XIM Community

Rainbow Six: Siege - left faster than right  (Read 8163 times)

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
Re: Rainbow Six: Siege - left faster than right
« Reply #15 on: 09:17 AM - 11/18/16 »
As I said before:
The game left/right ratio is not constant.
At higher input values it tends to 1, seems to be 1 at maximum input value
At lower input values it can be >1.6
It's a problem with game mechanics that the XIM is supposed to "fix" with the right translator. I don't know who made the R6:S translator, but that person only measured movement to the right*, so they got a 1:1 translator for movement to the right* only.

EDIT: I'm going to make some more measurements, including some up/down ratios.

*EDIT2: Sorry for my mistake, I meant to say "right" instead of "left"
« Last Edit: 07:53 AM - 11/19/16 by TSARGA »

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04:41 PM - 11/18/16 »
Looks like we need another thread: "Rainbow Six: Siege - up faster than down"

Some approximate left/right ratios:

Some approximate up/down ratios:

Wondering if down curve = right curve and if up curve = left curve...

What now? Translator update?

P.S: ω = angular speed
« Last Edit: 04:40 AM - 11/19/16 by TSARGA »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 09:50 PM - 11/18/16 »
Yes, it does.

Ok, if this happens when using a controller too, then this sounds like a bug in the game.

It looks like it happens at maximum turn speed (i.e. when the stick is pegged). One thing to try is to use a curve to prevent hitting that maximum turn speed. This would a curve that is normal (diagonal) but goes horizontal towards the end. This will prevent the stick from pegging and tell you if that's actually the problem.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05:30 AM - 11/19/16 »
It looks like it happens at maximum turn speed (i.e. when the stick is pegged).

Actually, it happens at lower turn speeds. The deadzone is between 18% and 19% I think. The closer your input is to the deadzone, the bigger the left/right difference is. At 20%, movement to the left is nearly 6 times faster (ratio of 5.9) than movement to the right. But at 100%, movement to the right seems to be as fast as movement to the left (ratio of 1).

My theory is that movements resulting from negative inputs (left and up) both use the same turning curve. Movements resulting from positive inputs (right and down) both use the same turning curve too.

One thing to try is to use a curve to prevent hitting that maximum turn speed. This would a curve that is normal (diagonal) but goes horizontal towards the end. This will prevent the stick from pegging and tell you if that's actually the problem.

Have you considered smart training this game twice? Once to the left and once to the right? Then assigning the left curve to up, and the right curve to down?..

I'm just suggesting...

Offline Peter Lemon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09:27 AM - 11/19/16 »
I noticed that when I set my Joystick Deadzone value 0 I get the movement just like TSARGA described in his measurements. If my JD value is the default 7500 movement is much better. Don't know why this Joystick value applies to my mouse but it does.

I've put up like 400 hours after the stuttery bug patch but have not created a stable muscle memory and in fast paced situations I'm struggling all the time to aim consistently. When I do the classical move your mouse left->right->left I never end up in the same spot and if I alter the speed not even close. There's still something weird going on.

Although the current state of profile is so much better it has ever been before so props for that but like TSARGA said I think it should be revisited - please.  :)

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10:42 AM - 11/19/16 »
I noticed that when I set my Joystick Deadzone value 0 I get the movement just like TSARGA described in his measurements. If my JD value is the default 7500 movement is much better. Don't know why this Joystick value applies to my mouse but it does.

Offline gravkaw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10:50 AM - 11/19/16 »
I've noticed this issue as well (PS4). Turning to the right doesn't have the same acceleration as turning to the left (it's slower).

Ok, if this happens when using a controller too, then this sounds like a bug in the game.

It looks like it happens at maximum turn speed (i.e. when the stick is pegged). One thing to try is to use a curve to prevent hitting that maximum turn speed. This would a curve that is normal (diagonal) but goes horizontal towards the end. This will prevent the stick from pegging and tell you if that's actually the problem.

Tried that, didn't work. I also tried increasing the in-game deadzone to 25 (and adjusting the boost setting in the ST to match) and the result was the same.

Offline Peter Lemon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02:58 PM - 11/19/16 »
Oh gee - this Joystick deadzone might be a totally different animal or somehow related to this issue. I'll add some at the other post (http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=47757.msg568512#msg568512).

TSARGA: Correct me if I'm totally wrong but according to your measurements if you tilt the stick of ds4 controller 20% or move mouse really slow right should you get like 1/6th of the movement to the left? So moving left is way faster then moving right - correct?  ::)

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04:07 PM - 11/19/16 »
TSARGA: Correct me if I'm totally wrong but according to your measurements if you tilt the stick of ds4 controller 20% or move mouse really slow right should you get like 1/6th of the movement to the left? So moving left is way faster then moving right - correct?  ::)

Yes, 1/6th. Moving left is way faster than moving right at low tilt.

The same goes for moving up and down. Moving up is way faster than moving down at low tilt.

Offline Peter Lemon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05:26 PM - 11/19/16 »
Yes, 1/6th. Moving left is way faster than moving right at low tilt.
The same goes for moving up and down. Moving up is way faster than moving down at low tilt.
Just out of curiosity have you tried adjusting your Joystick Deadzone value in the manager and if you have what kind of results did you end up with? If you haven't what's the value in? Are you using Android or iPhone manager? Which firmware do you have on your Xim4?

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06:13 PM - 11/19/16 »
Please note that all measurements were made using CronusMax with a GPC script that outputs a constant value. No XIM4.

Just out of curiosity have you tried adjusting your Joystick Deadzone value in the manager and if you have what kind of results did you end up with?

I don't know what black magic could make your joystick deadzone apply to your mouse.

What if your mouse is being identified as a joystick?

If you haven't what's the value in?

Default 7500, but it doesn't matter.

Are you using Android or iPhone manager?

Android, but it doesn't matter.

Which firmware do you have on your Xim4?

Newest, but it doesn't matter.

Offline Peter Lemon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08:26 PM - 11/19/16 »
Yes I did know you're using constant input values (the only way to go) which prove's there's a bug in the look mechanics and we need a fix for that.

The symptoms are so close or even related so I thought Xim4 might also have some role in this but you made it pretty clear this isn't the case. Maybe the joystick thing is only on my part then even though I do get a solid mouse icon with my two different mice at the manager and I'll deal with that at the different topic.  :-[

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10:44 AM - 11/30/16 »
Is there an option to make 4 separate curves (up, right, down, left)?

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Timmie 3000
« Reply #28 on: 02:23 AM - 12/01/16 »
Please note that all measurements were made using CronusMax with a GPC script that outputs a constant value. No XIM4.

Hope I can help,
This might explain the issue.

Using the Titan Two Device manager you can clearly see that the deadzones are not set 0. The deadzones for the ps3 and ps4 controllers default to 0.39 for the X, and -0.39 for the Y.

Their is nothing wrong with the Cronus Pro Device Manager, the only issue with it, is that it only displays full integers, No decimals, or fractions.

It appears to be the game at fault, for not correcting the deadzones, But none the less, if the game is at fault the Xim4 should be able to correct this problem easily. I don't know if it can be corrected with a Cronus Pro Script, Because the Cronus Max can not use decimals, or fractions.

Offline TSARGA

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05:16 AM - 12/01/16 »
But none the less, if the game is at fault the Xim4 should be able to correct this problem easily.

Exactly.