XIM Community

New analog keyboard might make me switch from the Nav chuck  (Read 3923 times)

Offline thegurujim

• View Profile

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Thanks for the forward -- what sorts of things would you want to do with the analog function (how would you like to map analog keys in-game)?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline sss802

• View Profile
From what i see it allows you to use the wasd keys and move like a joystick or controller with the keyboard like circular or lateral movements better.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Hmm, I'm not sure how that would work (movement). Do you mean you could move more than 8 directions with hardware like this?

Offline sss802

• View Profile
this is what their saying

Analog, however, works differently. Analog means you can send multiple or variable inputs to the PC with a single button. This is very similar to pressing down a trigger button- or joystick (A.k.a thumbstick, analog stick) towards any angle on a controller, it will send different signals based on how far down you’ve pressed it.

The Wooting one can read exactly how far down you’ve pressed a key for analog input. As you can see from the animation above, the further down you press a key, the stronger the signal gets from 0 to 100%.

For gaming, analog input has one very obvious application; you can control your movement speed and turns with the WASD similar to a joystick. Something that has been lacking in PC games for a long time.

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm sure the drivers on this will be fun.
BFH

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
you can control your movement speed and turns with the WASD similar to a joystick.

+1 Always wanted more control with WASD.  The walk feature on the XIM helped but it needs to be configurable. It's too slow for me.
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline thegurujim

• View Profile
I assume the analog translation would really only be used for WASD movement.  I'm not sure what good it'd be for any other keys unless it's movement related.  All other functions like reloading, switching weapons might be nice to have on a hair trigger but at the same time it might not be depending on activation pressure might be too sensitive for things like that.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
So, the pressure you apply to each direction dictates the deflection the stick would have in that direction? So 50% on W would be like stick half way up and 10% on S would like like stick 1/10 to the right. Together it was be a slight diagonal to the upper-right?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
No, it can't right now, but, are you sure this works well?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: New analog keyboard might make me switch from the Nav chuck
« Reply #10 on: 11:32 AM - 05/20/16 »
Well, the difference with controllers is that you have an analog stick -- it's positional. In this case, I believe you are saying you'd use WADS for the same purpose and you'd you control direction and velocity by various degrees of pressure on each of those buttons. I really doubt most people would like that method of control. But, I could be wrong -- I would be interested in hearing about feedback using something like when on a PC shooter.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:07 AM - 05/22/16 »
I don't see why anyone wouldn't like it.  As I mentioned above I would.  The 'walk'  function you have now isn't very good and I get screwed often when playing corners because a simple tap of W or D puts me too far out of cover sometimes.

While in most cases I may end up just pressing WASD full throttle it would be nice to have granularity when needed without having to use another key that's a half baked walk mechanism.

No offense intended.
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline PegasusActual

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:56 PM - 05/22/16 »
I could see this being useful for some games, especially for creeping corners in R6: Siege. I also agree the walk function is a little underbaked, usually it's way too slow, though my biggest problem is that I'm out of buttons for it. I usually just crouch for a makeshift walk speed.

I don't think I would bother with this device though, as I don't want or need a full sized keyboard for XIM.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #13 on: 08:57 PM - 05/22/16 »
Well, the difference with controllers is that you have an analog stick -- it's positional. In this case, I believe you are saying you'd use WADS for the same purpose and you'd you control direction and velocity by various degrees of pressure on each of those buttons. I really doubt most people would like that method of control. But, I could be wrong -- I would be interested in hearing about feedback using something like when on a PC shooter.

Granular control over strafing would be fantastic. I'd rather sneak out a touch than leap into broad daylight.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Morgs91

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Morgs91
« Reply #14 on: 12:08 PM - 06/20/16 »
I'm lookin at getting one of these, is there an idea that this would be supported by the xim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admin