XIM Community

Should I Send Someone to Jail?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
Should I Send Someone to Jail?
« on: 11:52 AM - 04/22/10 »
So i was driving my GF home (yes, i am one of the few people on this forum with a significant other that is female)after going out to eat and a movie. I notice that a car is stopped at a light, with a highschool  boy, from a separate car, waving a flashlight to direct traffic away from the stopped car.  The stopped car was a mexican highschool student who was passed out, with his foot on the brake (it was not in park...), and face on the wheel.  
So i pulled my car up behind the passed out car (as he was in the middle lane and the kid with the flashlight was an idiot).  SO remember, this is all occurring at a stoplight.  
The kid apparently wakes up.  He starts to drive through a red light, where 2 cars, who have the green light, are slamming on their breaks and swerving out of the way.  
He nearly hits a brick wall before he jerks the car at a 45 degree angle, literally going in between 2 HUGE trees (something i doubt most people could do sober going that speed) and then missing a metal pole and a side of a bridge (where actual scratches were found from his car) and went down a 15 foot trench where he hit trees.  And between his 45 degree turn, he nearly hit 2 more cars as he went across a median and the wrong way down their street.

I arrive and find that a bunch of people are already there calling the police ( i guess the people who almost got hit stopped to help).  Yet no one was helping him.... I know this because i asked d,did anyone get the driver?, and 5 people gave me a blank stare. I hate the bystanderd effect.
So i told my girl to stay in the car and call the police (i didnt want her to get in the way/say things like be careful when im doing this..).  The incline down to the car was at a 65 degree angle, 15 feet down, all paved cement, with no footing at all.  i slid down went through the 1 foot deep creak and opened his door.  the car was smoking,the engine was on, there was a lot of @#$% going on.  This wasnt my first accident i had to help in,do all the work too, and smelt gas with the engine on and thought this was the part of the movie where i blow up.  the guy was conscious, so i turned off the car, and i dragged him out (after i asked him to move and he could use his back/neck properly).  I took him up the 15 foot incline, by myself, by his hands...while everyone just watched (@#$%, i hate bystanders). i cut a 3 inch wide hole in my leg from a piece of metal on the incline that i had no idea existed...
and to give you an idea of how steep it was, when the firefighters came, they used a harness and rope to go down there...

anyways, the guy was obviously @#$% up.  he was not just drinking or smokin a lil somethin somethin. clearly is was prescription pills of some kind with alcohol. and this random mexican came in a decked out car, took a bunch of things from the kid (obviously drugs) and left.  the cops did not arrive by this time, and the firefighters cared less for some reason.  the kid even went BACK DOWN to throw away some drugs from the car, and say he was smoking a cigarette.  and the kid with the flashlight disappeared, but that was no surprise.  So i gave my statement, to some rent-a-cops that were at the scene, and gave them my address.  

I received a letter telling me
NO ONE who was there, about 8 people, who said they would testify, are going to anymore. The letter says im the only one left.  and after telling you the majority of the whole story, should i?
I remember being a stupid kid, not like that, but still, and seeing my friends who got DUIs that ended up ruining there lives because of it.  obviously i will do what needs to be done, but in this case idk what that means. (they wont give me his real name until i agree, so i cant ask/talk to him to see the kind of person he is)
and so do i send him to JAIL for over 5 years they say, or let it slide, where he could do it again or worse...?
« Last Edit: 11:59 AM - 04/22/10 by bdm214 »

Offline ideez

• uzi does it!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Send Someone to Jail?
« Reply #1 on: 02:48 PM - 04/22/10 »
I'll admit it's a bit strange you posted this story on forums.....on the internet...on xim360 forums...lol

the way i look at it, he's made a mistake, and he did what he did, he put other's people lives in danger from the choice that he himself made.

It's good that you helped him it's very commendable, everyone should be more like that.  That's a tough decision because like you said, you have to consider is he going to do it again or have a high chance? Is he just being at the wrong place at the wrong time?

I will say though you shouldn't feel guilty doing either decision just because there's nothing you can really do.
Windows 7 64bit| Samsung 2333 monitor | Logitech G15 keyboard | MX518 | GT--> gsyxx

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:38 PM - 04/22/10 »
ya i know it is weird i posted on the forums lol.
but i figured this was a place for discussion, with people who quickly respond, and im on here a alot anyways... haha
allegedly, my friends say hes cousins with some big time drug dealer. why else would this guy show up, in the kind of car he did, where obviously they are lower income, and take such quick action without being shocked in anyway. and thats why no one will testify. of course ALL of that is speculation, and something out of a movie. ive never been the kind of person to backdown to intimidation, if anything i give the finger and do the opposite of what they say, so i refuse to let THAT be a reason.  
he deserves it if i do, and idk if he would change if i dont (or even do...)
never had a decision where someone's life is in my hands and all i need to do is push a button...

Offline combo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:46 PM - 04/22/10 »
Just do what feels right to you, deep down.

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:56 PM - 04/22/10 »
you cant feel something after you are thinking about it.  its impossible lol.  once you "leave the moment" and think, then its done.  i dont feel anything other than the weight of my pending choice.  but thank you for the alruistic support.  i dont mean to bash, and im sorry if you thought i was, as the reason i posted on this forum was for the plethora of different points of views and walks of life.  thanks again for the post.

Offline ideez

• uzi does it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:52 PM - 04/22/10 »
to clarify my earlier statement, pretty much imho as much as a situation it is i don't see how you can make a "serious" decision.  Sounds like if the kid went to jail he deserved it, and if not he WILL get what's coming to him, especially that lifestyle and setting he's in (whether you believe karma or not)

It's like choosing between a red and yellow bell pepper when you're born colorblind.

Windows 7 64bit| Samsung 2333 monitor | Logitech G15 keyboard | MX518 | GT--> gsyxx

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04:57 PM - 04/22/10 »
sounds like it's not just this guy but also alot of people whom he's associated with.  I say put him in jail.  It may give him a chance to break some of his thuggish habits.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
« Reply #7 on: 05:33 PM - 04/22/10 »
I'm a little torn. Personally I think the drug war is stupid (and I don't use drugs...) but many of the participants are criminals aside from the drugs.
I'd wager this kid probably is too. Who knows, like uber said, this might straighten his @#$% out. Of course if he goes to prison instead of county lockup he may just end up deeper.

you just don't know man...

also, what's the charge? is it "just" DUI at this point? if so, they don't need you to testify to @#$%, the state will shithammer him on their own.
if it involves other charges, I think it depends on what you KNOW vs what you THINK. you KNOW he was under the influence, you KNOW he caused some public property damage (did he cause damage to private property at all?) and you THINK he may have had drugs on him or in his vehicle (you can't know that unless you saw the drugs). if the charges do not jibe with what you KNOW, then I wouldn't testify.
particularly if it meant getting f'ed with by some bangers over something that is relatively trivial. on the other hand, if he did injure someone then you hammer him gang affiliation or not. did he? your account seems to indicate not.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:40 PM - 04/22/10 »
I say mind your own business. You did your part by pulling him out. He definitely had blood taken after the accident and was tested for drugs and alcohol. If he continues to live his life this way he won't survive next time or will be in jail some other way. There is no point in endangering yourself in something that is just going to run its course anyway.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:38 PM - 04/22/10 »
I agree with what you guys are saying. And I can't swear past the fact that they were pills. He would get it in the end from karma and lifestyle choices too. And it isn't something I think is worth getting headshotted in real life over wither. I just hate being passive or having a victim ( I can't do anything about it) mentality either. In this case though I suppose the right choice is to forget about it. @#$% that's annoying lol. Thanks guys

Offline Shrimpanzee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Shrimpanzee
« Reply #10 on: 08:13 PM - 04/22/10 »
If NOT testifying could potentially put other people's lives in danger (again), which it sounds like it might... then I'd do it.

Also, I'm flattered that you'd come to us nooblets for advice on "real life" @#$%.  ;D

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:46 PM - 04/22/10 »
it is real life but it is also not.  i mean im disassociated from the act anyways the second i proceed in trying to be as logical as possible.  but i know what you mean, and like i said, thats exactly why i am asking you guys.  maybe there is something im missing.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
« Reply #12 on: 11:15 PM - 04/22/10 »
I think tis stellar you're rollin up in here thinking you may get good advice.
clearly you think the folks that chill here are groovy man.

like I said though, if what you know is equal to or less than a dui, fudge it.
although, I do have to say, I got hammered on a DUI in CO for not actually driving. people that drive and @#$% @#$% up, I have no sympathy for man.

Offline CEOrko

• MVP
  • Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:38 PM - 04/22/10 »
Given the circumstances of the event you have given, incarceration seems the more secure (and possibly less-costly) solution over letting the issue go. Should the incident repeat itself, there is a good chance its costs will outweigh a single person's tax-funded stay in a penitentiary, however ineffective it may be at curbing such behavior. It's a shame you can't just give some people their lumps, walk them through a rehabilitation course, and never have to hear about bad things coming from them again, but we don't seem able to accept the "complicated animal" definition as a species. Maybe that's a good thing, but I'm not going to throw out answers that don't exist at this point in time.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11:47 PM - 04/22/10 »
Does it not concern you at all that the 8 people aren't going to testify anymore?  I mean, what's their reason behind not testifying?  Especially if this is something that involved drugs and money...