XIM Community

XFPS Sniper vs Sniper + XIM  (Read 4391 times)

Offline browntd

• View Profile
XFPS Sniper vs Sniper + XIM
« on: 03:53 PM - 01/20/08 »
I bought the XFPS sniper and just bought a derektm XIM (haven't received it quite yet).  I'm actually doing fairly well just using the sniper (although it obviously has some problems).  I'm wondering who else is using a sniper + XIM? (not just the normal XFPS + XIM)  I'm a little worried about the comments on the XIM diagonal tracking problem.  Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Administrator

Re: XFPS Sniper vs Sniper + XIM
« Reply #1 on: 04:29 PM - 01/20/08 »
if you set the XIM up correctly you shouldn't have any issues

Offline Hacksaw1942

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:46 PM - 01/20/08 »
Ya know I was actually happy with my XFPS Sniper w/ HALO3.  I just got my XIM setup 2 days ago and at first it was weird because it felt al ot smoother compared to the Sniper alone which I was getting use to.  But I would say that the XIM is a lot better .

Offline Abhinav

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:02 PM - 01/20/08 »
Even with the restricted diagonal movement with the xim, it is better than just the Sniper by far. There's no doubt that the addition of the xim is a gift bestowed upon us by the gaming gods.

Offline DamienKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:47 AM - 01/21/08 »
I have the XFPS sniper and just setup my XIM today.  With just a few minutes of play testing I am already excited about the difference.

Just being able to completely customize your keyboard input (xfps has certain things locked in) is nice, and being able to save settings for different games in a file is wonderful.  Moving between COD4 and HALO3 is a cinch  (compared to tweaking the SET option on the XFPS).

With COD4, the sniper vs snip + xim is no contest.  Its a world of difference.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 08:56 AM - 01/21/08 »
XIM should at least be as good as the Sniper stand-alone. The Sniper uses a very simple translation scheme that can be modelled using the XIM. Both the Sniper and the SJF uses a Square deadzone geometry. Most people choose Circular for Halo 3 when playing with the XIM. You could experiment with Square deadzone and see what sorts of results you get.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline browntd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:09 AM - 01/21/08 »
I'm not worried about the XIM addition making it worse, just wondering if it is worth the money when it seems that the Sniper alone does okay with Halo 3, but from some of the comments on here it obviously makes a big enough difference to be worth it.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 11:18 AM - 01/21/08 »
XIM will continue to evolve and be refined. Better translation methods will be created over time (it's just math, after all :).
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Abhinav

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:36 PM - 01/21/08 »
XIM will continue to evolve and be refined. Better translation methods will be created over time (it's just math, after all :).

That makes me anticipate the XFPS-less XIM even more.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:45 AM - 01/22/08 »
Even with the restricted diagonal movement with the xim, it is better than just the Sniper by far. There's no doubt that the addition of the xim is a gift bestowed upon us by the gaming gods.
/quote]

Problem with diagonal movement? I spent about 2-3 hours in Isolation on halo 3 and I do not find any major issues with diag movement. I practiced target shooting going diag and once you get it down you are pwning with it.

I use the following config file for Halo 3 using a 2400dpi creative mouse. I was using the mx518, but seriously the 1600dpi feels lame. 2400 feels more tight. The set up below is pretty spot on for my set up and works VERY well. The tricky thing here is the [color=red]translation exponent[/color] - go to little and you don't move at all - go too much and its WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY fast.

Deadzone. This one I have constantly messed with, Im between 32 and 42 and so far I really like 32. You go to large and the deadzone becomes the default of halo 3. Go to small and it feels wrong. There is a magic sweet spot to be had and so far I like 32 (but 37 feels good too)

What I have found is by lowering the translation exponent and increasing the sensitivity (as shown below with .35 translation exponent and 14 sensitivity) gives a nice snappy feel with the ability to near flick shot like qualities.

2.00 X/Y ratio gives a nice circle feel when moving the mouse about and seems to give me a very responsive diag movement

I went with a higher smoothness than most of .75 This helped with the accuracy quite a bit and I do not really experience any jerkiness (which is nice). I have dumped it down to 0 and to .125 - .30ish and gets jerkey. It does get a tad "heavy" feeling, but with the increased sensitivity along with the exponent translation seems to offset that.

Below I am using a creative labs 2400DPI mouse

[Configuration]
InputDevice               = MouseKeyboard
MouseDeadZone             = 0
MouseUpdateFrequency      = 1
AnalogStickOnRight        = True
AnalogStickDeadZoneFind   = False

[AnalogStick]
DeadZone                  = 32
DeadZoneType              = Circular
YXRatio                   = 2.00
TranslationExponent       = .35
SensitivityPrimary        = 15.00
SensitivitySecondary      = 30.00
SensitivityToggle         = KeyLeftControl
Smoothness                = 0.75

That's about what I can add regarding halo 3 and my experience with it.

I have

The Xim
XFPS sniper 3.0
Merc Zboard
Creative 7600 2400DPI mouse (like the mx518 but 1/3 lighter)

Of course, in the coming week(s) I will continue to dive deeper into the xim. It would be nice to have a calibration tool of some sort, like moving your mouse in a circle and diagonal and left right, up down then calibrating your natural range of movement into a sensitivity and translation exponent input by the calibration tool. Yes...yes....yes.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:00 PM - 01/25/08 »

(me talking like OBsIV) Yeah just Math Guys, It's not that I'm super smarty pants or anything. . .

::)  ;D  :D

Sir OBsIV your Holy Gamingness, if I must say you totally Re-evolved the gaming WORLD, no joke! Best thing since Sliced Bread!
żDo You iPwn??
Ohh? Cause I Do!!!