XIM Community

New member looking for advice on mancave setup  (Read 1294 times)

Offline 2pumpchump

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Dinglexberry
New member looking for advice on mancave setup
« on: 02:36 PM - 06/10/16 »
Hello all! I bought a Xim4 and am still figuring it out and trying to get used to it, but part of my problem is my setup:
I have a fairly large bedroom with a projector/receiver/PS4 on a shelf at the foot of my bed (and slightly to the right) and the projector shines onto a 10 foot screen about 8 feet away. I have my main bean bag chair sitting at the foot of my bed (to lean on the bed for back support) to the left of the shelf with all the electronics. All the devices are close to me, so wired items are not an issue - I can literally lean over and touch the PS4, but this comfy "mancave" setup with a bean bag chair is not very Keyboard and Mouse friendly. I've looked around at different "lap desk" boards to put on my lap and game, but the bean bag chair doesn't allow a lot of elbow movement, which isn't an issue for a controller but is for KBnM.

My question is this: is there anything anyone would recommend to make my setup better? Ideally, I would get a chair with a built in foldup tray that I can put all the stuff on and simply rotate to the side if I need to get up for anything, but all the chairs I've seen online that even come close to what I mean cost $300 and up - do not want to spend that much. I think a couchmaster setup would be great and would even accommodate a bean bag chair with a little tweaking but it seems a bit cumbersome and would require a lot of set up to start/finish gaming, making menial tasks like going to the bathroom and entire ordeal of "how do I get out of here?"

What I'm looking for specifically is a KBnM setup that will give me elbow support (which makes lap desks less ideal), doesn't take up a lot of space (so no full on desk and chair) and is easy to maneuver around if I need to get up.

I know, that's a very specific setup that's asking for a lot for a small price, but any help is appreciated. Some form of chair with armrests and foldup tray would be ideal, but I can't seem to find any.

Also as a side note, I plan on using a Razer Tartarus rather than a full-size keyboard, so I don't need too much space, but enough to move the mouse around comfortably.

Thanks in advance!

Offline quertz

• Less QQ more pew pew
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Mr Dr Pwnrbangr
Re: New member looking for advice on mancave setup
« Reply #1 on: 01:17 PM - 06/14/16 »
Would something like a folding table work? One that is lower to the ground, you could google 'camping table' or 'bed tray' etc?
That way you can still use the beanbag but have elbow support.
Also there is a whole thread in the general discussion section titled "post your setup pics" (think it's stickied at the top). You could look through there and see if someone else has posted a picture of a setup that would work for you.
Good luck!
Xbox One | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended |

Offline FortyOne

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Forty0ne
  • PSN ID: Forty_One
« Reply #2 on: 04:22 PM - 06/14/16 »
At a very low budget your probably better off making something your self.  Might not be pretty but it will save you some money.  You could also try rocking a sony Nav instead to free up the need for a base for the keyboard and or Tartarus. 

Get two milk crates and put some small boards on top.  Have your Tartarus on one side and mouse pad on the other.  Gives you open space if you need to get up as well.

Also a picture wouldn't hurt to see some of your constraints as you mentioned. I'm having a hard time visualizing this with a beanbag chair but hey each to their own setup I guess.

I would personally go with a desk set up.  Here is a pic of my set up

Offline Manjerico

• I am Jack's smirking revenge
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • PSN ID: Manj3r1c0
« Reply #3 on: 08:44 AM - 06/15/16 »
*Nitpicks at FortyOne's sweet setup*

Dude... I think you need a better chair...  ;D :P

Xbox One: Phew... Phew... Phew...
PS4:BAANG!!
Outcome: Xbox One is down! Call an ambulance!
"Wii U Wii U Wii U..."
XIM Edge;XIM4|Logitech G13;G502;MX518|Turtle Beach DSS2|AKG K702|Antlion Modmic 4.0|Bravo Audio V3|Asus VX279h|

Offline 2pumpchump

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Dinglexberry
« Reply #4 on: 02:34 PM - 06/15/16 »
Thanks for the replies guys! After much thought, I decided that I'll probably just use a portable/foldup desk/table and sit on the edge of my bed rather than the bean bag chair.

Just to appease curiosity of anyone here who may want to see the set up, I'll post a pic when I get home, but the set up I currently have is temporary (when I say "temporary", I really mean there's a good chance it'll stay that way for about a year if not longer), as I plan on putting a loft (the ceiling is just high enough to do that) throwing the mattress up top and moving the bed to another room (bed won't fit up top). That will open up the entire bottom so I can have a larger set up.

In the meantime, this set up should do. The tartarus should arrive tomorrow - I'll test it out then and let you know how it goes.

I'm just surprised that I couldn't find a cheap, simple chair that has a fold-out tray for mouse and keyboard.

Offline FortyOne

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Forty0ne
  • PSN ID: Forty_One
« Reply #5 on: 09:10 PM - 06/17/16 »
*Nitpicks at FortyOne's sweet setup*

Dude... I think you need a better chair...  ;D :P

Next on list of stuff to buy.  But you know how it goes when you start to accumulate stuff.  Also need to put hardwood in there too.  Also want an audio interface with studio mic and mount.
Thanks for the replies guys! After much thought, I decided that I'll probably just use a portable/foldup desk/table and sit on the edge of my bed rather than the bean bag chair.

Just to appease curiosity of anyone here who may want to see the set up, I'll post a pic when I get home, but the set up I currently have is temporary (when I say "temporary", I really mean there's a good chance it'll stay that way for about a year if not longer), as I plan on putting a loft (the ceiling is just high enough to do that) throwing the mattress up top and moving the bed to another room (bed won't fit up top). That will open up the entire bottom so I can have a larger set up.

In the meantime, this set up should do. The tartarus should arrive tomorrow - I'll test it out then and let you know how it goes.

I'm just surprised that I couldn't find a cheap, simple chair that has a fold-out tray for mouse and keyboard.

I would love too give more advise but it's kinda hard to visualize with what's your working with.  Also still recommend picking up a Sony nav to test out to see if you like it.  Sony nav frees up a lot of space that is usually used by a keyboard.

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pfoiffee
« Reply #6 on: 09:57 PM - 06/17/16 »
I don't know if it'll help, but... maybe check out The Official XIM "Post Your Setup Pics" Thread if you want some ideas to improve your battle station.

-My Setup-

- XIM3 | Xbox360 Pro 120GB
- XIM4 | XboxOne 1TB (Halo 5 LE Console)
- BenQ G2420HD Monitor (24"/1920x1080/2ms GTG) | *New Logitech G933 Gaming Headset | Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers
- Razer Orbweaver Gaming Keypad | Logitech G310 Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G700/s Wireless Gaming Mouse

Admin