XIM Community

Use same keyboard/mouse for computer and xbox  (Read 4572 times)

Offline leetlamer

• View Profile
Use same keyboard/mouse for computer and xbox
« on: 02:18 PM - 02/14/10 »
Will the XIM3 allow you to use the same keyboard and mouse for the Xbox and your computer?

I plug my Xbox into my computer monitor, and I can just use the same keyboard and mouse. It would be annoying to have to unplug the keyboard and mouse from my computer and plug it into the XIM3 every time I wanted to switch from using the computer to using the Xbox.

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Use same keyboard/mouse for computer and xbox
« Reply #1 on: 02:25 PM - 02/14/10 »
It hasn't been announced but it is assumed the answer is no. There are a few people including myself that will be purchasing usb switch to accomplish this.
« Last Edit: 03:40 PM - 02/14/10 by mist4fun »
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 03:09 PM - 02/14/10 »
A USB peripheral can only be plugged into a single host at a time. That's why you'll need a USB switch to switch between a connection to your PC and your XIM.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:21 PM - 02/14/10 »
I added this question to Juncti's stickied FAQ. 

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:43 AM - 02/15/10 »
A USB peripheral can only be plugged into a single host at a time. That's why you'll need a USB switch to switch between a connection to your PC and your XIM.

I realize that it is a case of protecting the XIM3 from people stealing the technology, but will it really be that hard to use the PC as a simple pass through for mouse/keyboard commands? No algorithms at all on the PC, protecting your IP. There seems to be a sizable demand for it, and you said if there was a demand for it then it will be added to the "list."

At least 50% of the people who bought a XIM2 are going to buy a XIM3, and most of them have their Xboxs next to their computers, meaning that they would have to spend an additional $30+ (Hoping that the one that I found works) to get the XIM3 running without having to buy a whole new m/kb set.

I'm "fine" with using the switch, but to be honest I don't see the issue with using the PC if it's just a pass through and there is a demand for it. I'm not a dev, so I wouldn't know.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 11:25 AM - 02/15/10 »
I'm "fine" with using the switch, but to be honest I don't see the issue with using the PC if it's just a pass through and there is a demand for it. I'm not a dev, so I wouldn't know.

How? What exactly is a PC-passthrough? Even if I did provide a mode like this, you can still only have your XIM plug into a single host. This isn't a XIM limitation, this is a USB "limitation". You still, physically, need to unplug it from your Xbox and plug it into your PC.

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:56 AM - 02/15/10 »

How? What exactly is a PC-passthrough? Even if I did provide a mode like this, you can still only have your XIM plug into a single host. This isn't a XIM limitation, this is a USB "limitation". You still, physically, need to unplug it from your Xbox and plug it into your PC.

A PC-passthrough as in a user can start a program that sends all mouse/keyboard commands raw to the XIM3. So the setup would be Mouse/kb->PC->XIM3->360. It would help other users who have a XIM2 get a XIM3 without too many additional costs.

Offline jumpman21

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Leonard Dollars
« Reply #7 on: 12:46 PM - 02/15/10 »

A PC-passthrough as in a user can start a program that sends all mouse/keyboard commands raw to the XIM3. So the setup would be Mouse/kb->PC->XIM3->360. It would help other users who have a XIM2 get a XIM3 without too many additional costs.
Why would he do this? Just stick with xim 2.
Lurker since Xim 1
Xim 3 Owner since 12/2011

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:57 PM - 02/15/10 »
I want smart profiles, otherwise I would just stick with the XIM2.

And he would do this because there are people wanting this to be done. If enough people want it and it isn't impossible, it has a higher chance of it being added to the list of priorities.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01:01 PM - 02/15/10 »
Something tells me this would just reopen the can of worms with compatibility, drivers, MS Signing, and all those other things that seem to creep up in the wild.

I'm thinking he wants to keep it closed, tight, and simple. This is intended for mass audience.

Offline jumpman21

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Leonard Dollars
« Reply #10 on: 01:24 PM - 02/15/10 »
I want smart profiles, otherwise I would just stick with the XIM2.

And he would do this because there are people wanting this to be done. If enough people want it and it isn't impossible, it has a higher chance of it being added to the list of priorities.
I'm sure plenty of people want toggle AIm down sight as an option in the Cod smart profile but that's probably not gonna happen either.
Lurker since Xim 1
Xim 3 Owner since 12/2011

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 01:31 PM - 02/15/10 »
Mouse/kb->PC->XIM3->360. It would help other users who have a XIM2 get a XIM3 without too many additional costs.

PC->XIM3: You've just significantly incresed the cost of XIM3 to support this scenario. XIM3 has exactly 1 "peripheral-side" port (to talk to the Xbox, or PC for firmware updates). You are asking for a second port for something I'm not convinced most gamers will care about. Ultimately, I fail if the only way to game with XIM3 is sitting up at a desk like a PC. You need to be able to game comfortably anywhere a controller player can game.

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01:46 PM - 02/15/10 »
Mouse/kb->PC->XIM3->360. It would help other users who have a XIM2 get a XIM3 without too many additional costs.

PC->XIM3: You've just significantly incresed the cost of XIM3 to support this scenario. XIM3 has exactly 1 "peripheral-side" port (to talk to the Xbox, or PC for firmware updates). You are asking for a second port for something I'm not convinced most gamers will care about. Ultimately, I fail if the only way to game with XIM3 is sitting up at a desk like a PC. You need to be able to game comfortably anywhere a controller player can game.

Does it really need an extra port? Can't it just use a port that is already on the XIM board?

And if anyone would like this feature on the XIM3, say so. Thanks for the consideration at least.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 01:54 PM - 02/15/10 »
Does it really need an extra port? Can't it just use a port that is already on the XIM board?

Electrically, it cannot. That's not how USB devices work (which is why there are different connectors on either end of a USB cable).

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02:06 PM - 02/15/10 »
Ultimately, I fail if the only way to game with XIM3 is sitting up at a desk like a PC. You need to be able to game comfortably anywhere a controller player can game.

I don't understand.  We're still going to have a keyboard and mouse.  Unless I'm putting them on the ground and sitting indian style, I'm still going to need a desk if I want to play in my living room.  So now I've got a desk in the middle of my living room.  Another desk, because I'm not going to take everything off of my PC desk and move it into the living room every time I want to play.  So I'll have to buy a new desk and then convince my GF that we need a desk in the middle of the living room.  Now you've just added at least 75 bux to the cost to get XIM 3 up and running.  Plus the 100 dollars worth of flowers and gifts for my GF to soften the blow about having the desk in the middle of the living room that she keeps stubbing her toes on.  

Many of you remember that with XIM 1 / sjf combo, you had to have a separate mouse and keyboard.  I literally had 2 keyboards and 2 mice on my computer desk that I had to move around.  I thought "man I'd like to be able to use the same mouse and keyboard for both".  On the original XBOX, SJF was a pain because I didn't have a VGA adapter for the original XBOX for quite some time . When I finally got one, it was better to game with.  Still quite a hassle.  Anyway, when XBOX 360 came up and you could hook it up with the VGA cable, that was awesome to me.  I, unlike some people, WANTED to game on my PC monitor.  It's not super huge, 24".  I could see why some people would rather game on their 65" DLP screens than on their 13" pc monitors.  

Point is,  XIm 3 we now have a CHOICE.  We don't have to take our PC with us or even our laptop as some of you already do with XIM 2.  If you need a table or if you don't, once you're setup, you should be good to go.  Set up a gaming shrine that nobody is allowed to touch but you.  

I personally thought XIM 2 was leaps and bounds ahead of XIM 1 because I could now use the same keyboard and mouse on the same machine.  When playing XIM 2, I often switch my monitor back to my PC whil eI'm waiting for Halo 3 games ot load or whatever.  Just something to pass the time really.  

OBSIV:  My quesetion to you is about the USB switch.  When using a USB switch, it basically cuts off one device when  you switch it.  I.e. XBOX won't have access to the XIM 3 when I switch it over to PC.  PC won't have access to it when I switch it to the XBOX.  Does that mean I'm ogoing to get a "please reconnect your controller" notification when I switch to my PC?  Perhaps someone else that's already using a USB switch can askwer that as well.

Sorry for the typos.  The scroll bar keeps jumping up when I'm typing to about halfway up the text.  Can I make this thing bigger or what. 

Admin