XIM Community

Analog WASD with Force Sensing Resistors?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline SE4N

• View Profile
Analog WASD with Force Sensing Resistors?
« on: 09:26 PM - 12/04/15 »
So while eagerly awaiting updates from aimpad, I stumbled across this kickstarter project (it was successful) that is for analog push buttons. They're kind of like PS2 analog buttons where the harder you push the rubber dome contact over the surface the more the signal is increased/decreased. (Force Sensing Resistor)

Like this

I wonder if the scaling of force would be sensitive enough to give a large enough range of analog values  to mimic an analog stick accurately? If it is sensitive enough, the PCBs seem like they'd be small enough to mod into an existing keyboard/keypad. Then we'd just need to hook it up to an arduino/teensy and have someone code it. (*cough* W11cE *cough*)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrisgerding/analog-pushbutton-for-makers-and-creative-control/description
« Last Edit: 11:48 PM - 12/04/15 by SE4N »

Offline W11cE

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Analog WASD with Force Sensing Resistors?
« Reply #1 on: 06:46 AM - 12/05/15 »
What, who?

Yes, it looks like the distance is long enough for this purpose, the thing that im more worried about is the size of those buttons. Thats like 2x the normal keyboard key.

I actually already have done an analog keyboard mod by adding hall effect sensors to cherry switches. I never used it much, because on pc analog mods are hard to use. But I still use that keyboard every day the regular way, so at least those modded switches did not break.