XIM Community

K&M support for Xbox One  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
K&M support for Xbox One
« on: 02:26 PM - 06/15/16 »
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/e32016-xbox-one-get-keyboard-mouse-support-months-away/

Phil Spencer says that K&M support is months away. If devs will make use of it is yet to be seen.
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: K&M support for Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: 04:15 PM - 06/15/16 »
Our take is that it's highly unlikely that any developer will use it. And, if they do, it will be isolated in MP.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pfoiffee
« Reply #2 on: 05:41 PM - 06/15/16 »
At the very least, it will make typing msgs a breeze with our keyboards.

-My Setup-

- XIM3 | Xbox360 Pro 120GB
- XIM4 | XboxOne 1TB (Halo 5 LE Console)
- BenQ G2420HD Monitor (24"/1920x1080/2ms GTG) | *New Logitech G933 Gaming Headset | Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers
- Razer Orbweaver Gaming Keypad | Logitech G310 Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G700/s Wireless Gaming Mouse

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06:39 PM - 06/15/16 »
Our take is that it's highly unlikely that any developer will use it. And, if they do, it will be isolated in MP.

I'd usually be the pessimist here but MS's PC strategy seems to be more than hot air this time around. That being said I expect the uptake to be slllloooooww as they grapple with how to balance it with controller players. Even if they rolled this out today, it would literally be years before we saw full adoption, let alone patches to existing games (not happening in 99% of cases...).

The biggest risk I see is match making. They are likely to create separate matchmaking lobbies which means small communities / not super popular games will get split up even further.

Biggest benefits - FINALLY we might get some RTS games on console, and secondly, there's less likely to be garbage "innovations" like the Halo 5 velocity jumps etc to deal with.

HOWEVER, I don't see XIM being affected, for me anyway. The one thing I've learned over the years is just how much developers are in love with themselves. "Oh look at my beautiful cut scenes, want to skip them? Go screw yourself", "This is the perfect button layout, don't like it? Screw yourself". Even the OS level button remapping doesn't let you remap all buttons, and it doesn't let you do cool stuff like remap two functions to the same button (e.g. if the dpad is only used in the menus, you can use XIM to double up the functions to make the dpad useful in the game too...just one example). Ultimately I will still need XIM to fully customize the controls to my liking.

AND, make no mistake - this is not the complete death of funky controls and therefore the need for ST's. Expect to see developers still implement things like velocity jumps and at the very least, aim acceleration (*shudders*). Many PC games, as open as they are, still have this problem - funky controls and limited ability to remap keys. The XIM will always have a place in a world where developers are freaking clueless.
« Last Edit: 09:17 PM - 06/15/16 by piiwii »
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 06:39 PM - 06/15/16 »

It's barely been touched in the near-decade m/kb has been native on PlayStation consoles.

M/kb is being used in Halo Wars 2, which makes sense for click-dragging and macro grouping.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 08:16 PM - 06/15/16 »
Halo Wars 2 -- you mean on PC? What's the solution for living room for X1 in this case?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline piiwii

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:15 PM - 06/15/16 »
Halo Wars 2 -- you mean on PC? What's the solution for living room for X1 in this case?

That's so highly tailored for regular controls that I don't think they'll even bother, not even in the future with a patch.

Just a guess though.
Setup: XIM Apex, Titan Two, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, Logitech G440 mousepad, LucidSound LS30 headphones, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR wireless access point

My RAINBOW SIX SIEGE Titan Two Mega Script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM

What is a ballistic curve? Click here to learn more: https://bit.ly/2qzUAjg

Comprehensive guide on scissor style keyboards: https://goo.gl/UtkZyX

Find me on the ConsoleTuner (Titan Two) forums: pablosscripts

Offline TheCityWok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:32 PM - 06/15/16 »
This would be amazing if they forced it. Scorpio with mandatory mouse and keyboard support. Crossplay can suck it. I don't want to play with pc users.

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pfoiffee
« Reply #8 on: 10:57 PM - 06/16/16 »
This would be amazing if they forced it. Scorpio with mandatory mouse and keyboard support. Crossplay can suck it. I don't want to play with pc users.
Why, because you don't want to get mixed in with arse hats that resort to using hacks? Then just stick to private lobbies when you do cross-play. It's not hard to set them up, and all you need to do is stick with people you know without a doubt are not playing with any kind of hacks to give them a ridiculously unfair advantage.

In the event that you do come across a random in pubs that you believe is using hacks (and have evidence to back it) then just report them, spread the word to everyone you know... though it doesn't matter where you go, you're always likely to run into people that get a kick out of being total dicks and just want to ruin other people's day.

Saying that I can't/shouldn't play the same game on my PC with friends who're on a different platform because some people don't like PC's for whatever reason, is like saying I can't/shouldn't make calls or txt from my Android phone to anyone that has (for example) an iPhone because some people don't like Android. Do you see how dumb that sounds?
« Last Edit: 12:00 AM - 06/17/16 by Pfeuff »

-My Setup-

- XIM3 | Xbox360 Pro 120GB
- XIM4 | XboxOne 1TB (Halo 5 LE Console)
- BenQ G2420HD Monitor (24"/1920x1080/2ms GTG) | *New Logitech G933 Gaming Headset | Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers
- Razer Orbweaver Gaming Keypad | Logitech G310 Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G700/s Wireless Gaming Mouse