XIM Community

Use same keyboard/mouse for computer and xbox  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Re: Use same keyboard/mouse for computer and xbox
« Reply #15 on: 02:57 PM - 02/15/10 »
OBSIV:  My quesetion to you is about the USB switch.  When using a USB switch, it basically cuts off one device when  you switch it.  I.e. XBOX won't have access to the XIM 3 when I switch it over to PC.  PC won't have access to it when I switch it to the XBOX.  Does that mean I'm ogoing to get a "please reconnect your controller" notification when I switch to my PC?  Perhaps someone else that's already using a USB switch can askwer that as well.

I would imagine that would happen, and then depending on how the XIM3 is interacting with the Xbox and the controller you might run into other issues. Guess that will be something to test out, seeing how the controller reacts to being connected/disconnected while in use.

Of course if the switch is before the adapter (mouse keyboard into switch, switch to XIM3 and computer), the adapter would likely retain it's connection because that's still hooked up and the controller is still plugged into the XIM3.

All speculation on my part just based on what I've seen.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #16 on: 03:12 PM - 02/15/10 »
So now I've got a desk in the middle of my living room.

If that were the case, I'd say I've failed as well. :)

OBSIV:  Does that mean I'm ogoing to get a "please reconnect your controller" notification when I switch to my PC?

No, XIM3 will maintain the connection as long as the conroller is plugged into it.

Sorry for the typos.  The scroll bar keeps jumping up when I'm typing to about halfway up the text. 

Are you using IE8 on Win7? If so, you need to hit the Compatibility button, I've found.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03:51 PM - 02/15/10 »
Are you using IE8 on Win7? If so, you need to hit the Compatibility button, I've found.

Windows XP on a work machine that is locked down so I can't make any changes anyway.  At home it doesn't do it.  I don't know how they have these things configured.  I do know that this is one of the few web forums that isn't locked down completely.

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03:51 PM - 02/15/10 »
I think that what Paulrules wants could be achieved by a suggestion that steveslayer made the other day....that is using a mouse attatched to xim3 in the right hand so as to benefit from the smart mouse profiles.....instead of having your left hand periferal keyboard or whatever plugged into xim3 have that attatched to a pc running xim2 and then have your xim2 plugged into your xim3 as the wired controller. So xim3's keyboard usb port would be unoccupied....so assuming that xim 2 will work like this and that the xim2 or for that matter any wired controller attached to the xim3 for verification could also act as an ingame controller then this would work...people could make aim toggle macros provided they were able to migrate to a left handed aim. I would be grateful if OBsIV could comment as to whether this setup would work?

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03:58 PM - 02/15/10 »
I think that what Paulrules wants could be achieved by a suggestion that steveslayer made the other day....that is using a mouse attatched to xim3 in the right hand so as to benefit from the smart mouse profiles.....instead of having your left hand periferal keyboard or whatever plugged into xim3 have that attatched to a pc running xim2 and then have your xim2 plugged into your xim3 as the wired controller. So xim3's keyboard usb port would be unoccupied....so assuming that xim 2 will work like this and that the xim2 or for that matter any wired controller attached to the xim3 for verification could also act as an ingame controller then this would work...people could make aim toggle macros provided they were able to migrate to a left handed aim. I would be grateful if OBsIV could comment as to whether this setup would work?

Actually no. I'd just like to have a more streamlined setup that doesn't cost $30+ to get working. Plus I don't know if my keyboard will work because the left side is recognized as media keys without drivers installed. So I'm looking at about $100(Hopeful Xim3 price) + 40 (Controller) + 30 (Switch) + 65 (New gaming keyboard, give or take). 235 isn't something I'm looking forward to spending for a XIM3. This isn't counting how much money I would probably make from selling my XIM2, but still.

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04:02 PM - 02/15/10 »
Forgive me if I'm being dense but if you ran your keyboard via your pc and into xim2 and then onto xim3 then you would be able to install your drivers and so not need to replace your keyboard? or am I not understanding your point? (you'd save $40 on a controller and $65 on a new keyboard....but you're right...it wouldn't be a very streamlined set up)
« Last Edit: 04:30 PM - 02/15/10 by technogiant »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05:29 PM - 02/15/10 »
Plus I don't know if my keyboard will work because the left side is recognized as media keys without drivers installed.

Obsiv did say that he working on making many peripherals compatible, and the g13 was high on his list. If he can get the g13 working without windows than its hard to imagine a device he couldn't make compatible with xim3.

Anyway my opinion is if it's going to add to the price of xim3, create an opportunity for compatibility issues, and be implemented this late in the project than it's not worth it. Yes it would be much easier if this feature was built in and optional, but I have no problem spending thirty dollars on a usb switch.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08:00 PM - 02/15/10 »
So keyboard/mouse drivers are going to be already programmed into the xim and it will detect which ones I'm using when I plug them in?  What about ps/2 keyboard support?  Some people still use them I imagine.  What about support for new mice/keyboards?  Will firmware upgrades for future product support be made available? Seems like a tedious task to keep up with all the new hardware and have to add drivers to the firmware so often. 

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09:12 PM - 02/15/10 »
So keyboard/mouse drivers are going to be already programmed into the xim and it will detect which ones I'm using when I plug them in?  What about ps/2 keyboard support?  Some people still use them I imagine.  What about support for new mice/keyboards?  Will firmware upgrades for future product support be made available? Seems like a tedious task to keep up with all the new hardware and have to add drivers to the firmware so often. 

I think from what I've read he's not focusing so much on the specific mice/keyboards as much as making it compliant with standard interface protocols so that most devices that fit that protocol will work.

Then he's going above and beyond by also making more specific and advanced devices work as well such as the G13.

I'm sure upon release there will be a "officially supported device" list, if anything outside that lists works, great, if it doesn't, well it wasn't supposed to anyway lol

Admin