XIM Community

ability to have both Xbox One and PS4 controller plugged into a hub into XIM  (Read 2497 times)

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
The TitanOne and ChronusMax Support this, it would be nice to be able to have both controllers plugged in so that you could switch consoles more easily.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I'm unclear how they support this since you can't tell which console you are connected to (unless you use fragile heuristics that watch for USB packet patterns that could change).
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
I'm unclear how they support this since you can't tell which console you are connected to (unless you use fragile heuristics that watch for USB packet patterns that could change).

completely understand,
you could do it one level simpler and just go off which console is selected for the Config, since that is bound to a console.
« Last Edit: 04:24 PM - 04/17/16 by abc123 »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
A USB switch rather than hub might do the job.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
There is a pretty complicated initialization/handshake that happens when you connect to a console. You are saying that you'd use the console of the startup Config.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
There is a pretty complicated initialization/handshake that happens when you connect to a console. You are saying that you'd use the console of the startup Config.

Good point. You'd need to move either PS4 or XB1 configs into the first slot to tell the Xim4 which protocol to initiate. That sounds more troublesome than simply swapping the controller.

I'll try plugging the PS4 and XB1 controllers into a switch to see if it works and report back.

[Update] I'm gonna go with a categorical "No". It doesn't work with either a USB switch or a USB hub.

The Xim doesn't seem to know which controller to handshake with when both are connected concurrently via a USB hub and neither are plugged straight into the Xim.

The Xim also dislikes it when a controller is connected via a USB switch instead of the Xim and won't initialise the controller, kb or m.

I did have some success on XB1 by plugging the XB1 controller into a USB hub while the PS4 controller is connected to the Xim. The controller does work on XB1, but kb/m doesn't, and switching to the PS4 doesn't work at all.

Plugging an XB1 controller into a hub and DS4 into the Xim before booting the PS4 does work, so cross-controller stuff is fine, but you can't use the Xim on XB1 in this configuration.

Long story short - a console's controller MUST be plugged directly into the Xim for Xim to work properly, at least how the Xim currently functions, because it needs to know which protocol to use. The easiest solution is to leave the micro-USB cable plugged into the Xim and swap between XB1 and PS4 controllers.

Aside from that, the Xim's really flexible when it comes to how peripherals are connected by both USB switches and hubs. It's not even fussy about which port the controller's plugged into - mine's in Port 2. But the controller seemingly must be plugged in direct.
« Last Edit: 04:01 PM - 04/18/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin