XIM Community

Tut: Modded N52te, 2016 Edition  (Read 22980 times)

Offline Pistol451

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pistol451
Re: Tut: Modded N52te, 2016 Edition
« Reply #75 on: 08:36 AM - 06/18/21 »
Here are the gerber files for the PCB, bear in mind I haven't got them printed yet, only that the PCB fab house have accepted them. Should be fine, but I'll confirm once I have PCBs in hand.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av_FyZZxIrKV30-bYffiIgUj9eb7?e=t8xwBg

Offline Pistol451

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pistol451
Re: Tut: Modded N52te, 2016 Edition
« Reply #76 on: 07:25 AM - 07/22/21 »
Well, progress!

I decided I wanted to make the switches and LEDs in my device hot-swappable; I currently have a batch of cheap Gateron yellows, which are allegedly somewhere near a Cherry MX Red switch. But if I don't like them, I'd like the ability to try something else without too much hassle. I also wanted to be able to change the LED colours on a whim. So, I looked into hot swap sockets. Seems the main ones favoured by mechanical keyboard afficionados are MillMax or Holtite; however, getting hold of them in the UK is not cheap. And the LED sized ones are just not available.

So, I hit Aliexpress, and found exactly what I wanted! They look like copies of the MillMax type, and come in just the right quantity to do an N52te. But, I was pretty sure they wouldn't fit the holes in W11cE's PCB. Took me long enough to figure out how to confirm how large the holes were, but when I eventually did, they were indeed too small. So, I tried to enlarge them. There continued my epic struggles with Eagle. But, I got there in the end! So, I now have a PCB designed to accept the Aliexpress hotswap sockets.

I also eventually managed to get the bottom part of the 3D printed assembly to pass the manufacturability test! It looks like a slice of swiss cheese now, but the fab house reckon they can print it so we'll just have to see how it turns out. All parts are now ordered, so once I have them I'll let you know how it goes!