XIM Community

Could we use Falcon gun controller or other similar type PC niche gaming gear?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline fsp48

• Mention XIM if on PSN and want a response
    • View Profile
    • Cost effective fleet and asset tracking
  • PSN ID: PS_C0NV1RT
I have been following this since the early wii on 360 video.  Great work getting this out there and hopefully making a buck or two.  Not to mention letting people play a console however they want.  I am a PC gamer and almost went console with this xim.360.com in mind but ended up tempted by a new ASUS gaming/media laptop.  Getting to my question... I did buy the old XFPS green pos for my brother a few years ago and well, we know how that worked out. Looks like the XIM3 is what we were waiting for all along will be here soon.  

So, can OR will the Falcon haptic gun controller work with this?  If not at first, you may want to talk to Tom Anderson over at Novint because if they have not yet conquered the console I for sure know he was interested in your link I gave him some some months back. That would be pretty cool to use with the 360 because it's just a lot more fun than even a plain old mouse on PC already.  

As an HID device, it kind of blends the two controller styles together but in a much cooler way.  Just figured I'd throw that out there to you as I am into the DIY stuff as well. I just finished updating my FPS gun controller that lets you run and gun with a 22" Pico projected image at the end of the barrel of a heavily modified dollar store toy Uzi.  

My 2007 version of my gun controller that I use to play fps was run on a Triple Head to Go rig using a wiimote on the gun with ir sensor bar on the middle screen for look/aiming with glove pie software. Since recently seeing Jim the redneck techie's small lcd on the gun he made me realize I had it right back then to use the gyro based mouse which worked great for look movement if you could set a screen rotate bounding box to account for the fact the gyro just works but has no information about where the screen you are looking at is.  

I was thinking to make custom gyro mouse drivers when all that was needed was a pico projector or a big light weight screen. Not much to use like that around back then that was cheap enough.  This year the picos are here, still a bit pricey but not out of the question.  My vision was to build a VR style game gun controller to play any FPS with.  The wiimote version could only work on a few due to software and translation with glovepie but now I can run them all.  

I can run the CODMW2 training course in sub 25 seconds with my "one of" prototype now using the more favorable gyration mouse control thanks to the screen moving as one with the gun.  Too much fun... I hope it inspires someone to build their own.  Sorry for the wall of words but a bit of back ground was needed for this last question. I can get a little wordy because I'm just big on the spirit of invention.  

Anyway my unique DIY device should work with the XIM3 right out of the starting gate as it is all based on regular PC mouse (gyration brand) and keyboard right?  Both my gun system and the Falcon would be a lot of fun to play with on the 360. Good Luck on the new device...will be getting it for my brother when it's out.
Sony PS3 Slim 320GB / Lian Li Mini Q PC-V354A MicroATX Gamer
XIM3 w/GTMax Mod / XIM Edge w/DS3 SixAxis
MS X6 / Sony Nav / N52te / G13 / G700 5700 DPI
PS3 3d Display / Sony HMZ-T1 720p 3d OLED HMD / Optoma GT750 3d DLP / Optoma PK-301 LED Pico DLP
Actiontec My Wireless TV  HD Kit
Sony PS3 Wireless Headset / Tritton AX Pro

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
XIM3, out of the box, will support standard mouse, keyboard, and joystick HIDs. If you device maps to those standards, then, it'll work. As far as custom peripherals, it's all about popularity, time, and resources. The G13 is high on my list if it's not a standard HID.

Do you have any pictures of your custom gun controller?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline fsp48

• Mention XIM if on PSN and want a response
    • View Profile
    • Cost effective fleet and asset tracking
  • PSN ID: PS_C0NV1RT
Hey OBsIV, yes I have pics from all the various stages.  I will be uploading some video which is even better.  I will post a link at some point or PM me for a skype demo as I wouldn't mind chatting about the steps you took from concept to market. If someone made this thing already I would have bought one.  I create or modify out of a want or need I guess...not to mention the fun of making something cool.
Sony PS3 Slim 320GB / Lian Li Mini Q PC-V354A MicroATX Gamer
XIM3 w/GTMax Mod / XIM Edge w/DS3 SixAxis
MS X6 / Sony Nav / N52te / G13 / G700 5700 DPI
PS3 3d Display / Sony HMZ-T1 720p 3d OLED HMD / Optoma GT750 3d DLP / Optoma PK-301 LED Pico DLP
Actiontec My Wireless TV  HD Kit
Sony PS3 Wireless Headset / Tritton AX Pro

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure I saw a video of this linked on Engadget at one point.  It's AWESOME.

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
Don't know about his custom setup, but the Falcon he's talking about is this thing I believe --
http://home.novint.com/products/pistol_grips.php

seriously considering getting one.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
That thing looks bad @#$% lol

Probably hard to make it work on a XIM though, sounds like it's reading information from the game to do the force feedback stuff and possibly for sensitivity/turning information.

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
Reading vibrations wouldn't be too hard to be honest, as there is a XIM3 in between the Xbox and the controller, and with firmware updates it SHOULD be possible to recognize vibrations signals being sent to the controller and send them as force feedback to the gun.

This would be epic, and I would check it out if it was implemented.