XIM Community

R.I.P. Call of Duty - was nice knowing you  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
R.I.P. Call of Duty - was nice knowing you
« on: 04:55 PM - 03/02/10 »
For those that don't know, CoD as we know it - is dead.

http://kotaku.com/5484046/infinity-ward-vs-activision-the-battle-for-creative-direction

http://kotaku.com/5484026/activisions-new-plans-for-call-of-duty-include-new-developer-new-genres

http://kotaku.com/5483492/scandal-hits-call-of-duty-devs-what-we-know-[update]?skyline=true&s=i

Personally?  I feel WAW is the best COD multiplayer game and I feel MW1 is the best single player COD game.  MW2 was the beginning of the decline, imo.

The good news from all of this, however, is that the head people from IW will finally get to work on that Halo Killer they've been wanting to do for a while :)

In the meantime, get ready for all sorts of Call of Duty games that have nothing to do with FPS or Call of Duty... and get ready for @#$% COD games that aren't made by the people who know anything about COD.

Offline evm

• View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Call of Duty - was nice knowing you
« Reply #1 on: 05:57 PM - 03/02/10 »
That sucks, looks like I won't be playing video games anymore.  MW is the best looking FPS on console.   What is everyone going to do when games all have look acceleration in them and don't play like MW.  MW was the only reason I bought an XIM.  I never played Halo with an XIM but all other games played with XIM are trash.    

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:59 PM - 03/02/10 »
im still reeling over the loss of Unreal
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
« Reply #3 on: 06:30 PM - 03/02/10 »
<<MW is the best looking FPS on console.>>

Methinks you haven't seen nor played Killzone 2.  While not a XIM favorite, I found a config that worked well and, I have to say, played the hell out of that game.  Absolutely absurd how well integrated the environmental effects were with the lighting, particle effects, etc.  And the character models were great as well. 

Definitely not a rail shooter like any of the COD recent games, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

Oh yeah - and @#$% pretty.  The video below was from multiplayer, not the single player campaign which had a bit more detail.  Not much though, imho.  Both were eye candy....

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/desecration-trailer-killzone-2/39764?type=flv

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Offline evm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:41 PM - 03/02/10 »
KZ was an ok game, certainly no where near the caliber game of MW.  I played KZ for a bit then dropped it like a bad habit, no substance.  Killing people was corny with that 1980s blip you heard when they died.  The player animations in KZ looked corny too. 

I would like to say there is something out there more appealing to me than MW but there is not. 

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:37 PM - 03/02/10 »
<<KZ was an ok game, certainly no where near the caliber game of MW.>>

I tried to make it plain that I agree the games are apples and oranges -- KZ2 was a very divisive game, but one that I truly enjoyed.  And I totally understand why it wasn't up your alley. 

Again, from a graphical standpoint which is the statement I initially addressed, there is no comparison.  MW2 doesn't match up.

And even though I don't have a 360, I hope that the new HALO sets an even higher bar, if only to push the Sony Dev's that much harder in their future efforts. 

That way, in the end as gamers, we win.  Simple as that....

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #6 on: 07:57 PM - 03/02/10 »
The interesting thing about this whole deal is that Activision has had Guitar Hero go down a similar path.  Trusting in the general intelligence of the human species, I would assume that this decision was deliberated by more than one person, and that Activision learned from past mistakes.  However, I simply cannot come up with any other reason that they would do this other than to maximize brand awareness and milk it until its dry.  If that is the case, we will probably see less and less originality and ingenuity in future CoD games.  However, there is always a chance that this could turn out well for us consumers.  I'm reserving judgment.  
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline jezthevalley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:45 PM - 03/02/10 »
probably a call of duty game(red alert style), lol it sucks that i don't even wanna think bout it.

chances are, we'll never see Price and Ghost again :(

Offline lbivlife

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:01 PM - 03/02/10 »
thats definitely @#$%, but there will still be great games coming from the IW devs, even though they will no longer be the cod series.
Gamertag: LBIVLIFE
Games: MW2, Halo 3, COD4, L4D2

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:31 PM - 03/02/10 »
Yeah, I wonder since the IW big dog has left who'll go with him and what they'll put together?  And, from the group the stays, what they'll do next. 

Should make interesting interwebs though...

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:35 PM - 03/02/10 »
I read that a week or so ago that IW was passing the COD torch to another company. They were going to try something new anyway.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #11 on: 11:25 PM - 03/02/10 »
They have wanted to for a while.

They didn't want other companies making cod games. Activision said tough luck but they comprmised by guarenteeing iw that no one would make modern day cod titles back in 2009.

I'm guessing Activision wants to make a CoD mmo of sorts, rts or something and iw said no way. Activision pushed back and iw said over our dead bodies and that is what happened. Activision owns cod.

Offline UnrealChrisG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:20 AM - 03/03/10 »
Yeah, CoD does seems like its going to be dead... MW 2 sucks, and I feel that its only going to get worse.

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12:24 PM - 03/03/10 »
Yet IW did make transformers 2, which for anyone who has played it, is actually a great game. Although they will not be making the third one :/

Offline Boddiebagger

• MVP
  • The Original KWAK'er
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:42 PM - 03/04/10 »
Update...

http://kotaku.com/5485703/ousted-infinity-ward-founders-lawsuit-against-activision-[the-court-documents]/gallery/

Those heartless.... God I wanna hurt people now!

What boddiebagger calls losing a gun fight means, killing the opposing team 3 times over and dying once.

Admin