XIM Community

Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma  (Read 4460 times)

Offline am0b

• View Profile
Re: Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma
« Reply #30 on: 03:49 PM - 01/06/16 »
You could always get a CRT ......  ;D

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06:38 PM - 01/06/16 »
Depends on the display.  There isn't a huge difference going from 9ms input lag (the best monitor) to around 20ms (the best non-monitor display).  It's when you get past 30ms that it really starts to be a problem, and even then, we are talking about a problem for elite gamers, not Joe Average.

Bingo.

I don't know why so many people aspire to or pretend to be pro gamers. A difference of 5-10ms is bee's dick for the general public. I hate to tell you, but the vast majority of us ARE the general public.

We don't need pro gear, near enough is good enough for console gaming. If it wasn't, we'd be on PC to run the frame-rates that take advantage of low ms gear, playing games that turn on a dime.

Do some research and get a GOOD HDTV and the lag will be negligible. Given the best I can hope for my internet ping is 25ms, I'm pretty sure 14ms of display lag and 8ms of controller lag is going to do very little to my KDR when it takes, at BEST 16ms and more likely 25+ms, to draw a single frame.

If 10ms mattered that much, no-one would be playing Call of Duty on XB1 - the PS4 can hold a steady 50-60FPS whereas the XB1 struggles to hit above 35-45FPS. Convenience comes at a compromise and console gaming is all about convenience.
::)
They really aren't that different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eek-JUnFQ40

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09:15 PM - 01/06/16 »

If you have a gaming monitor you have to match the settings with the screen

So your monitor will be set on full rgb 0-255 as default and your console will be set on limited rgb 16-235 as default

A TV uses 16-235 color range, computers use 0-255 and gaming monitors are  set on this setting
unless you change it .

Tv's are set at 16-235 color range unless you change it.

So here is a simple test for you with your console connected to your monitor with hdmi/dvi

Step1 check settings and make sure your monitor
is set to to full range RGB 0-255

Step2 set your ps4/ps3 or xbox1/xb360 on RGB 16-235 limited
take a few seconds to look at the result and then go back to settings

Step3 set your consoles RGB range to full take a few seconds to look at the result and then go back to settings

Step4 set your ps4/ps3 or xbox1/xb360 on RGB 16-235 limited
boot cod and play a short private match against the bots.

Step5 close cod and set your consoles RGB range to full
boot cod and play a short private match against the bots.

Full range RGB will always be superior to limited. It's a wider gamut range,
but do not change your Tv to full unless it fully supports full rgb or it will look worse and may even damage your TV

I can feel the delay on a lg tv even in game mode and when a tv is not in game mode its like 44ms delay
compared with 9ms or 10ms on a low lag gaming monitor, if you cant feel that lag in fps then good for you
I can it is not placebo.Slow input is slower and Fast input is faster its pretty simple really.

Copy and past this post and send it as a question To visual experts like Richer sounds and they will confirm that it is correct.
« Last Edit: 09:28 PM - 01/06/16 by MindControlZombies »
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline mikael

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11:21 PM - 01/06/16 »
I can notice the difference very very clearly I guess it's different depending on people. I can't even play for more than 10 minutes on a TV anymore even though I have a TV that advertises as 2 milliseconds

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #34 on: 04:16 AM - 01/07/16 »
I can feel the delay on a lg tv even in game mode and when a tv is not in game mode its like 44ms delay
compared with 9ms or 10ms on a low lag gaming monitor, if you cant feel that lag in fps then good for you
I can it is not placebo.Slow input is slower and Fast input is faster its pretty simple really.

You should see the difference between 44ms and 10ms, that's a large enough performance gap for it to register. I can definitely feel the difference between 50ms (old ISP) and 25ms (new ISP) ping. But the difference between 14ms and 10ms? Not likely.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline flyingbanana

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07:49 AM - 01/07/16 »
Hey guys, should I buy a gaming monitor for my xim4 set up or an LED 1080p? Im no expert on monitors/tv, so i need ur input on what to look for if i buy a LED tv!

Whatever you chose to buy, check on displaylag.com before buying. And let me assure you, my tv has a gaming mode preset which basically tries to lower the input lag to as low as possible but it doesn't even come close to the monitor I usually use for console gaming which is a benq rl2455hm (under 200$ btw so u might wanna check it out).

Also, bigger isn't better, since with e.g. a 24" monitor, you can focus on a smaller area.

Whatever you do, play on a wired connection, otherwise you're wasting your time thinking about input lag from your screen.

Offline Starkasm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09:12 AM - 01/07/16 »
Tartarus Chroma is what I use. It works great.

There is a lot of latency using a TV in my experience. I use an HDMI monitor,  feels great!

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
« Reply #37 on: 09:27 AM - 01/07/16 »
@MindControl,

Not sure why you are mentioning 44ms input lag and asking if people will feel a difference.  I already said that it is when input lag gets over 30ms that you start to perceive issues.  There are displays that aren't monitors that have input lag in the low 20's, though, so... yeah.

The best monitors have the lowest input lag available, but there are non monitor displays that have lag times in the low 20's.  Some of them, like the Sony 40ES, don't even sacrifice PQ to get lag times that low.  If you want to use a monitor to play with, then by all means do so.  Just know, that there are other options, and again, the difference between 9ms and 20ms is negligible.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
« Reply #38 on: 11:51 AM - 01/07/16 »
The 4ms listed for that monitor is not the input lag number.  It refers to response time.  Not the same.

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12:05 PM - 01/07/16 »
:-)  another issue for me is my TVs use more power our electric bills are smaller because of lower energy tech compared with what we had a few years ago but my Tvs still use far more then a 24monitor

And TVs give off more heat, in summer i have to have fans blazing and if i put the Tv on it gets much worse
i think my old tv uses 300watts of power my monitor is probably 60 to 90watts
if i put my old lg tv on and a fat ps3 theres no need to have the heating on as those two
would heat the whole house :) an the ps4 gets quite warm too :)
« Last Edit: 12:16 PM - 01/07/16 by MindControlZombies »
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #40 on: 12:15 PM - 01/08/16 »
FPS gaming - monitor, xim, desk, headphones

Everything else - projector (best screen size to price ratio!), controller, couch, surround sound system