XIM Community

Is it possible to use a usb share hub/KVM switch with the Xim3?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
 I was really wanting to keep same keyboard and mouse for both my 360 and my pc when I get the Xim3. Think it is possible to use a usb sharing hub off the keyboard and mouse and switch between the PC and the Xbox through this  ? Or would it this cause signal issues to the Xim3 ? Does this sound feasible?   :-\ I have a Kvm switch but its ps2 only. What do you guys think ?
Here's one I'm looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403056

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Thats what I plan to do. I don't know anything about those swithes though.. it may change the signal but by design it should allow either a/b 100% on or 100% off. Thats how coax switches work.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline glenn37216

• MVP
    • View Profile
In theory a Usb hub should work right? One with 2 female in , 4 female out ?  Something like this home made switch here should work, you think ?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I think so, but it depends on how the switch uses the signal. Obsiv, your a genious... what do you think?
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I've never used anything like this, but, it sounds like you'll want and "active" KVM switch as opposed to a switchable Hub since you'll want to share a screen. XIM3 has a standard hub IC on it, but, I have no idea how those switches surface the devices connected to them. Like, can you connect something like a G13 to the switch and it'll show up as a G13 on the output? Or, is it strictly expecting mouse and keyboard USB HIDs on those ports? If so, does it simlpy passthough (you get the USB descriptors of the actual hardware), or, does it convert (you get back "fake" USB descriptors and you lose the original identity (and possibly features) of the original hardware)?

So, to answer your question -- I don't know. :)
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Wouldn't be the first time someone decided to take their own path and experiment with some adjustments to their gaming rig. Lots of cool things have been found that way over the years.

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
http://sewelldirect.com/USB-20-2-Port-Manual-Sharing-Switch-with-Cables.asp

That's the one I was looking at, and since it deal with peripherals I wouldn't imagine it interferes with the signal.

Offline Jat Goodwin

• View Profile
I use this one with my xbox/pc: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182157

My keyboard has a much of extra buttons and features and same for the mouse and they work just fine with the extra features through it.

Admin