XIM Community

Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma  (Read 4450 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma
« Reply #15 on: 07:47 AM - 01/06/16 »
Most people prefer smaller monitors. Since most people prefer smaller monitors by a huge margin I think it would be safer to recommend what most people like over what the minority of people use.

Likewise, most console gamers prefer to game from the couch by a huge margin. In which case, a smaller monitor isn't going to help, so it's easier to recommend what most people like over what the minority of people use.

Different horses, different courses.

I absolutely agree - for most desktop gamers, a low-lag 24-27" screen is the way to go, particularly considering the budget. Just know there are alternatives if you're not one of the bleating herd.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07:49 AM - 01/06/16 »
Most people prefer smaller monitors. Since most people prefer smaller monitors by a huge margin I think it would be safer to recommend what most people like over what the minority of people use.

Likewise, most console gamers prefer to game from the couch by a huge margin. In which case, a smaller monitor isn't going to help, so it's easier to recommend what most people like over what the minority of people use.

Play from the couch!? That's blasphemy.
BFH

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08:01 AM - 01/06/16 »
For 200 bucks you'd be better off to go with a monitor. The benq rl2455hm is good for console gaming.
+1
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08:02 AM - 01/06/16 »

Play from the couch!? That's blasphemy.
haha  :)
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
« Reply #19 on: 09:54 AM - 01/06/16 »
I bought the Tartarus chroma and the Logitech G13 at the same time to test them.  While there are things I liked about the Tartarus better, I returned it and kept the G13.  The reason?  The analog stick.

Not going to go into a lengthy breakdown, but if you want to use the stick for movement, then the Tartarus is not going to work.  It is a digital... nub.  It's not even a stick.  It's almost like those old school arcade dials that you would find on games like Breakout or Arknoid, except it doesn't spin.  It is a nightmare to try and use for movement.

If you are interested in a gamepad with an analog stick that you can actually use for movement, get the G13.  If you are going to use WASD for movement, then the Tartarus is a good choice, because it is adjustable and a little more comfortable, to me, than the G13.

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11:57 AM - 01/06/16 »
 Tartarus n52 etc with a analog stick mod wud b even better

80 is a lot to drop on the g13 if you find it hurts your hand to use the stick and press buttons so best advice is to go to a shop and ask to try one instore and if its good 4u great  buy it :)

or order one check the for comfort if good gr8 if not send it back :) its like marmite u like it or u hate it
but they need to make a new improved version i doubt they will though man :(

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12:10 PM - 01/06/16 »
G13 doesn't hurt my hand at all.  It's comfortable and very well made/sturdy.  I just think the Tartarus was a little better ergonomically.

G13 is like $50 on Amazon.  I see used n52te's for 3 times that, and then you have to mod them... how is that cheaper lol?

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12:20 PM - 01/06/16 »
pick n52s up cheap 2nd hand over here i got 1 from a flea market the originals were only about 25 until razer pimped it to a nostrom then they went up dude

i have had a g13 for about 3 or 4 years i tried to make it work out for me but it hurts my hands
the keys are cheap feeling too. i much prefer my corsair keyboard just waiting my t1 now and just checked tracking it is still in the usa i ordered it last week lol last tracking update was this "CHICAGO IL,
   Arrived at USPS Facility    December 31, 2015 - 8:45 am :( ha

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12:26 PM - 01/06/16 »
I hear you, but I'm talking about now.  The price on used ones are pretty steep.  Not doubting that they aren't really good.  I loved the shape and the joystick angle, but not spending that much on something used, only to then have to either get parts for it to mod myself, or send it to someone to mod, for even more money.

For me, G13 and some Sugru for a better thumbstick nub ($60 total) was a better option.  If I could get an N52te for brand new with an analog stick already in it for that price, then I would definitely choose that.

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12:39 PM - 01/06/16 »
yeah man i hope one day they see sense and make one it would be auwsome but razer would force you to uses cloud no onboard memory because they are ultra morons they say there for for gamers by gamers but they and logitech ignore what people want and give out half assed products that could have been perfect with just a lil extra stuff we need :)

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01:11 PM - 01/06/16 »
I really appreciate everyones input!  my xim4 is in my mailbox at home and gonna pick up the tartarus later and shop for a small new tv or monitor!     

Are you wanting to use the stick for movement?  Don't think I saw you answer this.  If you are, the TArtarus won't be good for that.  If not, then it's great.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02:09 PM - 01/06/16 »
Cool. You should be happy with it then.

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02:26 PM - 01/06/16 »
its not just the fact that TVs lag more, limited rgb for gaming is inferior to full rgb which looks much better

Maybe for high-end PC gaming, but not console gaming, where we make sacrifices like frame-rate, turn-speed, poly counts and resolution in return for low-cost ease-of-play, so it's a complete non-factor.

Aside from quibbles like RGB and display lag, which let's be honest, are minor factors at best, I personally prefer what a TV does for gaming more than a small-screen monitor. I used to feed my PC racing games out to a 55" Bravia. It looks freaking awesome and is significantly more immersive than staring at a tiny box on a desktop.

The point is TVs are not as bad for gaming as they're made out to be by PC snobs and wanna-be CoD armchair warriors. There are pros and cons to both and unless you're a pro gamer, there's little point worrying about an undetectable amount of display lag at the cost of screen real estate. Just make sure the TV screen has a decent gaming mode, look into the display lag before purchase to ensure it's not a complete dog's breakfast and enjoy the other stuff you get to do with it, like...I dunno...watching TV.
Undetectable? Have you actually tried to see the difference? I guess it depends on the TV but if I can see a significant delay gong from a low input lag LED computer monitor and my Sony Lcd TV.
« Last Edit: 02:38 PM - 01/06/16 by gunit2004 »
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03:08 PM - 01/06/16 »
Depends on the display.  There isn't a huge difference going from 9ms input lag (the best monitor) to around 20ms (the best non-monitor display).  It's when you get past 30ms that it really starts to be a problem, and even then, we are talking about a problem for elite gamers, not Joe Average.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #29 on: 03:26 PM - 01/06/16 »
Depends on the display.  There isn't a huge difference going from 9ms input lag (the best monitor) to around 20ms (the best non-monitor display).  It's when you get past 30ms that it really starts to be a problem, and even then, we are talking about a problem for elite gamers, not Joe Average.

Bingo.

I don't know why so many people aspire to or pretend to be pro gamers. A difference of 5-10ms is bee's dick for the general public. I hate to tell you, but the vast majority of us ARE the general public.

We don't need pro gear, near enough is good enough for console gaming. If it wasn't, we'd be on PC to run the frame-rates that take advantage of low ms gear, playing games that turn on a dime.

Do some research and get a GOOD HDTV and the lag will be negligible. Given the best I can hope for my internet ping is 25ms, I'm pretty sure 14ms of display lag and 8ms of controller lag is going to do very little to my KDR when it takes, at BEST 16ms and more likely 25+ms, to draw a single frame.

If 10ms mattered that much, no-one would be playing Call of Duty on XB1 - the PS4 can hold a steady 50-60FPS whereas the XB1 struggles to hit above 35-45FPS. Convenience comes at a compromise and console gaming is all about convenience.
« Last Edit: 04:15 PM - 01/06/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin