XIM Community

Which option is better? Wireless Repeater or Wireless Bridge?  (Read 668 times)

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
So I have two routers and wanna set up the second router to extend my home network. The main router which is upstairs gives me poor wireless signals  on my devices when I'm downstairs. What I wanna do is set up the second router as an additional access point to my home network. I'm not sure what is the best way to set it up as, either a repeater or bridge. I also wanna be able to have some devices [ Xbox, WiiU, second PS4 , and my smartTV ] wired to that second router. So my question is which of the two is the best option to achieve what I want? Lastly my ISP provider's modem/router combo is set up to bridge mode as I can't really have it as a "modem" only unfortunately. So I don't know if it'll have any impact on the setup. As always, looking for suggestions from the y'all. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

XiM3R since ever since.

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
I use these things buddy, They work well and I haven't had any problem with them.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
I use these things buddy, They work well and I haven't had any problem with them.

Aware of this but I wanna make use of the router. Wouldn't want it to go to waste you know. ;)

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline tails72

• MVP
    • View Profile
You could use both. The adapter to get the connection downstairs then plug your router into it for wifi

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
I use a roaming wireless network. A roaming network apparently has the least overhead and greatest throughput.

A couple of routers at opposite ends of the house are connected to my NetDuma over ethernet and setup in bridged mode. All share the same wireless SSID, Security and Passphrase. In my case I'm using an Airport Express and Airport Extreme, with both set to "Create a wireless network" rather than "Extend a wireless network".

Wireless is used for iPhones, iPads, handheld consoles and laptops. However, wherever performance or throughput counts (workstation, gaming rig, consoles, streaming media), it's ethernet all the way.

My suggestion would be if you can't run ethernet between the routers, use EoP to connect the two, bridge the second router and setup a roaming wireless network. Your devices will connect to the closest or strongest Wifi signal, depending on their location in the house.
« Last Edit: 04:16 AM - 04/26/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin