XIM Community

PlayStation VR - anyone? no-one? Dust.  (Read 5154 times)

Offline gahagafaka

• MVP
  • The Avian Floo
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: The Worst Ever
  • PSN ID: crack_monk
Re: PlayStation VR - anyone? no-one? Dust.
« Reply #15 on: 02:33 AM - 10/14/16 »
OK, I tired it... it actually has much better IQ than the vive and a tad better than the rift pixelation wise/SDE wise

for something using lower end hardware/resolution i'm impressed if anything

using these things for big screens though.... jeez talk about doing it wrong
games tailored for vr are fine.

big screen mode only good if you travelling with your consoles (i say consoles because i've got it working on anything now.. and pc but thats sorta finicky)
Lion tamer, Goat slayer, Bird brains, Narnian

Offline Amuro

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04:20 AM - 10/14/16 »
I cancelled my PSVR pre-order last week after reading the reviews.  I just don't like the motion tracking of the Move; it was bad enough on the PS3 back then.  I also repurchased the Rift and pre-ordered the Touch controller.

P.S.
Buying from Amazon UK is so much cheaper if you live outside EU.  The Rift is only $585 including priority shipping vs $693.28 from Amazon US.   

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04:32 AM - 10/14/16 »
I pre-ordered when I read that interview where they said they were treating it as seriously as any other platform launch. BS. It was almost dead silence leading up to the launch. I was expecting the fanfare, hype, the marketing blitz, crazy exclusives, and announcements to rival a PS5 launch.

What does it have to do with games that some random celebrity shows up to some stupid red carpet event? Because something like this would show to me how serious they are about this and it's not going to end up like another unsupported peripheral. The radio silence is what lead me to cancel my preorder. If you're going to ask me to spend more than the PS4 launched for, I need to see that you're not mucking around. I read a lot of people saying they didn't need to say anything because the initial shipment was sold out anyway. Yes that's technically true but that does not help my confidence in long term support. Considering Nintendo abandon's every single "New" DS console, the Kinect, the Move, and the long history of abandoned hardware from every company, consumers need more than empty promises these days.
« Last Edit: 04:40 AM - 10/14/16 by piiwii »
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #18 on: 01:19 AM - 10/15/16 »
for something using lower end hardware/resolution i'm impressed if anything

using these things for big screens though.... jeez talk about doing it wrong
games tailored for vr are fine.

VR wasn't terrible, it just wasn't worth the asking price of $550 here, particularly in light of needing to spend another $550 on the PS4 Pro to make VR half-way decent.

Given the scope of VR titles is likely to be limited and potentially short-lived, I wanted the PSVR to be at least capable in Cinematic Mode. Unfortunately, it was far from it and was the primary reason for returning it, I just couldn't justify the cost for it to gather dust.

That and I couldn't get past the screen-door effect and overall blurry, low-res presentation.

When VR hits 4K, I'm definitely going back in, the additional pixel density is what VR needs.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wa2En5emble
« Reply #19 on: 02:11 AM - 10/15/16 »
Interesting the biggest complaint ive heard about psvr is poor tracking. I also heard the image quality was better than the vive due to some factors.

After a few minutes in vr you usually get used to the screendoor especially if immersed in the game. Still though i cant wait for hardware that can run higher res vr. Also I wouldnt reccommend the vive to anyone who doesnt have a grand to toss in the garbage, Im sure just about the same can be said for psvr.
Ice... 15ml lime cordial... 1 dash angostura bitters... 2 oz 100% agave tequila... top off with sprite or 7 up

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03:25 AM - 10/15/16 »
I could imagine playing with the VR just to look around in FPS games and aiming with mouse according to the current view. Would make aiming more difficult but if itís the same for all? Could be great I think. Imagine looking around with the vr and having the crosshair free in screen. Just like live aiming. And heres your killstreak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oGZ4TZr5k
Crusade atm: none

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #21 on: 04:39 AM - 10/15/16 »
Go watch some gameplay broadcasts from the game pages in the PS Store VR section. The videos looks better than while wearing the headset, but still demonstrate the blur, warp, shaking, inaccurate controls, tracking loss etc.

Set your expectations to upscaled PS Vita and PS Move controls. Think 6 year old PS3 gaming, but with a screen-door strapped to your face, at least in terms of visual fidelity. Character models, environments, interactions and level design are better and more complex than Vita, but playing Vita games on PSTV is as close to the image quality as seen through the headset as I can portray. It's ok, but far from good.

I don't really want to wait for 4K, so maybe the PS4 Pro will tighten things up and I'll revisit the PSVR in 6-12 months once the tech has bedded down.
« Last Edit: 05:34 AM - 10/15/16 by antithesis »

Offline gahagafaka

• MVP
  • The Avian Floo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07:09 AM - 10/15/16 »
man you are PISSED

Offline gahagafaka

• MVP
  • The Avian Floo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07:18 AM - 10/15/16 »
2-4 years and vr will be great when the tech lets people use good screens, maybe sooner because acer's funding a 1440p one but that looks very heavy

http://www.starvr.com/#techspecs

till then, for the price vs the competition its not bad for the current era, next gen consoles MIGHT beable to do 4k vr but pspro/scorpio will only do crap like this sadly

scorpio will probably work with pc vr headsets judging from the specs/phil spencer

I think vr companies aren't even really focusing on resolution at the moment as much as wire cutting currently anyways...
« Last Edit: 07:22 AM - 10/15/16 by gahagafaka »

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #24 on: 07:43 AM - 10/15/16 »
I think VR has legs, if they can solve three problems -

1. wireless headsets
2. high-res screens
3. improved tracking

I could care less about 4K for desktop / couch gaming, but it's now firmly on my radar for VR.

Offline bf4noob56676

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07:59 AM - 10/15/16 »
Vr is a waste of time. This technology is in beta phase in terms of video games. It's best utilized in watching the next avatar or some horror movie. It will quickly die like 3D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09:24 AM - 10/15/16 »
The tracking on the vive is awesome. Not perfect, but almost there. Really the only thing terrible is the resolution and lack of content. The wires i got used to and i use a wireless headset for it. Sony shouldve invested more time in their tracking system instead of using old tech.
Ice... 15ml lime cordial... 1 dash angostura bitters... 2 oz 100% agave tequila... top off with sprite or 7 up

Offline gahagafaka

• MVP
  • The Avian Floo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09:36 AM - 10/15/16 »
i've only messed with games that use head tracking so  i cannot comment on Move tracking but the head tracking is a-ok for me so far

only been playing eve valkrie though but that games fun as hell.

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02:00 PM - 10/15/16 »
Yea i think the head tracking on psvr is not the problem, its the move controllers.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01:00 AM - 10/18/16 »
Something I just read, dont forget to go into prefs and set up Eye distance to have better picture. It will still suck but may get much better.
Crusade atm: none