XIM Community

Xim2 piggy back to controller  (Read 6622 times)

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
Re: Xim2 piggy back to controller
« Reply #15 on: 10:43 PM - 06/07/08 »
wait , 23 wires to attach??       Its really that many??

Yes, as derektm said on a different thread, the mod is not at all difficult for people with solid soldering skills. We did learn, with XIM1, that even 6 wires was beyond the ability of most of the community. That's why we are focusing on pre-made mods (and expect most people to go this route).

It's really not too difficult, but I am sure it's going to take ALOT longer than the XIM 1 did. Really thin wire, but that's no biggie. if it's below 40's AWG it's not too bad after that its kinda hard as your dealing with sometimes a single strand of wire with thread and casing. I look forward to it for sure though in any case.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09:52 AM - 06/09/08 »
Has anyone even opened a controller yet to see how small the solder points are? I don't even know what kind of iron/tip this task is going to require. Anyone have an idea?
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline SUPRARACER

• View Profile

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11:26 AM - 06/09/08 »
I read the thread, and theres a link to another thread with some great solding repair tips. But the thread did not mention the reccomended watt for soldering, and size tip. All I know is the tip I have is way to big to be working on that circuit board

Edit: Nevermind If I will be soldering to the tp points then I'll be fine. I thought that I would have to solder to the small holes on the board, they dont even have copper exposed.
« Last Edit: 12:16 PM - 06/09/08 by mist4fun »

Offline derektm

• View Profile
    • Derektm.com
« Reply #19 on: 06:33 PM - 06/10/08 »
Don't buy anything below 25watt. Stick with a larger tip. All the talk about smaller tips is bogus. With a smaller tip you can't hold hardly and solder on the end of your iron and it just doesn't work as good.

I use a Weller iron mostly but my tip is similarly sized to the one the Radioshack 25 watt iron uses (you can get this locally).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049775&cp=&sr=1&origkw=soldering+iron+tip&kw=soldering+iron+tip&parentPage=search

Stay away from Radioshacks 15 watt Iron. Bigger is better  ;D

-Derek

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09:17 PM - 06/10/08 »
Great, I have the 25 watt radioshack iron and tip. This iron didn't work out when I tried modding my wii, the solder points are so tiny the tip was to big.

Offline blakbuzzrd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10:47 AM - 07/22/08 »
You know, I used to have that 25-watt Radioshack iron, and I couldn't stand the tip. It's not refined to an actual point at the end, and so there's sometimes a clearance issue with really small solder points (e.g. Gameboy advance LEDs).

I got a 40-watt adjustable Weller soldering station a couple years ago, bought the fine point tip for it, and never looked back.
"What Oft Was Squawked But Ne'er So Well Expressed"

Offline ipn0tic

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ipn0tico
« Reply #22 on: 10:35 AM - 07/23/08 »
Hi

I guess practice makes perfection. I read all posts on this topic and noticed the comment
"My hands shake like flags in the wind it would be impossible for me and I would imagine that even experienced builders would end up killing quite a few controllers."
As far as I can say thats not true, my hands shake like hell too and I can make perfect soldering points. Try to practice with some old electronic equipment when you feel comfortable with it, do it with no rush, remember not to put 2 many heat on the point and thats it. I have about 3 different soldering Irons, with around 30W power that it will be quite good for this job. Like Derek was talking, using one Iron with more power (between 25 and 35W) it is the best since you can make the soldering faster. Faster soldering gives less damage to the points of soldering. When mine gets here I will take some photos or video of all operation if allowed by the admins.

Best regards
J.O.

Offline 1nfinitum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11:42 AM - 07/23/08 »
I don't agree with the bigger is better for tips.  I have a pencil tip and it works great for me.  Much more space for the wire to say fit the tip of the wire into the hole when soldering, other tips are too big for that.  Also less surface area = less heat lost so in theory soldering irons with small tips should be more effective.  Also allows for more freedom when holding the iron at an angle.

Offline indy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08:43 AM - 07/24/08 »
Some members mentioned how small the solder points on the controller arem this is no problem fellas, look at the xim2 in the pic where it is scaled besided a quarter, pull out a 0.25$ and look at the picture then look at your quarter, the xim2 board is small just be aware.
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0