XIM Community

Should I Send Someone to Jail?  (Read 4460 times)

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Send Someone to Jail?
« Reply #15 on: 12:03 AM - 04/23/10 »
I think tis stellar you're rollin up in here thinking you may get good advice.
clearly you think the folks that chill here are groovy man.
i definitely do.  i mean we are a community here, and people joke about it, but i really think a lot of people would buy a beer for at least someone on the forum (first being obsiv id say haha). but we are not all from the same town, state, country, or even continent.  its strange to post it here but it is also natural to me.  especially since, in any discussion, a personal levity/signature is on even the most cold logical explanation or remark. which makes everything personal but not really at the same time. the diversity of the community is astonishing and makes it a great forum to post anything on, which wouldnt be true, if the interconnectivity that does exist, was not here.  hell even people who join today acknowledge this observation and try to instantly be apart of the community and become antiquated with. newbies always rant and rave about how they love this forum and the people. we respect the person but not their stupid comment, bad way of stating something, or really anything that could be wrong lol. in other words, you dont have people just cursing and bashing one another. you dont have many forums, that i know of, that people see the same user enough to be able to banter back and forth over  past posts or whatever and develop an image of that person (whether the image is accurate or not...)
it may be the shrink in me explaining it the way i did, but really the forum is just as badass as the xim imo lol. well maybe a little less  ;D

example, like 10 min after i posted this rofl
roads I'm really not trying to insult you or stop you from asking questions. what I'm saying is if your are going to ask questions on a community forum, to get the best responses it may help to put a little more thought into what ur asking and make more use of the information already given to u.
« Last Edit: 12:27 AM - 04/23/10 by bdm214 »

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12:18 AM - 04/23/10 »
Does it not concern you at all that the 8 people aren't going to testify anymore?  I mean, what's their reason behind not testifying?  Especially if this is something that involved drugs and money...
it did make me think twice, of course.  but i refuse to make that the reason for me to do it or not to do it.  ive seen enough people in my life who live afraid, who only react (if you can call cowering a reaction), and dont act (or even have the will to act) during the most important times of their life. im tired of watching people become passive, as if free will is a myth and people are just determined by their environment (determinism/fatalism), and that is just the way life works.  i know that sounds naive, but i would rather live a life where i can believe in something and not just back down because its just to @#$% hard right then.  im not acting this way because i have ideals i need to live up to. im acting this way because this is who i am and those ideals are merely an extension of that.  i will always fight to be a person, not another bystanderd.  

if it sounds like i sidestepped your comment that is not my intention.  i just dont focus past that reality when the scary thug is suppose to deter me from what i believe to do is right or wrong.

i guess ill just ask them about the info of the case, what kind of case they have, what my role would be, and see if it would go through to a sure conviction and decide from there....
« Last Edit: 12:28 AM - 04/23/10 by bdm214 »

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
« Reply #17 on: 11:06 AM - 04/23/10 »
@#$% A.

my thing is, is it worth the hassle over something trivial?
and if it's not trivial, then you have to man up. period.

you are being asked to testify, which make me think it's beyond a DUI....

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11:15 AM - 04/23/10 »
I called and they said i would be contacted within the day...
so we shall see mr steve!

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12:22 PM - 04/23/10 »
Interestingly we were told at med school that we are not allowed to rescue someone if there is some danger possible. Itís not our job the firemen have to do that. So its not us pulling the guy out of the burning car, burning house out of the water etc. If there is no danger for yourself of course go help. Same for testifying, if its dangerous, don't. I was at the wrong place, wrong time three times now. Just put my stuff in the trunk. Help please help. No... not again. I ABC reanimate and when the guys with proper equipment arrive and take over I give them heads up and I leave. Not giving my name. I helped thatís it. By the way there are always those 10 peeps standing around doing nothing. Last time I chaced away a dentist who could not reanimate with me together and a mom with his ten year old stood there watching me getting the guy back. The kid asked the mommy about what exactly is happening like it was tele. Donīt want to repeat what I told the mother.
Oh and before I forget you have to do cardiac massage at 100bpm. Thatís exactly highway to Hell. Just keep it quiet :)
Crusade atm: none

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12:37 PM - 04/23/10 »
That issue depends entirely upon where you live.
Most US states have "Good Samaritan" lawls, most also have "Duty to Rescue" laws.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01:09 PM - 04/23/10 »
Remember the last episode of Seinfeld when they were arrested for videotaping a crime and not helping? Good stuff.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03:17 PM - 04/23/10 »
Remember the last episode of Seinfeld when they were arrested for videotaping a crime and not helping? Good stuff.
SuCh a funny episode. 

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01:28 AM - 04/25/10 »
so i talked to the prosecuter yesterday.  he has to nearly be my age (21).  i listened, and heard phrases that made me laugh in my head.  he talks to me like im a moron (obvious that he just graduated) and has no REAL case other than a dui (where he doesnt need me).  he wants to just get a high level conviction that makes him instantly look good, or use me as a threat to get a higher sentence when pleading out.
my father is a civil attorney, so i know enough BS phrases that sound good but dont mean @#$% (lawyers...rofl).  so i told him my 2 sense about how its barely circumstantial and i will get murdered  when i go on the stand, during cross examination (pun!).  his instant reply is "its not like on TV".  ive been in at least 12 hours of REAL court cases.  i work at my fathers firm and do near paralegal work all the time. i KNOW what happens on the stand, even if you lie...haha.  o well.
 i didnt rant off into any of that i just told him, "that may be, but if you cant convince me then i dont know how you will convince a jury beyond a dui". he told me thats fine, i regret you can not help in the case blablabla.  then that was it.  
they will probably plead out too and the guy will get a fine/community service/no drivers license. justice is served!...
« Last Edit: 01:32 AM - 04/25/10 by bdm214 »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02:29 AM - 04/25/10 »
would have done the same bdm.
Crusade atm: none

Offline TheycallmeDee

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03:20 AM - 04/25/10 »
BDM. I have a girlfriend. Why take a shot at everyone like that in your first few sentences?
"It feels like my hand is connected directly to the screen."

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11:24 AM - 04/25/10 »
Yeah most of this community is over the age of twenty with a wife/gf/kids.

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=3450.msg35152#msg35152

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11:57 PM - 04/25/10 »
ok...
i really didnt believe people would be so offended.  we are nerds.  it doesnt matter if you are the captain of the football team (as i was), or the manliest man in the world.  we own an XIM and play games.  we are nerds.  from most of the nerd community i find that its just a joke to say "YOU have a gf?".  it is a direct joke, either about the person, or really about the stereotype that comes from playing games (being a "nerd").  saying you have a gf is a joke about the stereotype more than the person...
that makes it harmless, unless people are insecure about something and find it offensive for their own reasons.
i thought if someone posted about the reference, itd be an LOL, not a, @#$%.  i figured most people were seasoned enough to laugh about a harmless joke that has grown over the years.
i find it strange though, at this point in the thread, that this "offensive" comment is what you find noteworthy.  I am talking about REAL stuff and like to find something to smile about on any occasion, especially when its hard to. i am also astonished that you think i ACTUALLY believe that, not even from the fact i said "lol" but as if it were a hatespeach i was writing about the forum/members that i clearly appreciate and respect (obvious in how much activity i have on here...).  
I do NOT apologize.  
what is it you found so offensive about the statement? how do you feel attacked or offended, specifically? so then why do you feel like you should defend yourself to the most minute insignificant part of the post, to someone who in no way knows you, who (in your perspective of finding it offensive) is just some jackass on the internet, where it SHOULD make no difference in any way to you?

So lets just assume, that it was just something more that you dont like and nothing special.  so you had to tell me that and insist on your current relationship status. which shows me: 1. you did not understand the joke,  2. you feel challenged by the statement so you must banter back (which trust me, has its own merit to ask yourself WHY you would), and 3.you obviously either didnt read or failed to realize, from the rest of the 1-2 pages of description, i have an immense respect for any individual and their life. even if they nearly killed people...
so what are YOU really talking about?
and thanks for the backup mist, i thought we were cool  :'( lol, and i posted on their a while ago my age i believe.  
« Last Edit: 12:06 AM - 04/26/10 by bdm214 »

Offline Moo Juice

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: MooJuicerr
« Reply #28 on: 01:06 AM - 04/26/10 »
Hmmm..I think I understand what you REALLY meant by that opening line. Let me highlight the clue  ;) "(yes i am one of the few people on this forum that has a significant other that is female"
SO IT COMES OUT! You called us all homosexuals. How DARE YOU!  ;D Just kiddin', there isn't anything wrong with being happy. Haha, I wouldn't have even noticed that last part if that one guy hadn't gotten upset about you putting that in there. I have to admit, I thought it was odd that you had to put it in there, I didn't see the joke you say is in there at first. It was like "Uhhh..Was it necessary to add in a statement that implies you are better than the others here and pretty much throw it in their faces?" =] I haven't been here that long, so I don't know your history with everyone, but normally that's just kind of a braggish/boasting comment that just came off as stupid and not needed to be mentioned.

I wasn't personally insulted, but I was a little annoyed by the perceived feeling of superiority that emanated from the statement.
The Dude does Not abide.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09:23 AM - 04/26/10 »
I wasn't offended.. I don't think anyone would be able to take offense to that. I don't remember if you posted in that thread and I linked it because I also thought most of everyone were teenagers. If the link wasn't beneficial to you than it is a random fun facts thread for someone else. All the new users we have for example. We are cool.

Admin