XIM Community

Overwatch aiming changes but dual config, can Xim handle it?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline humanfemale

• View Profile
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20294485

They are finally trying to do something about it:
- Controller users can now choose between two aiming modes

1.    Dual-Zone mode (New default): The vast majority of the thumbstick's range moves with reduced sensitivity and relatively high acceleration. However, when the thumbstick crosses to the outer 10% of its range, it will move with high sensitivity and relatively low acceleration. This mode will allow for more precise aiming, while still allowing players to turn around quickly.

2.    Exponential Ramp mode (Old default): As the thumbstick moves toward the outside of its range, the sensitivity is ramped up exponentially. The acceleration remains relatively high throughout.

But what does this mean for Xim. Will Overwatch from now on need two separately trained ST's, one for each configuration mode?  Of course picking one as the supported/default is possible,  but I am guessing there will always be users who will complain that the other mode is better.

Offline Lejind

• View Profile
Interesting... this could be good news if the dual zone mode is better.

rawr123

Was just about to post about this!

Wouldn't more acceleration be bad?

Offline Quiddler

• View Profile
At the very least it sounds like we should be able to keep the existing config, so the STs will continue to work.

Offline chos3n_one

• View Profile

The problem was that the sensitivity was going too high while having a high acceleration, making it hard to track targets while not using any aim assist on the XIM4. Trying to make small movements would have the reticle all over the place. With the fix to the aim assist a month ago, having a high in-game aim assist with a good amount of boost on the XIM settings was supposed to combat that issue, where when you were on a target your sensitivity slowed down to make it easier to land shots, but when just looking around you could do a 180 relatively quickly.

With the new dual-zone mode, it seems to mimic those settings as a default. I wish consoles had PTR so I could test it out by taking off the boost and lowering aim assist in-game to 0. If I understand the new dual-zone mode correctly, it means that using the XIM4 should be much closer to playing Overwatch on PC than it has been since the game launched. However, I doubt it will be exactly the same as PC because they would have to increase the turn speed on console.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
was about to post that :)
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
based on how both version do read none of them sounds like a great pick for XIM
(though the second one is already what we have)

the question is does the new option have timebased acceleration, which doesnt really sound like it
that alone would be a great improvement
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
The new mode isn't a good thing at all. It is mimicking what Halo 5's aiming system has which was awful.

Is it so @#$% hard to make a normal look mechanic these days? Jesus.
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
The only interesting thing about the dual mode is the outer 10% of the joystick which results in high sens with low acceleration. Would it even be possible to mold an ST or a curve that forces your stick deflection to the outer 10%, therefore allowing you to get that high sens and low accel?

If that makes any sense [emoji14]
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile

Time based acceleration is definitely bad but I think more velocity based acceleration is good because the Smart Translator can just smooth it out.

If it's not time based then the Dual-Zone mode sounds a lot like Battlefield's aiming mechanic. Though, we don't know how fast the max turn speed will be and if it'll be missing vectors.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile

Time based acceleration is definitely bad but I think more velocity based acceleration is good because the Smart Translator can just smooth it out.

If it's not time based then the Dual-Zone mode sounds a lot like Battlefield's aiming mechanic. Though, we don't know how fast the max turn speed will be and if it'll be missing vectors.

yes i thought so too, it might be better than it reads on first sight
mist will surely handle it so we can maybe test the two against each other :)

Offline jesser509

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: ZeroTNightmare
I am sorry guys but I actually believe this change will hinder our aiming experience.

Let's reread the post carefully.

Dual-Zone mode (New default): The vast majority of the thumbstick's range [will now move] with reduced sensitivity [compared to current max turn speed] and relatively high acceleration [compared to the current acceleration]. However, when the thumbstick crosses to the outer 10% (i.e. If the radius of the thumbstick is 1cm then when the thumbstick has traveled .9cm and is reaching the outer .1cm) of its range, it will move with high sensitivity and relatively low acceleration. This mode will allow for more precise aiming, while still allowing players to turn around quickly.

So to recap, most of our movement will be forced to have a lower max turn speed and more acceleration than we are used to. This doesn't sound too good to me...

The only chance I see hear is if you set your minimum on your xim curve to be 90%, which in my experience with the current aiming mechanic doesn't work well at all, however that may be due to current high acceleration at that level. So this is the first thing I will be trying, after Mist gives us a new ST if necessary. Just my 2 copper.... (Wait... World of Warcraft???) just my 2 currency...

Offline Just

• View Profile
The only interesting thing about the dual mode is the outer 10% of the joystick which results in high sens with low acceleration. Would it even be possible to mold an ST or a curve that forces your stick deflection to the outer 10%, therefore allowing you to get that high sens and low accel?

If that makes any sense [emoji14]

That's a good point. I doubt the default new ST will be like that, but who knows