XIM Community

New analog keyboard might make me switch from the Nav chuck  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Morgs91

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Morgs91
Re: New analog keyboard might make me switch from the Nav chuck
« Reply #15 on: 04:59 PM - 06/20/16 »
http://www.gamingrebellion.com/2016/06/woot-for-the-wooting-one-keyboard/?utm_content=buffer7b1ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Recent article about this product and how it works. I also tweeted them asking if thrushes considered a game pad with an analog joystick which they replied nothing concrete but it was brig discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12:03 PM - 06/21/16 »
thats a pretty interesting keyboard, the following sounds a bit worrying though as it might require a custom driver to work
would love to use such a keyboard with xim but it doesnt look like that keyboard will be out anytime soon right?

They use a special type of switch that reads input based on optics instead of pressure. Essentially that means that the keyboard/computer is reading how far youíve pressed the button at literally the speed of light. Having tried the keyboard out personally, I can say there is no lag. In fact, one of the big issues that I was experiencing while using their prototype was that the computer couldnít keep up with the keyboardís input speed so it kept locking up until the on-site engineer altered the code to slow the keyboard down slightly so the computer could handle it.
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Morgs91

• View Profile
New analog keyboard might make me switch from the Nav chuck
« Reply #17 on: 02:47 PM - 06/21/16 »
The Kickstarter program is over in 24 hours with a November first release.

Dubbo how it all works but wouldn't you set the wasd keys as a joystick with the keys being fully depressed at max tilt of stick. Either way you cut it it's a pretty cool piece of innovation!

I also asked them if it would be compatible with xim, they said dunno.... Maybe you could score a freebie for "testing"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #18 on: 07:47 PM - 06/21/16 »
Here's how it works - http://blog.wooting.nl/this-is-how-wooting-analog-keyboard-magic-works/

It looks like the kb is detected as a keyboard, gamepad and Xinput device. It doesn't require drivers to work on PC, but they recommend installing the Wooting software to set actuation points for the keys. PC games need to support Xinput and not switch off m/kb in the process, or the kb won't work in analog mode. However, it might work with a Xim without too much hassle because of OBsIV's voodoo magic and it could open up a new market on PC for Xim4 due to analog keyboard support.

The project does come with a caveat - the Flaretech switches use light to detect the depth of a key press. The switch creators assumed a full analog kb would be too expensive to bring to market (the Wooting is fully analog for gaming mode, with a digital toggle for typing mode), so they essentially blocked the light for the first 2mm of movement to convert the switch into digital input. The last 2mm does work for analog input, but a second generation of switches will be required to get the full 4mm of analog travel. More info here - http://blog.wooting.nl/flaretech-the-optical-keyboard-switch/

Regardless of whether this particular keyboard ends up working with the Xim or not, it's a promising development for mech keyboards and I'd expect more manufacturers to head down the analog path.
« Last Edit: 08:14 PM - 06/21/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08:06 PM - 06/21/16 »
man a full analog travel keyboard (even if just on WASD) would be so great
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #20 on: 08:12 PM - 06/21/16 »

Each key can be configured individually. So WASD and triggers could be set to Xinput, while the rest are digital.

Seriously considering backing the Kickstarter :hmm:

Offline Morgs91

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01:42 AM - 06/22/16 »
I am as well!n but might just wait until confirmation it is compatible. Bit of an expensive purchase if it doesnt work.

There twitter team is superb with there communication, any questions just direct it to them.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08:57 AM - 06/22/16 »
well even if it doesnt work directly attached to the xim theres always xim sandhawc with which the keyboard will work 100% for sure

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01:42 PM - 06/22/16 »
Even with Sandhawc the XIM would still have to know how to interpret analog values being sent to it, no?  Given that the XIM is most likely looking for on or off when it comes to KB input, I would imagine this would still be a problem.  Or would the KB be acting as a joystick instead?
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline Morgs91

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08:50 AM - 06/23/16 »

Each key can be configured individually. So WASD and triggers could be set to Xinput, while the rest are digital.

Seriously considering backing the Kickstarter :hmm:

did you end up backing it?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #25 on: 10:49 AM - 06/23/16 »
Even with Sandhawc the XIM would still have to know how to interpret analog values being sent to it, no?  Given that the XIM is most likely looking for on or off when it comes to KB input, I would imagine this would still be a problem.  Or would the KB be acting as a joystick instead?

The Xim can interpret X & Y axis input from analog sticks, it should be able to detect the same thing on an analog keyboard. WASD is essentially the left or right stick when set to Xinput mode, so it may simply detect as such. I don't know for sure, but given it's a driverless solution, it sounds possible.

Both a Nav and a kb can be plugged in at the same time, alongside the controller, and all will work concurrently. There's no reason to believe it's not possible for a kb with a mix of analog and digital inputs wouldn't work.

did you end up backing it?

No, they've already met the funding goal and I'd prefer to wait for the 2nd generation with full-range switches.

Offline havoxxx

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01:37 PM - 01/12/17 »
Reviving a old topic, you are able to pre-order this product now..

https://wooting.nl/

When i get my tax return in 2 weeks, i will be buying this for sure. well preordering this.  Looks promising from what i see;

"Programmable & Feature proof
With the config software, you can adjust all the Wooting one settings. Itís saved on the onboard memory, so you can plug and game anywhere without extra software.

You can update its firmware through USB for exciting new features we keep making. Youíll never need to buy a new one. Thatís what we call future feature proof."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_6Qhb0_Q_I

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11:15 PM - 01/12/17 »
please write a short feedback once you ve tested it, im actually quite interested in the keyboard :)