you are able to play please remove the switch and note whether you see flashing lights from XIM4 and how many there are.

XIM4 will flash the problem port number in three sets of yellow. For example.

Port 1: 1 flash x 3 sets
Port 2: 2 flash x 3 sets
Port 3: 3 flash x 3 sets

It may not flash at all in some cases. If it does please note the number of flashes per set.

-

With the switch removed, are you using other devices in your setup like an extended cable or a hub?

The fact that I can't hot swap even with the switch not in play proves to me there is something wrong.  It's always been this way. 

I didn't see any flashing lights.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: [ACTIVE] Xim4 losing connection to Xbox One
« Reply #8 on: 06:00 PM - 03/22/17 »
USB Switches are not a supported device. That behavior can occur with some switches. You could try another brand of switch and you may have different results.

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:00 PM - 03/22/17 »
I understand. I'm saying it happens even without the switch.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:06 PM - 03/22/17 »
The fact that I can't hot swap even with the switch not in play proves to me there is something wrong.

Sorry, a misunderstanding, I see the 'not in play' now.

You should be able to hotswap if 'disable usb hotswapping' is not checked. Note that you cannot hotswap the controller.

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:08 PM - 03/22/17 »
The fact that I can't hot swap even with the switch not in play proves to me there is something wrong.

Sorry, a misunderstanding, I see the 'not in play' now.

You should be able to hotswap if 'disable usb hotswapping' is not checked. Note that you cannot hotswap the controller.
Right, that was my initial concern. I don't understand why that feature doesn't work for me. I can assure you that box is not checked.

My guess is the issues are related.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:28 PM - 03/22/17 »
It's not hotswapping both the mouse and keyboard without using the switch? Or is it device specific, for example hotswapping works with the mouse but not the keyboard?

If that feature isn't working then I would try to factory reset your XIM4, use this specific firmware when performing the reset.

http://xim4.com/latest

Offline Jonezed7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06:45 PM - 03/22/17 »
Neither work. They both lose connection. I guess I'll try a reset next.

Admin