XIM Community

Other companies producing something similar  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
Other companies producing something similar
« on: 02:43 AM - 03/10/10 »
Hey guys,

New the forums.

I've never wanted to use a proper mouse and keyboard converter until they become a bit more mainstream. Seems that time is upon us.

Quick question though. With Razer producing Xbox 360 stuff is it only a matter of time till they release a converter?

After all they also sell the products that could be connected to it. How do you think Microsoft would feel about a company like Razer doing that? I know they have ties in products already so maybe they have a relationship that would prevent such a product......how against this sort of thing to you think MS is?

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Other companies producing something similar
« Reply #1 on: 08:47 AM - 03/10/10 »
All i can say is that even if they did release something, it wont be like the xims.  they will go the route, if they actually did decide to do it, the way the xfpos did (in emulating the controller which equals @#$% results).  So i dont think it even gets to the point where they are concerned with MS, but thats just my opinion. 
personally i would love it if they made some option for m/kb users where i could play CS 1.6 without any hackers....o man would that be the best idea for the 360 at this point (i would still of course have my xim though lol)

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:47 AM - 03/10/10 »
 I don't think Razer would ever go that route. They're in too good with M$. Razer will do nothing to jeopardize that multi-million dollar relationship. Micro$oft has already said there will never be a mouse and keyboard support for the 360 or any console afterward . Mainly this is because of the huge marketshare they get from PC gamers on their .O.S's and gaming peripherals.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:20 AM - 03/11/10 »
Many thanks to you both for your replies.

8)

Oh and also what's the definition here of "mainstream" surely we are not talking about a product that we be sold elsewhere to here?

Offline jumpman21

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Leonard Dollars
« Reply #4 on: 10:03 AM - 03/11/10 »

8)

Oh and also what's the definition here of "mainstream" surely we are not talking about a product that we be sold elsewhere to here?

I think "mainstream" means readily available to anybody who wants one.
Lurker since Xim 1
Xim 3 Owner since 12/2011

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:15 AM - 03/12/10 »

8)

I think "mainstream" means readily available to anybody who wants one.

Ah right....that makes sense.

Offline hoak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:52 AM - 03/16/10 »
That's an interesting topic post Mugen as Microsoft already has a business relationship with Razor which produces two Microsoft mice -- one exclusively Microsoft branded, and one dual branded (the Habu). It's not unreasonable to assume if Microsoft were ever going to enable K&M on the 360 in some sort of retroactive manner they might choose Razor as a partner due to their reputation, branding and existing partnership.

But on closer examination I agree with comments by others elsewhere on the forums that this is fairly unlikely; Microsoft has already established two precedents with game Developers and Consumers: 1) K&M is already possible on the 360 if a Developer wants to enable it for thier game -- Unreal Tournament 3 is one example of a Developer that did just that, 2) Many Consumers want the 'level playing field' of the slow and awkward thumb driven controller only, and Microsoft has given several indications its intentions are to satisfy that segment of its audience.

All that said, it would be pretty easy for Microsoft to enable K&M for all games retroactively via firmware -- offering an XIM3 level of control right on the console for games that didn't initially incorporate it, and flagging servers as K&M or Controller exclusive, or nonexclusive to make everyone happy. The problem with this is there doesn't appear to be the economic incentive for Microsoft to do this yet; perhaps if the XIM3 sells in quantities that approach a significant percentage of Xbox360 sales Microsoft's perception will change.

:)

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:30 AM - 03/16/10 »
I think using a controller not only produces a level playing field but also levels the spread of talent.....sort of like holding the olympics but everyone has to wear huge foam body suits...it is very difficult even for the talented to get to the top and shine above the rest...I know there are many controller users that do prevail and show their talents but on the whole everyone is left thinking they are not that bad at the game, I know this is the case with me, I feel pretty good either with the controller or xim on xbox live....but if I play on a pc game server I invariably get my a$$ handed to me.

Offline 1234567

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:59 PM - 03/16/10 »
but on the whole everyone is left thinking they are not that bad at the game

That is, for the most part, a good thing.  People shouldn't have to spend countless hours building experience in order to have fun playing a game.  And let's face it -- when you're getting destroyed, you're usually not having fun.

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:57 PM - 03/16/10 »
ya but thats why people (used to at least) play fps games.  the learning curve was so steep that trashtalkers as we know it today existed as whiners, easily ascertained within minutes of a game.  now "everyone is the best".  honestly when people talk like you do, where mediocrity is a "good thing", it really does scare me.  some people who play forever should still be AWFUL (in relation to a GREAT well crafted bell shaped curve) so that others can be AMAZING.  when you marginalize these extremes, and if you say the 360 doesnt do that your hopeless as autoaim is a testament to this fact, your left with a "...." of repitition where you dont actually refine or tune any skills with no true brilliant players to learn from. i go on a limb to say that most people here played games on the pc to master the game, where they were horrible at first, something that doesnt come from the 360 gamers now, and this means people obtain a level of decency to easily without much effort( i actually dont want to make a tangent out of the first part of the sentence).  when you are reduced to that, well, you either settle or your perspective of great becomes skewed.  maybe not in all aspects of life but this is NOT the only area where this mentality (stupid hippy @#$%) is found.  there, im done....

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:42 AM - 03/17/10 »
I see and agree with your point bdm214, but if I was looking at it with M$ eyes I would want the majority of people to have "the better experience" rather than a small group of elite players kicking everyones @#$%. There's more money from the masses and may be one of the reasons they steer away from kb/m.

Offline Tarun

• MVP
  • Cheers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01:47 AM - 03/17/10 »
Part of the issue seperating mediocrity and expert is the in game ranking system that constitutes skill.

The toughest i've expereinced is Halo not sure about MW2 never played it
« Last Edit: 01:54 AM - 03/17/10 by Tarun »

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:38 AM - 03/17/10 »
I see and agree with your point bdm214, but if I was looking at it with M$ eyes I would want the majority of people to have "the better experience" rather than a small group of elite players kicking everyones @#$%. There's more money from the masses and may be one of the reasons they steer away from kb/m.
i can understand that, absolutely. i didnt think thats what he meant though. from that perspective it will make sense why someone would want to destroy a "sport".  I just dont like that "well i deserve it too" mentality that seems to cross over every aspect of life. 
really though, i wanna meet the nerd who said, hey lets make a console where we say screw the m/kb!

Offline robthereverend

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06:53 AM - 03/17/10 »
i can understand that, absolutely. i didnt think thats what he meant though. from that perspective it will make sense why someone would want to destroy a "sport".  I just dont like that "well i deserve it too" mentality that seems to cross over every aspect of life. 
really though, i wanna meet the nerd who said, hey lets make a console where we say screw the m/kb!

Ah yes, but nerd's aren't making consoles to fulfill their own motivations, companies are making consoles to turn a profit and achieve market share.

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07:07 AM - 03/17/10 »
yes?
and i mean THE NERD who said off with the m/kb...it was a joke as there must have been 1 person who really thought the m/kb needed to go...
but i mean we are only here because of an option they consciously neglect.  and if they wanted to reach everyone, then they would find a way of integrating both in some manner or another (not necessarily having controllers and m/kb together in the same servers though, just one or the other).  you cant wallhack on a 360...so that alone would be the best reason to get everyone on a console, an opportunity for money they neglect with every game. also, to say they want money is not to say they dont also have an agenda of their own as well.

(and before someone says its because these options will make the xbox different or less attractive, the 360 isnt perfect now by any stretch and people eat it up. I dont see that changing with MORE PEOPLE BUYING 360s)