XIM Community

Off topic but curious if anyone has a solution for PS4 Slim and Optical Headset  (Read 1388 times)

Offline bagobones

• View Profile
Anyone found away around the lack of an optical input for the PS4 Slim?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
You could use a HDMI to TOSlink audio extractor.

I use one of these between a Yamaha receiver and the TV in a multi-console setup -
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

It should work fine with a PS4 Slim.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline bagobones

• View Profile

I use one of these between a Yamaha receiver and the TV in a multi-console setup -
https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072

Thanks but clueless on this subject, how is that setup? I have a Benq monitor with PS4 Slim console of course using xim4 but old headset doesn't even work straight into the controller while using the xim4 and new headset / amp that was connected via optical to xbox1 won't since there is no optical. Not sure what that audio extractor would do or what other connection cords I would even need to make that work.

Half way tempted to just cancel preorder for ps4 and take back the ps4 slim and order xb1 game Friday's release. Didn't know the setup was going to be an issue with my current equipment.

Offline bagobones

• View Profile

So I ordered that audio extractor with a RCA to female 3.5mm, wasn't sure if I needed it. Borrowed some cheap USB headset until it gets shipped but if I am connecting this to an amp is this is how it is setup.

For Monitor / Video
PS4 HDMI -> Audio Extractor -> Monitor HDMI

For Audio (for older 3.5mm head phones)
PS4 HDMI -> Audio Extractor -> RCA -> Female 3.5mm -> Headphone 3.5mm Male...

or (for amp newer higher end set)....

PS4 HDMI -> Audio Extractor -> Optical Out -> Amp Optical In

Just guessing on how this setup would go since this is all beyond me. LOL

Appreciate your input on this. Hopefully I can figure this out once the stuff arrives.

Just another question, if I my setup on this is correct, where HDMI has to flow through the audio extractor, have you noticed any input lag issue with this at all. I can't imagine it would be significant but still curious.

Offline justtrying

• View Profile
You are correct with setup instructions

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
So I ordered that audio extractor with a RCA to female 3.5mm, wasn't sure if I needed it. Borrowed some cheap USB headset until it gets shipped but if I am connecting this to an amp is this is how it is setup.

For Monitor / Video
PS4 HDMI -> Audio Extractor -> Monitor HDMI

For Audio (for older 3.5mm head phones)
PS4 HDMI -> Audio Extractor -> RCA -> Female 3.5mm -> Headphone 3.5mm Male...

or (for amp newer higher end set)....

PS4 HDMI -> Audio Extractor -> Optical Out -> Amp Optical In

Just guessing on how this setup would go since this is all beyond me. LOL

Nailed it.

There's no additional lag, the audio-extractor is a pass-through device.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts