XIM Community

Building XIM Hardware without soldering  (Read 2104 times)

Offline AcceptYourDeath

• View Profile
Building XIM Hardware without soldering
« on: 06:19 AM - 03/09/10 »
I am surprised there is no hint how to build a XIM without soldering, at least the search function didn`t show me anything.

Have a look at these, and you probably already know how it works.
http://www.conrad.de/medias/global/ce/7000_7999/7300/7370/7371/737191_BB_00_FB.EPS_250.jpg

Because i couldn`t wait to get my XIM working when the Toolstick arrived i bought some of those connectors without knowing the exact size of the connector-holes at the daughtercard. So by guessing i bought the wrong size with 0,75mm but i managed to make them fit with a gripper ^^
I am pretty sure if you can find some with 0,5mm they will fit well.
I used a cutted cable from a PS2 Dualschock Controller and so far my XIM is working perfect at 62 updates with a Logic3 Converter.

I also noticed the blank wires of a controller cable can break very easy, this is another advantage of this solution. If the wires break for any reason you just have to add a new connector and stick it back to the daugthercard.

Offline pengu56

• View Profile
Re: Building XIM Hardware without soldering
« Reply #1 on: 06:26 AM - 03/09/10 »
Looks pretty nifty, but I don't get how it works lol.
So you stick the controller wires into the blue end, and then how does the other end connect to the daughter card? Or, rephrased, how does it stay put if you're not soldering it?

What are they called and where can they be found? Radio Shack?

I was just gonna solder the XIM myself, but considering I don't have much soldering experience, this sounds like a safer, and easily reparable, solution.

Offline AcceptYourDeath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:46 AM - 03/09/10 »
I am sorry i don`t know the exact translation of it. This connectors are standardized components for electronics. They are called "Kabelschuh" in germany and http://dict.leo.org translates it to "cable socket/cable shoe/cable lug..." which sounds right to me.

Well you just have to remove the insulation of each single cable just like you would to solder them. The blank wires will conduct with the iron of this connectors. You put the wires into the pipe and you can either use a gripper to press the plastic end together,
or you can also solder it, without the risk to destroy your daughtercard if you are not familiar with soldering (like me).  
And finally you can shrink the plastic by heaten it carefully and fix it to the isolation of the cables.

As i mentioned above i bought the wrong size (0,75mm2) and all i did was press it together on each side. For conduction and to keep the cables in place. Ill make a quick sketch and add it later.

btw sry for my bad english ^^
« Last Edit: 07:11 AM - 03/09/10 by AcceptYourDeath »

Offline AcceptYourDeath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07:28 AM - 03/09/10 »
Here is a quick sketch to illustrate how it works.

Never touch the device nor the wires while pluged in, just to make sure...
« Last Edit: 09:28 AM - 03/09/10 by AcceptYourDeath »

Offline pengu56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:03 PM - 03/09/10 »
Okay I see what you're talking about, we call them ring connectors or cable terminals.

I understand how to get the cable situated inside the terminal, but I don't understand how you're getting the terminal/"conductive iron" stuck to the daughter card if you're not soldering it to the card.

Offline AcceptYourDeath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:53 AM - 03/10/10 »
They should stay in place by their length. Just make sure the PS cable as a whole has no stress.