XIM Community

Yet Another KVM Switch Question...  (Read 1352 times)

Offline dynamic.eternal

• View Profile
Yet Another KVM Switch Question...
« on: 12:13 PM - 01/01/16 »
I'll apologize first for asking this because I've found multiple threads on here regarding KVM already.  Problem is, they all only partially answer my questions.  I figure maybe someone else has a similar setup as me and can provide a working solution.  I have a PC and PS4 hooked up to same monitor (PS4 via HDMI and PC via DVI) and want to share mouse (Logitech G502) and game pad (original Nosromo N52) between the 2 systems.  My issue with the Sandhawc is it requires the PC to be active and most times my PC will be in sleep mode so that solution probably won't be viable, hence the need for a true KVM.  I've read some have had issues with Logitech mice and certain KVM's in addition to N52's having issues with KVM as well.  So here I am trying to see if anyone has any experience with a similar setup that can provide some insight.  The only other variable is I have a Hyper X Cloud headset I'd like to use for both as well.  I do have the DSS2 and the Syba USB Stereo adapter to hopefully make this work.  I know I'm asking a lot but can anyone help me with a solution based on my setup?  I'm open to the Sandhawc option still too if it provides the best option.  Any info/help is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the long-winded text wall.   ;D

Offline am0b

• View Profile
Re: Yet Another KVM Switch Question...
« Reply #1 on: 12:46 PM - 01/01/16 »
I feel sandhawc is the best option as it eliminates the need of so many wires, I've recently started using it myself, but then again my PC is almost always on as I record with it.

Another note, some switches have a delay when pressed when moving from XIM to PC, I've found the best to be made by ATEN, from my experience anyway.

Offline dynamic.eternal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02:12 PM - 01/01/16 »
I feel sandhawc is the best option as it eliminates the need of so many wires, I've recently started using it myself, but then again my PC is almost always on as I record with it.

Another note, some switches have a delay when pressed when moving from XIM to PC, I've found the best to be made by ATEN, from my experience anyway.
I appreciate the feedback and will consider this.  Hopefully I get some more people with their take as well.  Thanks again!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 05:19 PM - 01/01/16 »
IOGear 2x2 or 4x4 USB switch will do the job.

Plug your mouse and kb into the front ports of the switch. Run the cables from the back of the switch to your PC and Xim 4. Enable USB hot swap in Xim 4 > Global Settings.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline dynamic.eternal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:43 PM - 01/01/16 »

Plug your mouse and kb into the front ports of the switch. Run the cables from the back of the switch to your PC and Xim 4. Enable USB hot swap in Xim 4 > Global Settings.

Appreciate the response!  How about the headset?  Will that work in this setup too?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 07:22 PM - 01/01/16 »

Appreciate the response!  How about the headset?  Will that work in this setup too?

That's a bit trickier. Audio pass-through doesn't seem to work on the Xim, at least not for Astros. If the DSS / Syba were plugged into a 4x4 USB switch, then into the Xim, I don't think the console audio will work via the Xim.

There'd be a number of other ways to share the audio without mixing it up with your m/kb setup and you might need to go down that path. A second 2x2 USB switch on a separate PS4 & PC USB port might work. Another option would be to feed audio via Optical from PC and PS4 via a TOSlink switch to the DSS2 / Syba setup. I use a ViewHD TOSlink matrix to share my Sound Blaster X7 between 4 consoles and it works perfectly.

How do you use the DSS2 with your PC setup, or is it only for PS4?

« Last Edit: 11:51 PM - 01/01/16 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline dynamic.eternal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:33 PM - 01/01/16 »
That's a bit trickier. Audio pass-through doesn't seem to work on the Xim, at least not for Astros. If the DSS / Syba were plugged into a 4x4 USB switch, then into the Xim, I don't think the console audio will work via the Xim.

There'd be a number of other ways to share the audio without mixing it up with your m/kb setup and you might need to go down that path. A second 2x2 USB switch on a separate PS4 & PC USB port might work. Another option would be to feed audio via Optical from PC and PS4 via a TOSlink switch to the DSS2 / Syba setup. I use a HDView TOSlink matrix to share my Sound Blaster X7 between 4 consoles and it works perfectly.

How do you use the DSS2 with your PC setup, or is it only for PS4?

Thanks again for the info.  I actually do not use the DSS2 at all right now.  I have the HyperX Cloud right now plugged into my PC only.  I ordered the DSS2 but haven't received yet.  I'll figure out the headset issue, that's not as important as the k/m.

Offline El Xando

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:35 PM - 01/03/16 »
Hello!

I use this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aten-CS22U-2-Port-Cable-Switch/dp/B002NTIZCG/

Part of the reason I went for this one is it doesn't act as a hub too - you get a USB for keyboard and mouse for each output, so 4 total USBs out. This isn't actually a necessity for the XIM4 as I thought it was when I ordered, but it's nice to have none-the-less.

You may have seen I was the one with the Logitech mouse issue. I have not found a solution, I just no longer use Logitech Gaming Software. So long as it hasn't been open on my PC, the switch works fine.

Having the external button to do the switch is super handy, and I can now easily move between PC and Xbox, and do it a lot. I often browse the internet on my PC between Halo games.