XIM Community

Question about powered hub.  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Loki

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Loki Revamped
  • PSN ID: LokiRevamped
Question about powered hub.
« on: 10:58 AM - 12/05/15 »
I am getting ready to purchase a powered hub. Which port do I plug the hub into and also which devices do I plug into the hub (keyboard or mouse or both?). I want to use a powered hub so that any powered device I use does not affect the xim4 and also so that I can use a device to help me hitch hotkeys,maybe a numlock key. Thanks in advance.
ping" width="200" height="200

Please don't trivialize something you don't understand

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Question about powered hub.
« Reply #1 on: 11:06 AM - 12/05/15 »
Are you getting power faults?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 05:07 PM - 12/05/15 »
I'm the annoying twat who pops up in support threads and says "use a powered hub" ;)

I use a Roccat Apuri, plugged into the Xim's mouse port. I only have the mouse plugged in, the kb has low power requirements, so I keep that on the Xim.

I have a Nav controller (no real reason, just for fun), Stinkyboard and another USB hub plugged into the hub connected to the Xim. Everything works and plays friendly, though the first time you set it up, try just the mouse and / or kb before adding extra stuff to the hub.

I've never seen a power fault symbol on my Xim, but it will go into an endless reboot cycle if I don't use a powered USB hub. Either that, or I can't use the gear I own the way I want, e.g. my Razer Ouroboros won't work wired with the Xim and bombs BlueTooth in wireless mode.

I also can't get my Titan One to work reliably with the Xim 4 unless I use a powered hub to take the power strain off the Xim.

I previously had issues supplying enough grunt to the Xim 3, Edge and Xim 4, so had the Xim plugged into the Apuri to alleviate, though never solve, those problems. Simply moving the hub behind the Xim instead of in front of it resolved all issues and I've had zero problems since.
« Last Edit: 08:30 PM - 12/05/15 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Loki

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Loki Revamped
  • PSN ID: LokiRevamped
« Reply #3 on: 06:08 PM - 12/05/15 »
I'm the annoying twat who pops up in support threads and says "use a powered hub" ;)

I use a Roccat Apuri, plugged into the Xim's mouse port. I only have the mouse plugged in, the kb has low power requirements, so I keep that on the Xim.

I also have a Nav controller (no real reason, just for fun), Stinkyboard and another USB hub plugged into the hub connected to the Xim. Everything works and plays friendly, though the first time you set it up, try just the mouse and / or kb before adding extra stuff to the hub.

I've never seen a power fault symbol on my Xim, but it will go into an endless reboot cycle if I don't use a powered USB hub. Either that, or I can't use the gear I own the way I want, e.g. my Razer Ouroboros won't work wired with the Xim and bombs BlueTooth in wireless mode.

I also can't get my Titan One to work reliably with the Xim 4 unless I use a powered hub to take the power strain off the Xim.

I previously had issues supplying enough grunt to the Xim 3, Edge and Xim 4, so had the Xim plugged into the Apuri to alleviate, though never solve, those problems. Simply moving the hub behind the Xim instead of in front of it resolved all issues and I've had zero problems since.

Thank You, I am ordering that hub because of a post of yours I saw.
ping" width="200" height="200

Please don't trivialize something you don't understand

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 10:23 PM - 12/05/15 »
I want to use a powered hub so that any powered device I use does not affect the xim4

The only way peripherals can affect your XIM4 is if they draw so much power that they cause a reduction of voltage to the point XIM4's processor can't function. Your XIM4 will tell you that before that point happens (by flashing red-yellow -- a power fault).

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 12:11 AM - 12/06/15 »
The only way peripherals can affect your XIM4 is if they draw so much power that they cause a reduction of voltage to the point XIM4's processor can't function. Your XIM4 will tell you that before that point happens (by flashing red-yellow -- a power fault).

Mine never did. It either went into a reboot loop or just stopped responding.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 01:33 AM - 12/06/15 »

Mine never did. It either went into a reboot loop or just stopped responding.

Ok. We will look into that.

Offline FortyOne

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Forty0ne
  • PSN ID: Forty_One
« Reply #7 on: 10:19 AM - 12/06/15 »
I plug my XIM4 into a powered hub that is then in turn plugged directly into my ps4.  That way I can also plug in the sony wireless headset dongle into the hub.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #8 on: 04:10 PM - 12/06/15 »
I plug my XIM4 into a powered hub that is then in turn plugged directly into my ps4.  That way I can also plug in the sony wireless headset dongle into the hub.

I double up. Powered hub into Xim 4. Xim 4 into a USB switch, so I can share it, Astro A50 cable, USB stick and USB HDD between 4 consoles. Power to the switch is optional, though I've recently added a wall-plug for the USB HDD.

PS4 doesn't like that though (sometimes sends to the Xim into a reboot cycle), so the Xim 4 tends to go into one PS4 port, the USB switch in the other. For 360, PS3 and XB1, the Xim's fine plugged into the switch.

Offline V3n0m15

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:39 AM - 12/07/15 »
I plan on getting a powered usb Hub so that i can run a Numpad, a PS nav controller, and my Razer Orbweaver.

The PS Nav will be for RPG games, the numpad to hotkey games such as all the Halo games to hot swap when playing MCC and also for BO3 for my two setups of Reg Gun and Sniper to switch quickly back and forth. I also just use the Razer Orbweaver for all my FPS games.

Trying to get this off Amazon (I looked for awhile for a 4 port Hub and I'm looking at the Belkin as well)

AmazonBasics 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 5V/4A Power Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449506904&sr=8-2&keywords=Amazon+7+port+usb+hub

The Belkin 4 Port Powered
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-4-Port-Hub/dp/B0051QZEHC/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1449506799&sr=8-30&keywords=belkin+4+port+powered+usb+hub
« Last Edit: 10:48 AM - 12/07/15 by V3n0m15 »
XBox One, XIM4, Logitech G502, Razer Orbweaver, Behringer Xenyx 802 audio Mixer, DSS1, Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X, Boom XLR Microphone, KVM Switch, Razer Goliathus Speed Mat