XIM Community

Playstation Pro. Is it worth a buy?  (Read 7391 times)

Offline bf4noob56676

• View Profile
Re: Playstation Pro. Is it worth a buy?
« Reply #15 on: 08:12 AM - 11/05/16 »
Lol. 4k this 4k that. Are you really gonna let sony rob you in plain sight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline bf4noob56676

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10:12 AM - 11/05/16 »
To each his own I suppose. My take is that the improvement is not a generational leap. It's better to wait for Ps5.

Offline bf4noob56676

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10:14 AM - 11/05/16 »
Anyway we don't live forever. Atleast it is a brilliant excuse to finally get a 4k display

Offline combo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10:36 AM - 11/05/16 »
Some new comparison shots have been posted showing the difference at 1080 on titan fall 2 (they did mention that the game isn't actually 1080) and to be honest they looked impressive. If you can afford it I say why not, if you're just about to go to current gen then it's a no brainer.

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11:11 AM - 11/05/16 »
I sold one of my old ps4s for 240 like a month an a half ago, that means for 160 I get all the extra quality, even ar 1080p. Considering it comes with 2.4x stronger gpu and 30% faster cpu it is absolutely worth it. Heck even 450 would still be a relatively good price for the device.

For 1080p the visual difference will still be quite noticable and the pro will be able to get high-ultra graphics preset quality That you get on pcs. At least for bf1 I know that the pro will be able to get ultra preset quality, because the RX470 can do ultra @ 1080p60fps on pc and ps4 pro gpu is pretty much the TX470 just a little bit slower.

Considering the pro is here to stay for another 3-4 years, I think the investment is well worth it, even for 1080p monitors/tvs.

Plus by nature of the pro it will be able to maintain 30/60 fps alot more consistently compared to stock ps4.

Offline ShankyMcStabber

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06:57 PM - 11/05/16 »
I have my PS4 Pro on pre-order already, which will make it the 3rd PS4 I have hooked up the house.

Right now PS4 #1 (1TB drive) + PSVR is hooked to my Plasma TV in "console corner" (the dedicated console playing area of the house with WiiU, XBox360, XBox One, and the PS4 + PSVR).

PS4 #2 (Destiny Edition w/2TB drive) is hooked up at my computer desk with the PS3 and my XIM4.

I haven't decided whether I want the PS4 Pro hooked to the 4k TV in the living room upstairs or whether to hook it up in "console corner".  If I put it upstairs I can use the 4k features, but I wouldn't be able to use it on nights the wife is watching one of her shows nor could I use it with my PSVR.  If I put it downstairs I don't get to use the 4k features, but it will give a big boost to the PSVR setup.

Talk about #Firstworldproblems

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: NekkedBare
  • PSN ID: BRB_Krew
« Reply #21 on: 04:48 PM - 11/06/16 »
Lol. 4k this 4k that. Are you really gonna let sony rob you in plain sight.

How so? My Xbox One S has performance similar to the vanilla Xbox One and only upscales games to 4k from the the same resolution as vanilla Xbox One. The PS4 Pro has a theoretical 2.5x faster GPU and a CPU ocd to 2.1, and will upscale most games also, but the difference is that it will upscale from resolutions higher than the vanilla PS4's, and also uses checkboard rendering to provide a clearer picture.

Example:
Xbox One upscales "X" game from 720p to 4k
Xbox One S upscales"X" game from 720p to 4k
PS4 vanilla upscales "X" game from 800p to 4k
PS4 Pro upscales "X" game from 1440p to 4k

And ffs the Pro is $400, not $4000. It's not a big deal and far from being "robbed"
My Roccat Sova review:
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=49911.0

Wi-fi speeds

Offline Manjerico

• I am Jack's smirking revenge
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • PSN ID: Manj3r1c0
« Reply #22 on: 05:08 AM - 11/07/16 »
Some new comparison shots have been posted showing the difference at 1080 on titan fall 2 (they did mention that the game isn't actually 1080) and to be honest they looked impressive. If you can afford it I say why not, if you're just about to go to current gen then it's a no brainer.

I'm going to look for it, because that's exactly my goal. I'm playing on a 1080 monitor that I don'y have any intentions of trading right now, so I'm more interested in 1080p performance.

For 4K I'll wait for the PS5 and build a decent PC that I'm in dire need of...

Xbox One: Phew... Phew... Phew...
PS4:BAANG!!
Outcome: Xbox One is down! Call an ambulance!
"Wii U Wii U Wii U..."
XIM Edge;XIM4|Logitech G13;G502;MX518|Turtle Beach DSS2|AKG K702|Antlion Modmic 4.0|Bravo Audio V3|Asus VX279h|

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08:41 AM - 11/07/16 »
Digital Foundry has confirmed that there is zero improvement to standard PS4 games.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10:19 AM - 11/07/16 »
yep, unless an old game doesnt get a pro patch theres close to no improvement to be expected
but that was sort of expected as otherwise backwards compatibility isnt guaranteed

the more exciting thing though is how future playstation games will make use out of the graphic power :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10:54 AM - 11/07/16 »
Ps4 pro is simply 2 ps4 gpus slightly upclocked. They had to do this otherwise they wouldn't be able to have backwards compatibility without the devs having to rewrite code for those games. They simply shut off the 2nd gpu in order to play the old games, that's why there's no benefit there.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #26 on: 07:33 PM - 11/07/16 »
yep, unless an old game doesnt get a pro patch theres close to no improvement to be expected
but that was sort of expected as otherwise backwards compatibility isnt guaranteed

the more exciting thing though is how future playstation games will make use out of the graphic power :)

Improvements in older games may come from the SATA3 interface and an SSD. Assets will load faster (as will the PS4 UI), so there should be less pop-in, more stable framerates etc.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01:24 AM - 11/08/16 »
Having checked out a lot of the Digital Foundry and some other content in a desperate attempt to try to convince myself that I'm not flushing money down the toilet, well I'm still not convinced. Some key games that were getting support turned out to be pretty disappointing.

I read about COD4 getting upgraded textures and that didn't seem to happen, it's basically the same game (not even HDR supported) with a res bump and a more stable frame rate in SP.  Titanfall gets zero of PC's advanced features, again, opting for just a res bump and no HDR support. Black Ops 3, same game. What's more is Uncharted 4's singleplayer which mainly just gets a res bump has the same performance profile as the standard version. Ie, it dips in frame rate hard in heated moments. It's a 30 FPS game and it still drops as low as 24 on PS4 Pro. It does support HDR, though

On that point Digital Foundry say that HDR is nowhere near as impressive on their screens as when they saw it at the September 7 reveal. Noting that it was shown on a $4000 screen and it was simulated. They've also made claims earlier that they have non-HDR capable OLED screens that have better color and contrast than most consumer accessible 4K HDR screens.

On a positive note. Uncharted 4 MP does get a res boost from 900p to 1080p and they claim that under heated moments that produced frame rate hitches in the standard version the framerate seemed to hold more steady.

There are a couple of games that do get noticeable improvements. Like Shadows of Mordor which gets a frame rate boost to 60 and enhanced textures, I think. Paragon sees more scene detail. Of course Rise of the Tomb Raider. Though, I'm still uncertain if it get's PC's biggest feature, displacement mapping.

Also, supersampling does clean up the image. On a 1080p screen watching COD4's SP being played on a PS4 Pro there is a noticeable lack of jaggies and vegetation does look crisper.

So at this point it does seem like you're just mostly buying future potential. I was hoping some of the in depth stuff would convince me of it's worth but it looks like, at best, I'll be buying it grudgingly. Some claim, "well, it's only $400". Personally, $400 for something that doesn't really do much more than what I already have isn't really a positive. I'd rather it have been $600 and actually done something tangible.

Improvements in older games may come from the SATA3 interface and an SSD. Assets will load faster (as will the PS4 UI), so there should be less pop-in, more stable framerates etc.

Actually PS4 already has that benefit. I have an SSD installed and I can tell you for certain that games that
make heavy use of streaming like open world games have less texture pop-in and they do load faster. Though, some MP games intentionally lock you out of the level until all players loaded all the assets. Primary example being Destiny. Which cuts loading times considerably if you enter a match in progress or in PVE areas but if you enter a match from lobby it will take a long time to load. As for framerate, there are very few instances of there being a frame rate benefit. Fallout 4 being the primary one that comes to mind. It's not even so much as frame rate improvements as it alleviated or gets rid of hitching when switching weapons or exploring and passing some milestone.

How much faster is SATA 3 than USB 3?
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01:28 AM - 11/08/16 »
I decided to buy one yesterday but have backed down.

I want the white model. I always wait for the white model.

I never cared until I got a cat and have cat hair freaking everywhere.

Black consoles don't look good covered in orange hair.

White consoles can go months without a dust down and look brand new.

So the wait continues. Dammit. @#$% the cat!
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #29 on: 05:01 AM - 11/08/16 »
Actually PS4 already has that benefit. I have an SSD installed and I can tell you for certain that games that
make heavy use of streaming like open world games have less texture pop-in and they do load faster. Though, some MP games intentionally lock you out of the level until all players loaded all the assets. Primary example being Destiny. Which cuts loading times considerably if you enter a match in progress or in PVE areas but if you enter a match from lobby it will take a long time to load. As for framerate, there are very few instances of there being a frame rate benefit. Fallout 4 being the primary one that comes to mind. It's not even so much as frame rate improvements as it alleviated or gets rid of hitching when switching weapons or exploring and passing some milestone.

How much faster is SATA 3 than USB 3?

I've heard that about vanilla PS4, but it should be much more noticeable on the Pro.

By more stable framerates I mean hitching. I've just started The Division and there's been a few instances of really bad hitching that I'm hoping will be smoothed out on the Pro.

Fallout 4 should also get a boost to performance, particularly if like me, you've gone a bit nuts with settlement over-building using glitches.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts