Buffer Bloat  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
Buffer Bloat
« on: 04:02 PM - 12/16/16 »
Test it through your PlayStation or Xbox browser:

www.dslreports.com/

It's generally better than speed test I think.

If your buffer bloat is too high it might contribute to a crappy feeling online environment. If it is I can give some tips.

"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Buffer Bloat
« Reply #1 on: 09:57 PM - 12/16/16 »
oh boy if this gets the same attention as in the netduma forum you can expect 1000 replies to this topic with different settings that claim to give the best results ;)

but yeah its a pretty important thing that most speedtest or pingtest dont consider at all
(new duma os should perfectly solve this)
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline G502DoBeHeavy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:21 PM - 12/16/16 »
Easiest and quickest way to reduce buffer bloat is to set a limit to your download and upload bandwidth. Set it to just below what you normally get. Most decent routers have QoS settings that will do this.

Odd thing for me it that when I do that, and have good buffer bloat scores I feel like I get joked way more in CoD. Idk, interesting.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:27 PM - 12/16/16 »
Easiest and quickest way to reduce buffer bloat is to set a limit to your download and upload bandwidth. Set it to just below what you normally get. Most decent routers have QoS settings that will do this.

Odd thing for me it that when I do that, and have good buffer bloat scores I feel like I get joked way more in CoD. Idk, interesting.

probably because your ping and ping jitter is too good compared to the other players in the lobby from all over the world giving you quite some lag compensation
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline TheCityWok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:09 AM - 12/17/16 »
Isn't this only a problem when your internet is under heavy usage? Can't see how this helps gaming wise unless multiple people are using the internet while you game. There's only one cure. Increasing the update rate. Shame that devs are greedy a holes. Nothing should have less then 30hz in this day and age.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:47 AM - 12/17/16 »
Tick rate was never very high in games until recently and it hasn't been mentioned as a problem until lag comp became a problem. The thing is a low tick rate is low for everybody, so no one has an inherent advantage. Lag comp on the other hand treats everyone differently because everyone has a different quality connection to host. Poor lag comp gives people with crappier connections an advantage. Tick rate on the other hand just effects how smooth the game itself feels.

I don't know how the netcode is now in Hardline but you could have tested this in that game. There was a patch where they blasted the lag smoothing way up and when people started complaining about lag comp they introduced 60 hz servers. The end result was that the game felt better overall but you still got bull @#$% instakilled around corners.

Yeah, reducing buffer bloat isn't a fix for bad lag comp. It's more a fix for bad lag. It will just make the game feel more consistent.

I was using a crappy old netgear router with dd-wrt installed as a bridge and to mess with my connection. The reason is because the router fios now uses gives you practically zero QOS settings. A week ago I found out that at default settings this netgear router introduces a lot of buffer bloat, and it wasn't just that it could't handle the bandwidth of my connection. Having dealt with it what I found was that games that didn't give me problems actually played even better.

I would say at this point that's most games. Even black ops 3 and Infinite Warfare, which a few occasional odd deaths aside play well. However, MWR is another story.

With my bloated router MWR felt, well... kind of bloated. Engagements would last longer than I remembered in the original. The MP5 would be practically useless because it would take forever to down someone, even though in the original I remember it chewing through opponents. When I got rid off buffer bloat the feel of the game changed completely. It felt closer to the original, engagements lasted a lot shorter like the damage model changed. The problem is that those bull @#$% moments got way worse and more frequent.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline PUBzZz

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:24 AM - 12/17/16 »
Helllllloooooooo Sim here.....

I felt the need to say that if we talking about Buffer Bloat lol

PS4 / Xbox One
Xim Apex / Xim 4
Cooler Master MM710 16k @1000hz
Zowie G-TF SPAWN PAD
Netduma to OpenWRT "Cake/PieceOfCake"
BenQ XL2420T
Astro A40 + Mixamp

Offline Gurnaldo

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:01 AM - 12/17/16 »
Does anyone know how games tag packets in regards to QoS for QoS to even make a difference?

Unless u av prehistoric net or lots of different users/apps running at the same time bandwidth isnt usually an issue.

I do find it funny that the more advanced gaming gets the worse the gaming connection appears to be.  Just doesn't add up to me and is kind of why i have started playing less.

Ping/Jitter to host really should be the main factor but we all know other factors play a part now.

Admin