XIM Community

Using Xim to play PC games  (Read 3151 times)

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
Using Xim to play PC games
« on: 04:35 PM - 01/12/16 »
So coming from a controller first background, I'm more comfortable using a joystick for movement.  I just recently started playing PC games (No FPS/multiplayer) and have been using the XIM for controller supported games and having a blast.  Anyone else do this too? 

Now I've played using the native mouse support and it's actually fun but switching back to consoles not all games have that speed, COD being the closest in my library and allows for a smoother transition when gaming in between.

Played these games with this combo so far:
Tomb Raider
Far Cry 4
Phantom Pain

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Using Xim to play PC games
« Reply #1 on: 05:17 PM - 01/12/16 »
Use XIM4 to game on a PC? Yes, I've heard of many cases here on the forum of people doing that.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:55 PM - 01/12/16 »
I haven't got any modern games for pc but i have used a joystick on open arena/quake3 with mouse and keyboard
i haven't tried to do it with the xim yet

spicy do you know that with a bit of tinkering you can get the sony nav to work on pc? i have had
the ps3 controller and the nav working in windows and linux and i used the nav in quake3/open areana on linux
along side the keyboard and mouse which was rather cool

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sony+navigation+controller+on+pc&t=lm

I know folk have had trouble with motionjoy i cant remember what i had it working with in windows

i am certain i got it going in linux from the command line http://www.linux.org/threads/joystick-and-other-game-controllers.4120/
but it was about 2 or 3 years ago but
ile look for the easyiest way to do it :) in fact i seem to remember that once you set up the ps3 pad to linux it sees the nav as a ps3 dual shock controller  8)
or half a pad so if you get the ps3 controller working the navigation controller works too
i am almost certain this was how i was able to get it to work in open arena , you have to enable joystick in the game menu too ;)

http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7729420_use-ps3-controller-ubuntu.html

https://dhoium3009.wordpress.com/raspberry-pi-connecting-multiple-ps3-controllers-via-bluetooth/
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:10 PM - 01/12/16 »
I never did figure it out hence defaulting to the Xim lol

I'll have to try it again some time for sure if you got it to go for windows!

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:41 PM - 01/12/16 »
I am fairy sure it was with motion joy but it was a hassle to sort out
once i manged to get the ps3 to work the nav also then worked
I am sure that was under xp and vista tho as i didn't have any other windyhoes os at the time :)

but if you are using the nav into the xim4 and then into pc with a xbox 360 wired controller thats
probably better and use the mouse natively and you can probably use the titan1 too

i find the xims the easiest to setup out of the adapters out there :)
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01:54 AM - 01/13/16 »
Joy to key and all that motion joy stuff is junk. Such a hassle.

All the programs I tried involved a lot of work and left me with unresponsive buggy controls.  Xim is the answer for sure.
BFH

Offline Xelos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:09 PM - 02/10/16 »
How did you manage to use the xim4 on pc? I tried hooking it up with bo3, xbox 360 controller lighted up player one but the controller didnt work... any ideas/experiences?

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:17 PM - 02/10/16 »
Didn't use a 360 controller however I had X1 controller, Sony Nav, and G502 plugged into Xim4 -> PC.

Is it an official wired usb controller?

Offline Xelos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06:27 PM - 02/10/16 »
yes ofcourse, I also tried it with a ps4 controller. I tried everything: plugging in controller only -> PC first, starting the game, unplugging controller, plugging it into the xim4 -> PC (once without mouse/kb hooked up, one without...and once without pressing the P button and once with) I had it to the point where the keyboard was lighting up and the controller showing "player 1" instead of searching, but no input.

I also tried that on far cry 4, like you but it didnt work either (same result)

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:30 PM - 02/10/16 »
Hmmm, not too sure why it's not working.  Granted I'm on the latest "2016 firmware/manager" variant of the Xim4 via the Release candidates of Xim4 downloads.

Offline Xelos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:39 PM - 02/10/16 »
Did the 2016 version just come out? Im running on the smart translators v2 version 20141114 i think.
thanks for taking your time to answer me!
But can you describe your prozess of how you manage to hook it up really specific :D (or indeph)
Sorry for my bad english, its getting really late here :D

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:46 PM - 02/10/16 »
The 2016 firmware/manager did just come out recently, however 2015 variant has been upgraded throughout the year.  You'll definitely want to upgrade to the latest though it will wipe all settings you currently have so keep that in mind.

No problem at all!

Typically I Have Xim4 unplugged from PC.

Then Plug Controller->Sony Navigation->Mouse then Xim4 to PC. 

English is fine too!

Offline Xelos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06:56 PM - 02/10/16 »
mhh, tomorrow IŽll update and try it once again. And do the mouse input and keyboard work fine (for example in far cry) ? I guess you are using ps move on the left hand and the mouse in the right hand to aim and shoot? Thanks for answering!

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:00 PM - 02/10/16 »
Mouse input works fine(Right Hand) & Sony Nav (Left Hand) also has no problem.  Manager allows me to alter input as necessary.  I just max out settings in game for controller.

You're welcome and good luck!  You'll want to request RC access I believe as well.

Offline Xelos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07:19 PM - 02/10/16 »
Are you using xim manager for Pc or on the phone? And do I need to request something before I can use the release candidate?

Admin