XIM Community

Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma  (Read 4451 times)

Offline doses502

• View Profile
Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma
« on: 07:52 PM - 01/05/16 »
Hey guys, should I buy a gaming monitor for my xim4 set up or an LED 1080p? Im no expert on monitors/tv, so i need ur input on what to look for if i buy a LED tv!

Also, the RaZER Tartarus CHROMA.. Anyone use this joystick? my xim4 arrives tomorrow and im thinking about buying this joystick for my set-up. i know the razer tartarus is on the compatible list but is there any difference on the chroma version?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Monitor or TV? also Razer Tartatus Chroma
« Reply #1 on: 08:23 PM - 01/05/16 »
A monitor has lower lag than a TV, but a good TV has low enough lag that it doesn't really matter.

It all comes down to whether or not you game on the desktop, and what size screen you want to use.

I use a 32" Sony Bravia KDL32W700B on my desktop because that extra screen size makes a substantial difference over monitors, which typically top out at 27". With only 14ms of display lag, which is less than the time it takes to draw a single frame of a 60FPS game, it's "near enough is good enough" territory for my money.

Chroma simply means "customisable lighting" on the Tartarus. Get the Orbweaver if you want more buttons. Also, the thumbstick is digital rather than analog, which makes it useless for movement. Shouldn't matter if you use WASD for movement and is a good spot to map a d-pad.
« Last Edit: 11:51 PM - 01/05/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:17 PM - 01/05/16 »
A monitor has lower lag than a TV, but a good TV has low enough lag that it doesn't really matter.

It all comes down to whether or not you game on the desktop, and what size screen you want to use.

I use a 32" Sony Bravia WDL32W700B on my desktop because that extra screen size makes a substantial difference over monitors, which typically top out at 27".

Tvs suck for gaming they don't use the full rgb range, the input lag is worse then they print on the box
and they use more power + its quicker to look around 24inches then a Big tv, gaming on Big tv gives me a sore neck and over works my eye balls.
A 24 inch 1ms lcd monitor is the well better option.
« Last Edit: 10:25 PM - 01/05/16 by MindControlZombies »
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 10:49 PM - 01/05/16 »
thanks for ur input! yeah i may just get a tv since i get 'more bang for my $' as it is bigger. my budget is $200 or less. i was just worried about lag

I dare say for your $200 budget, you'll get a better monitor than TV though, so beware the brand you buy as not all TVs are created equal.

so 60mhz is more than enough or should i aim for more

60mhz is the fastest refresh rate you'll get on console. Anything more is a waste and will likely create more display lag as the increase mhz is usually done by post-processing, which is the opposite of what you want for gaming.

A 24 inch 1ms lcd monitor is the well better option.

Maybe better for you, but not for me. 24" is too small and likewise, the input lag is not as advertised.

I'm not the least bit concerned about 14ms display lag when I can spot an enemy easier on a larger screen.

Besides, the real enemy is internet lag and there's nothing a 1ms screen can do about that. Not to mention Father Time takes its toll on both eyesight and reaction speed.
« Last Edit: 11:01 PM - 01/05/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:00 PM - 01/05/16 »
lcd monitor stated input lag 1ms probably really 10ms Tv stated input lag 14ms more like 25 to 40ms
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 11:02 PM - 01/05/16 »
lcd monitor stated input lag 1ms probably really 10msTv stated input lag 14ms more like 25 to 40ms

Not mine, my friend. Independently tested at 14ms ;) I couldn't find any Sony data and had to rely on third-party testing.

Check out the model I posted and its big brother, the 40". Best gaming TVs money can buy. Otherwise, I would have stuck to a smaller, less impressive, dumb-terminal monitor.

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:26 PM - 01/05/16 »
its not just the fact that TVs lag more, limited rgb for gaming is inferior to full rgb which looks much better

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 11:29 PM - 01/05/16 »
its not just the fact that TVs lag more, limited rgb for gaming is inferior to full rgb which looks much better

Maybe for high-end PC gaming, but not console gaming, where we make sacrifices like frame-rate, turn-speed, poly counts and resolution in return for low-cost ease-of-play, so it's a complete non-factor.

Aside from quibbles like RGB and display lag, which let's be honest, are minor factors at best, I personally prefer what a TV does for gaming more than a small-screen monitor. I used to feed my PC racing games out to a 55" Bravia. It looks freaking awesome and is significantly more immersive than staring at a tiny box on a desktop.

The point is TVs are not as bad for gaming as they're made out to be by PC snobs and wanna-be CoD armchair warriors. There are pros and cons to both and unless you're a pro gamer, there's little point worrying about an undetectable amount of display lag at the cost of screen real estate. Just make sure the TV screen has a decent gaming mode, look into the display lag before purchase to ensure it's not a complete dog's breakfast and enjoy the other stuff you get to do with it, like...I dunno...watching TV.
« Last Edit: 11:38 PM - 01/05/16 by antithesis »

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:41 PM - 01/05/16 »
if i was to put my monitor on limited rgb games look less good then full rgb :o

Bed time for me :cya O)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 11:42 PM - 01/05/16 »
if i was to put my monitor on limited rgb games look less good then full rgb :o

Sounds like a problem with your monitor ;)

Just as well my TV supports full Dynamic Range, meaning FULL RGB. I ran this test on my TV (http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=16), and it passed with flying colours. I can distinguish every box colour with ease.

Unfortunately, the 27" iMac right next door to the TV could not - the entire top row looks the same colour, no matter how high I crank the Brightness :hmm:.

Not that it matters, I never bothered to look into Limited vs Full RGB. I enabled Full RGB on my consoles and had the TV set to Auto, so I'm guessing it worked. I've now set all HDMI inputs to Full and will see if there's any difference.

Point being...TVs have Full RGB, depending on the model, so again, moot argument. I'll happily play on my Full RGB, 14ms confirmed display lag TV for the extra 5" of screen real estate it provides. It may not sound like much, but it's a dang sight bigger than 27" & substantially larger than 24" (way too small - I had a PS3D Display previously, which is dwarfed) and hits a real sweet spot for my eyes at the distance I sit from the screen. That said, if the TV was any larger than 32", I'd need a retina transplant and neck brace.
« Last Edit: 02:29 AM - 01/06/16 by antithesis »

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06:10 AM - 01/06/16 »
There is no problem with my monitor full rgb mode is for gaming and the correct setting , limited is for tvs for movies and TV, using limited limits the rgb range the screen can use, using full rgb is self explanatory

when they used my screen for MLG everyone had it set to full RGB

have you ever read any george orwell? 1+1=2

ant you make very good points and diagrams at times so i am not sure why your fighting common sense
when you are clearly smarter than that ;)

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:50 AM - 01/06/16 »
For me anything over 23" is too big. 32" would be way too big.

Smaller is better IMO because it is a lesser area you have to focus on. I don't use my peripheral because I can literally see everything. For me it's much harder to spot enemies on larger screens ( it's a lot harder to discern movement once you get out of your central vision).

Your eyes best vision is only in the central 5 degrees of you FOV. Think about how ridiculously small an area that is. Even with images being larger they are still harder for me to see and react to. If I have to move my eyes too look for enemies then i'm not gonna have nearly the time to react if I just always look straight and can always see everything. 

I notice drastic improvements in my gaming along with much less strain on my eyes once I go under 27". After 23" I notice drastic 'negative returns'.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but I would never use anything over 23" and it would definitely be a monitor. Most pros use 23-24". Bigger is NOT better - everyone has their sweet spot (I have 20/20 vision).

Again, this is just my opinion that many people share... find yours.

Here is another thread. Most people don't play on large monitors.

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=38421.15

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29648-27-inch-monitor-too-big/
« Last Edit: 07:20 AM - 01/06/16 by sbc2k1 »
BFH

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 07:18 AM - 01/06/16 »
ant you make very good points and diagrams at times so i am not sure why your fighting common sense
when you are clearly smarter than that ;)

Logic dictates that a 24-27", 1ms monitor is the "best" gaming screen. Logic also dictates that a PC is a far superior gaming option than a console.

So why do we game on consoles and use TVs as screens? Because if we let logic dictate our behaviour, we'd all be wearing sandals, driving Volvos and playing on beige PCs.

What's "best" is relative to the individual. Some of us prefer couch or desktop, small screen or large. My argument is simply not to rule out a quality HDTV because it can have both low display lag and full RGB, which is the basis of your position against TVs.

Both requirements can be met and you get a much larger screen to boot, along with additional functionality like TV, internet and media servers built-in, as well as comfort things like gaming on the couch, if that happens to float your boat.

For me anything over 23" is too big. 32" would be way too big. 

I notice drastic improvements in my gaming along with much less strain on my eyes once I go under 27". After 23" I notice drastic 'negative returns'.

Bigger is NOT better. Everyone has their sweet spot.  (I have 20/20 vision)

I don't have 20/20 vision and it's only going to get worse. 24" used to be positively monstrous, but it's tiny compared to what my eyes are comfortable with today.

Find what works for you. There are good monitors and good TVs, but most are bad. Invest in good gear and the technical differences are largely irrelevant and it becomes a decision about what "feels" right rather than letting logic dictate the outcome.

Most pros use 23-24".

Ah...the pros argument. But how many of us can make that claim? 99.9999999% of us AREN'T pros, so don't base a decision on what someone else is doing, find your own path. Simply do what feels right and is comfortable to use. For you, that's a 23" monitor. For me, it's a 32" HDTV. Both of us have relatively low-lag displays with full RGB. Neither of us is wrong. It's a simple matter of personal choice and no-one can categorically state what is and isn't "best" for someone else.
« Last Edit: 08:05 AM - 01/06/16 by antithesis »

Offline sbc2k1

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:35 AM - 01/06/16 »
Exactly. Let people figure out what they prefer.

Most competitive gamers prefer smaller to bigger OP.

Independently find out what you like. If you are trying to play FPS competitively or aspire to play the best you can then 99% of anyone with any credentials will suggest a smaller monitor.

Most people prefer smaller monitors. Since most people prefer smaller monitors by a huge margin I think it would be safer to recommend what most people like over what the minority of people use.
« Last Edit: 07:44 AM - 01/06/16 by sbc2k1 »
BFH

Offline kayoussoldier

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07:42 AM - 01/06/16 »
For 200 bucks you'd be better off to go with a monitor. The benq rl2455hm is good for console gaming.

Admin