XIM Community

FEATURE REQUEST: Add option to toggle "Walk" keyboard function on XIM.  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Pfoiffee
In the config settings, we can bind a key to (when held) make us "walk", so to speak.

Now, could we have the option to set this walk speed as default, and bind a key to make us "run" instead? Having a "hold/toggle" option would be fantastic as well toggle walk? I think there would need to be some minor adjustments to player speed in custom game mode options to make this more effective, but this isn't much of a problem.

The reason I bring this up is mainly because I'm fed up with how sprinting mechanics behave in arena shooters these days (sacrificing shooting guns for faster movement)... the biggest offender (I believe) is Halo. I can see this being an excellent feature, allowing us to switch between slow and fast movement on shooters with arena gameplay (Doom, Halo etc.) especially when using keyboard-type peripherals.
« Last Edit: 10:01 PM - 06/01/16 by Pfeuff »

-My Setup-

- XIM3 | Xbox360 Pro 120GB
- XIM4 | XboxOne 1TB (Halo 5 LE Console)
- BenQ G2420HD Monitor (24"/1920x1080/2ms GTG) | *New Logitech G933 Gaming Headset | Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers
- Razer Orbweaver Gaming Keypad | Logitech G310 Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G700/s Wireless Gaming Mouse

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Wouldn't that mean not having the default middle speed?

Hold / Toggle to Run is already possible, as is Hold to Walk. But move "normally" is not bindable to anything if you over-ride that speed with Walk.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
Wouldn't that mean not having the default middle speed?
The "middle" speed would be the pseudo top-speed, then toggle/hold key to switch between middle and actual top-speed.

Hold / Toggle to Run is already possible
Not talking about in-game sprint mechanics...

as is Hold to Walk
I'm aware that "hold to Walk" is possible...

But move "normally" is not bindable to anything if you over-ride that speed with Walk.
Not sure where you're going with that last sentence, but going back to the whole point of this discussion... think of the existing "walk" bind as being inverted. What I desire is a sprint action that behaves much like how was back on the original Doom, because Gameplay > Immersion.
« Last Edit: 09:59 PM - 06/01/16 by Pfeuff »

-My Setup-

- BenQ G2420HD Monitor (24"/1920x1080/2ms GTG) | *New Logitech G933 Gaming Headset | Logitech Z906 5.1 speakers
- Razer Orbweaver Gaming Keypad | Logitech G310 Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G700/s Wireless Gaming Mouse

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Nup, sorry, I don't get what you're saying at all. We can hold / toggle sprint in Xim4 config options. Setup a sub-config for Sprint, set it to the Sprint button and set it to Toggle, if wanted. Check RML's Destiny config for an example.

You can use a Titan One to setup auto-sprint. Auto-walk? That sounds like the opposite of usable.
« Last Edit: 12:24 AM - 06/01/16 by antithesis »

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
Ok, put aside the games sprint action because this has nothing to do with it. What I mean is to essentially throttle the base movement speed to what XIM makes it when holding the key you assign to "Walk" in the Keyboard menu. Then instead of "Walk" have "Run", so you bind a key to hold/toggle top speed on base movement.

-My Setup-

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Then instead of "Walk" have "Run", so you bind a key to hold/toggle top speed on base movement.

Walk works by simply throttling the "normal" movement speed by 50%, ergo can be applied globally to any game. The Xim can't boost speed above the pegged 100% "normal" movement speed, it can only process 100% speed or less, which is normal movement down to walking.

Also, the Sprint key is game-dependent, so I don't know that it could be created as a global config option on Xim. It takes zero effort to setup a Sprint bind in a Xim config and we can Hold / Toggle to Sprint already, so this seems kinda redundant, if not impossible, because as mentioned, Sprint varies from game to game and Xim can't auto-boost beyond 100% "normal" speed.

If you want auto-sprint, bang a Titan One into your setup. I know piiwii uses auto-sprint in his games.

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
I'm not saying "try to boost normal speed above what the game allows" because I already know that's impossible... I'm saying have an option to throttle base movement to 50% by default, and then bind a key (hold/toggle) to enable 100% base movement. Think of it as sprint but without the animation that stops you firing your gun. This would be intended for certain modes that don't utilize the in-game sprint action to still have two movement speeds.

-My Setup-

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Ok, I understand the mechanics now, but I'm failing to see the practicality.

Won't you simply be holding down "run" most of the time when you could simply be holding down "walk" occasionally to fulfil the same objective?

I don't mean to be obtuse, I just fail to see how this is in any way better than what we already have given 99.9% of the time you're not walking. In which case, you're now holding another key for "normal" movement, which eats another key binding and a finger to move at the speed we already move at most of the time.
« Last Edit: 02:20 AM - 06/01/16 by antithesis »

Offline Pfeuff

• View Profile
Well I won't blame you for not seeing the practicality... but at least have a toggle option for the walk function. Having only "Hold to walk" just isn't good enough.
« Last Edit: 10:00 PM - 06/01/16 by Pfeuff »

-My Setup-

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Well I won't blame you for not seeing the practicality... but at least have a toggle option for the walk function. Having only "Hold to walk" just isn't good enough.

Now that makes more sense. Same sh!t, much simpler bucket :)