XIM Community

I need a KVM Switch...  (Read 1663 times)

Offline PeakForNothing

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ExcellentJustin
I need a KVM Switch...
« on: 10:10 AM - 02/26/16 »
I am looking for a good KVM switch that's not too expensive and will not produce noticeable latency. Any recommended ones???

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: I need a KVM Switch...
« Reply #1 on: 08:18 PM - 02/26/16 »
IOGear 2x4 or 4x4 USB switch + ViewHD HDMI switch is a recommended solution and all are available on Amazon.

Both IOGear USB switches have an optional 5V USB charge port on the front, which helps if you find your Xim or connected devices draw too much power.

There's also a cheap IOGear 2-port KVM on Amazon - use the USB ports and ignore the VGA.

None will produce noticeable lag.
« Last Edit: 08:23 PM - 02/26/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline PeakForNothing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05:12 PM - 02/27/16 »
IOGear 2x4 or 4x4 USB switch + ViewHD HDMI switch is a recommended solution and all are available on Amazon.

Both IOGear USB switches have an optional 5V USB charge port on the front, which helps if you find your Xim or connected devices draw too much power.

There's also a cheap IOGear 2-port KVM on Amazon - use the USB ports and ignore the VGA.

So my XIM won't have any lag from this? I just want to clarify that we are talking about using on XIM and not for other uses.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 05:55 PM - 02/27/16 »
So my XIM won't have any lag from this? I just want to clarify that we are talking about using on XIM and not for other uses.

If there is lag, it's so low that you won't notice. And yes, I'm talking about Xim.

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline PeakForNothing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:39 PM - 02/27/16 »

If there is lag, it's so low that you won't notice. And yes, I'm talking about Xim.

Alrighty! Sweet thanks a ton!

Offline nobodyfamous

• MVP
  • nerd with muscles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:25 AM - 02/29/16 »

how do you connect these? i need one also running out of room on my desk these days ... wouldnt my xim turn off if i switch mid game ???

also ... do i get the USB 3.0 or the USB 2.0

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00Y3CTEG2?colid=209NB8DILGUS6&coliid=IHMC18WKBX2X0&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

or

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001D1UTC4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=209NB8DILGUS6&coliid=IRVBT8J7AY6MD

?????
« Last Edit: 01:52 AM - 02/29/16 by nobodyfamous »
"If steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are illegal for athletes,
doesn't that mean you're cheating in eSports and should be banned ?"

Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 / Sennheiser HD598
BenQ RL2460HT / BenQ XL2430T
Logitech G303 / CM Quickfire Stealth (Reds)
Rode Procaster / Rode PSA1
Roland Quad-Capture / Adam F5's / Adam F8Sub

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 02:42 AM - 02/29/16 »
how do you connect these? i need one also running out of room on my desk these days ... wouldnt my xim turn off if i switch mid game ???

Depends what you're trying to do. See http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=45352.msg550127#msg550127

Enable USB hot swapping in the Xim 4 global settings.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00Y3CTEG2?colid=209NB8DILGUS6&coliid=IHMC18WKBX2X0&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

or

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001D1UTC4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=209NB8DILGUS6&coliid=IRVBT8J7AY6MD

?????

USB 2.0.

Offline ShadowIG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:59 AM - 02/29/16 »

or

?????

i use the second kvm switch brian, been using it for years. the xim wont turn of when you switch, it stays on, but there is a slight delay when switching

Offline nobodyfamous

• MVP
  • nerd with muscles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:43 PM - 02/29/16 »
i use the second kvm switch brian, been using it for years. the xim wont turn of when you switch, it stays on, but there is a slight delay when switching

awesome thanks ibro.

now

USB 2.0.

Okay brother so this is what i want to do.....

Xbox1/PS4/PC/Astro A40

also how can i make it so that when im not using my consoles... i can have my gaming monitor as an extended montior...

how would all of this work and whats needed for all of this to work LOL
"If steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are illegal for athletes,
doesn't that mean you're cheating in eSports and should be banned ?"

Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 / Sennheiser HD598
BenQ RL2460HT / BenQ XL2430T
Logitech G303 / CM Quickfire Stealth (Reds)
Rode Procaster / Rode PSA1
Roland Quad-Capture / Adam F5's / Adam F8Sub

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 03:11 AM - 03/01/16 »
Okay brother so this is what i want to do.....

Xbox1/PS4/PC/Astro A40

also how can i make it so that when im not using my consoles... i can have my gaming monitor as an extended montior...

how would all of this work and whats needed for all of this to work LOL

You'll need two USB switches -

Mouse-------\                       /------PC                                    /-----XB1
Keyboard----2-port USB switch------Xim4------2-port USB switch-----PS4
                                                       A40-----/

The A40 USB cable will NOT work through the Xim4, so it can't be connected to the first USB switch, which presents a problem if you want to use your cans on PC.

Your best bet is to get a TOSlink switch / matrix and use the optical ports on the XB1, PS4 and PC to share the A40s.

Use a HDMI switch to swap the monitor between consoles and PC.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:38 AM - 03/01/16 »
How is switching these days? Do you still encounter issues that require you to power cycle?
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Y2K

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:43 PM - 03/01/16 »
switch to many time and my pc would stop recognize my mouse and keyboard(about 6 time)and pc need to be restart.
XBOX ONE/PS4 Pro
Netgear r7800 with SQM
Mouse: G403- ceeZa cable with talon grips
keyboard: Leopold FC900R cherry red
Pad: qck+
asus vp28uqg 4k
Game-akgk701/sound blaster x7/modmic

Offline 1llest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03:34 PM - 03/01/16 »

So the 2x4 works with the xim4?
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Peripheral-Sharing-Switch-GUS402/dp/B00BD8I2OY

I wasnt sure since it combines KB+M in one USB input to the xim

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #13 on: 06:29 PM - 03/01/16 »
So the 2x4 works with the xim4?
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Peripheral-Sharing-Switch-GUS402/dp/B00BD8I2OY

I wasnt sure since it combines KB+M in one USB input to the xim

That'll work. I use the 4x4 model without problems. The only thing I need to ensure is my PS4 controller is fully charged, otherwise the Xim4 will power cycle. It doesn't happen on XB1, 360 or PS3, only PS4.

The Xim will detect every compatible device plug into a USB hub or switch, so both kb+m via the one Xim USB port is not a problem.

Offline SE4N

• View Profile