XIM Community

Awesome Aluminum Pad for only $9 on Amazon  (Read 14308 times)

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
Re: For the those that want a truly large Hardpad
« Reply #15 on: 12:33 AM - 12/29/15 »
Y'all trynna spend all this money on large hard pads and I'm like

2 bux at Walmart.   It's a placemat.  Hard textured plastic.  Git it....
Does this really work? Does the tracking stay constant over the design and such? I'm interested to see how it would work because this could be a very good alternative to a speed pad if it works

Yes it really works and is consistent.   I've been playing with the g502 and tested with the da chroma.  Works awesome.  Very slick and fast and the texture is great.  You can spray paint with some flat black if you wanted.

Link would help.

Walmart.com

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
« Reply #16 on: 12:52 AM - 12/29/15 »

Does this really work? Does the tracking stay constant over the design and such? I'm interested to see how it would work because this could be a very good alternative to a speed pad if it works

Yes it really works and is consistent.   I've been playing with the g502 and tested with the da chroma.  Works awesome.  Very slick and fast and the texture is great.  You can spray paint with some flat black if you wanted.

Link would help.

Walmart.com

LMAO. C'mon man.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Spidey
« Reply #17 on: 08:28 AM - 12/29/15 »
I ended up ordering this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-gaming-mouse-pad-gray/3640004.p?id=1219092582080&skuId=3640004

Its dual sided and a little bit smaller than yours. I needed something just right in terms of size for my desk. on top of that I got it for $12.99 ( Open box ) + free ship.

I'd say 4" is a lot smaller lol, but if that's the size you need, then glad you got a deal on it to boot.  How is the surface?

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08:29 AM - 12/29/15 »

Link would help.

Walmart.com

Walmart has a horrible search engine.  I've tried searching for it.  Gives you 50 pages of unrelated crap.  But whatever.

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08:35 AM - 12/29/15 »
I have heard of people using those plastic cutting boards as mouse pads. It's worth a shot especially with how cheap they are. Might be worth a try as well as picking up a cheap plastic place mat from Walmart while your there
XBox One, XIM4, Logitech G502, Razer Orbweaver, Behringer Xenyx 802 audio Mixer, DSS1, Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X, Boom XLR Microphone, KVM Switch, Razer Goliathus Speed Mat

Offline kuhl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08:39 AM - 12/29/15 »
Uber has a tutorial up on how to make a cheap mousepad out of one of those white mats you use in the kitchen.  Has the name and everything on it.  He painted it black to match his stuff.  I'd imagine regardless of how good the paint is, that you'd have quite a bit of that paint coming off in short order.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10:03 AM - 12/29/15 »
ot]e author=Web-head link=topic=44117.msg540835#msg540835 date=1451399377]

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1510/23954811931_6441acd6d3_h.jpg

Link would help.

Walmart.com

Walmart has a horrible search engine.  I've tried searching for it.  Gives you 50 pages of unrelated crap.  But whatever.
[/quote]

Dude it's a placemat.  I doubt it comes up on a search engine.  Drive to walmart or your favorite store that has kitchen stuff and buy it there.  2 bux.  If you want to do like I did,

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10:10 AM - 12/29/15 »
No Walmarts in NYC.  Not driving to Jersey or Long Island for something that may or may not be there.

You posted a picture of a specific Star Wars placemat saying that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I assumed you meant that we should get that particular mat.  When I recommend someone gets something, I put a link so that they can actually get it if they want to. 

If you are saying that any old placemat from anywhere will do, then that's not the impression I got and find that advice dubious in any case.

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02:39 PM - 12/29/15 »
Because I can never curb my addiction for looking for the next new thing, and because it is so cheap especially for it's size (around 15" wide I think), I ordered this Aluminum pad to test:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFWH880?keywords=speed%20by%20surface%20metallic%20black&qid=1451421369&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

With the discussion of using cheap placemats as pads, I was curious if they had aluminum cutting boards or baking sheets that might do the trick as well and came across this.  It comes tomorrow.  I'll post impressions for those interested.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10:09 PM - 12/29/15 »
Yes, any plastic place mat will work.  It doesn't have to have a picture of a star wars character on it to work.  Does that help?

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10:18 PM - 12/29/15 »
If you're gonna use a crappy placemat spray painted you might as well just use your desk
That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10:29 PM - 12/29/15 »
The placemat has very fine texture to it.  The matte black paint gives the mat a consistent surface.  The fine texture provides excellent tracking for very high dpi mice.  A desk is completely smooth and probably reflective to some degree.  Without getting too much into the science of it, if you don't want to try my cheap idea that works excellently and you prefer spending stupid amounts of money for cheaply made products that are specifically marketed toward people who are willing to spend that kind of money on plastic boards that cost a nickel to make, then you go do your thing.   Or just stay here on the Internet and insult people.  Whatever suits you.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11:01 PM - 12/29/15 »
No Walmarts in NYC.  Not driving to Jersey or Long Island for something that may or may not be there.

You posted a picture of a specific Star Wars placemat saying that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I assumed you meant that we should get that particular mat.  When I recommend someone gets something, I put a link so that they can actually get it if they want to. 

If you are saying that any old placemat from anywhere will do, then that's not the impression I got and find that advice dubious in any case.
So there's no place in new York that sells kitchen stuff but there's a million places to buy falafel?

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09:18 AM - 12/30/15 »

So there's no place in new York that sells kitchen stuff but there's a million places to buy falafel?

Again, you posted, go to WALMART and get THIS mat for $2.  If you really meant go to any store and buy any placemat, then you should have said that.  So, yeah, there are places to get kitchen things in NYC, and no, there are no Walmart's in NYC.  Our Gov't isn't too fond of their business practices.

In any event, if I'm ever in a store that happens to have placemats, I'll definitely think of you...

Offline Web-head

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02:16 PM - 12/31/15 »
I got the aluminum pad that I mentioned in an earlier post. It looks and feels far better than it has any right to for $9.

It looks expensive. Feels expensive and hefty.  Has nice rounded edges. Comes with a carrying case. Has a great silicone backing.  And the surface is amazing.

I'm buying another as a spare and returning the Func pad.  I give this pad the highest recommendation.

Admin