XIM Community

Suggestion: Multiple Turn Assist Buttons  (Read 2143 times)

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: swerve_gotti
Suggestion: Multiple Turn Assist Buttons
« on: 07:40 PM - 10/11/16 »
I saw a several conversations about this about 6+ months ago about people requesting this feature, primarily for playing The Division with its multiple radial menus, however, I haven't seen anything about it since.  Is this something that is currently being persued?  Turn Assist definitely works best for these menus (rather than trying to use Boost), and the ideal solution would be either:

Ability to set multiple (at least 4) buttons for turn assist instead of just one
Ability to set a turn assist button for each subconfig (this currently exists), but when the XIM4 switches to the new subconfig, the currently pressed button is read as input for initiating turn assist

The second seems more extensible (we could then have as many turn assist toggles as there are subconfigs), but the first would solve the immediate problem and would be fairly simple from a user experience standpoint.

The goal of either implementation is allowing the user to bind an action (i.e. open the radial menu) AND turn assist activation to more than one button.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Suggestion: Multiple Turn Assist Buttons
« Reply #1 on: 09:10 AM - 10/12/16 »
Welcome to the community. I'm not quite sure I understand the issue completely. It sounds like you'd like a better way to use radial menus. Are you using a keyboard or joystick for movement?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:02 PM - 10/12/16 »
Glad to be a part of the community!

I'm using a Sony Nav for movement.  In a game like The Division, you'll activate one of three radial menus by pressing and holding a direction on the D-Pad (left, down, or right), then navigate said menu with the Right Stick.  This is very difficult until you use Turn Assist.

Right now, it is possible to bind Turn Assist and one of the menus to a single button, which is perfect!  The problem is, there's no solution for other two menus. 

The current work-around is to bind Turn Assist to a different button, but this is less than ideal because you have to release the D-Pad before you release the Turn Assist button in order to make the selection, and this can affect your aim once the menu is dismissed.

All I would want is to be able to bind Turn Assist and the Menu activation to more than one button.  For example:

Advanced Mouse Settings

Turn Assist 1: D-Pad Left
Turn Assist 2: D-Pad Down
Turn Assist 3: D-Pad Right
Turn Assist 4: None
---
Button Settings

D-Pad Left: D-Pad Left
D-Pad Down: D-Pad Down
D-Pad Right: D-Pad Right
D-Pad Up: D-Pad Up

I hope this makes sense.
« Last Edit: 06:21 PM - 10/12/16 by laforr77 »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 11:19 PM - 10/12/16 »
It does, thanks for explaining. I would next look at using switchers to Settings (sub-Configs) where each activation key is the D-Pad direction and you set, within that sub-Config, Turn-Assist activation to the D-Pad direction you used to activate it. And, make the Activation "hold" so it'll return to your last sub-Config upon release.

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:10 AM - 10/14/16 »
I tried that, and the problem is that although the XIM recognizes the input and switches to the subconfig, Turn Asssist is not activated, despite the button being held. It's almost as if it expects the button to be pressed AFTER the subconfig is activated, and any input BEFORE the subconfig was active is ignored by the subconfig.

If that's a bug that can be addressed that would be the best solution as its way more scalable than having four Turn Assist buttons.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 09:31 AM - 10/14/16 »
Oh ok, it must be because it's watching to see the button pressed before engaging. It seems like that shouldn't be the behavior but I'll have to think about it more since turn assist works on toggle too.

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:13 PM - 11/08/16 »
Oh ok, it must be because it's watching to see the button pressed before engaging. It seems like that shouldn't be the behavior but I'll have to think about it more since turn assist works on toggle too.

Just curious - is this something that would be targeted for the next beta release? 

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 06:22 PM - 11/08/16 »
Unfortunately we have higher priority things going on right now. Have you considered using XIM Commander?

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:59 PM - 07/21/17 »
Did this bug fix turn out to be more complicated than originally anticipated? I haven't heard anything about it in the last few months.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:43 PM - 07/21/17 »
If you add a delay of say 50-80ms to the sub config then it should work. Also you'll want to use the sub to activate TA, another words in should be assigned within the sub and not from the Hip.
XXX | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 12,000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Anti Aim Assist curves for ANY Game - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
BO4 Advanced Setup - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=71097.msg718710#msg718710
Destiny 2 Advanced Settings - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.msg626940#msg626940

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:15 AM - 07/22/17 »
I tried your suggestion this morning but unfortunately, it doesn't work.  Even with the delay up to 120+ ms, Turn Assist does not trigger if configured inside of the sub-config.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:28 AM - 07/22/17 »
I tried your suggestion this morning but unfortunately, it doesn't work.  Even with the delay up to 120+ ms, Turn Assist does not trigger if configured inside of the sub-config.

Strange this works fine for me with a BF config. Try using Hold behavior in the sub, so use the same button to activate the sub and TA within the sub. Did you remove the TA assignment from Hip? Also, would switching the sticks in the sub work for what you're trying to do. I don't play The Division but I use this feature for the comorse wheel in BF1. This allows you to use the left stick to maneuver around the wheel instead of the mouse. Although that would be impossible (without two hands) if you had to use the Dpad at the same time. You would have to re-assign those dpad buttons.

« Last Edit: 09:41 AM - 07/22/17 by RML »
XXX | C:M$ | XIM APEX | Latest | BenQ 24" Monitor | Pad: Steel Series 9HD | Sony Nav | A: Sennheiser 650's/Mod mic/Sound Blaster X7 | M: G502 | D: 12,000 | P: 1000 | AAA Setup [on]

Anti Aim Assist curves for ANY Game - http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0
BO4 Advanced Setup - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=71097.msg718710#msg718710
Destiny 2 Advanced Settings - https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=56658.msg626940#msg626940

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:13 PM - 07/24/17 »
I'll have to fire up BF1 and see if it is indeed game specific. I've tried using the swap sticks function and it does work ok for The Dvision but it's so different from the controller setup that it never really felt natural.

Just curious, but what firmware are you on? I just checked and I'm still on 20160405 and I wonder if this was fixed in the latest 2017 firmware.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • L1vE DiFfeR3nT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:16 AM - 07/27/17 »
I'm on the latest, however I used to do this on previous versions as well.

I'll try it out this weekend and see if there's something we're both missing here.

Offline laforr77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04:51 PM - 07/29/17 »
So I finally got around to playing some Battlefield 1 and I set up my Commo Rose wheel as you suggested and it didn't work for me, so there's probably a step I'm missing.

Some screenshots showing my current setup:

Anything jump out as incorrect?