XIM Community

What headset do you use?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline pdubya631

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Chloroform4k
What headset do you use?
« on: 09:32 PM - 11/28/15 »
Hey guys! I just wanted to post this and poll the community to find out what kind of headsets people are using?  Personally I have a40s + mixamp pro but I've been having disappointing mic quality issues ever since I switched over to PS4.  Recently I've been using my Logitech G430s plugged right into the USB on my ps4, the mic is much clearer and the sound is good but they aren't that comfortable for marathon sessions.  Has anybody found what they deem to be "the perfect setup?"  I'm thinking about getting some HyperX Cloud IIs to use with my mixamp, would love to know if anyone has used this setup successfully!  Thanks guys!

Offline Urlacher54

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: N-u-S-k-o-o-l
Re: What headset do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 03:40 AM - 11/29/15 »
Hey pdubya631.

I also use the Astro A-40's with the mix amp.  In my opinion, these are the best headsets I've ever own!!!

I'm using the XBOX ONE at the moment.  But I'm thinking of getting a PS4 also.

Good luck, as you seek a better headset and setup.

Peace

Offline PhiZaRoaH

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: PhiZaRoaH
« Reply #2 on: 04:30 AM - 11/29/15 »
I also am using the Astro A-40's & mix amp. Love them dearly.

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #3 on: 07:18 AM - 11/29/15 »
iiissshhhh if you have the money stay well away from the a40s (the mixamp is a great device however). Get yourself a decent sent of cans like the sens 380 pros. The differences in sound quality is so ridiculous you'll end up wondering what you were doing all your life with these wanabe gaming headsets...

If your really looking for best level of sound quality / sound staging you need to go for a serious set of stereo cans. I don't say this to start a flamewar or argument but s**t like turtle beach / a40s etc perform terribly in comparison to headphones for Audio Technica / Senheisser / beyerdynamic. they really are leagues apart and any half decent review will tell you the same.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline kayoussoldier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:03 AM - 11/29/15 »
Sony MDR v6 with an Astro mixamp and a cheap zalman clip mic.

Offline pdubya631

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Chloroform4k
« Reply #5 on: 03:28 PM - 11/29/15 »
Xenon thanks for the input I have heard that same sentiment many times before.  I've always been a big fan of Sennheiser so I may go that route.  When using a headset such as those would it be advantageous to use them with my mixamp?  Or will they hold up well on their own.  I know people have talked on here a lot about getting usb soundcards etc, to be honest I'm kind of a novice when it comes to all this. 

Offline wr194t

• Oh hai there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03:35 PM - 11/29/15 »
I'm currently alternating between Koss KSC75s, and Takstar Hi2050s for headphones. My mic is just some cheap clip-on.

Offline paulrules

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:43 PM - 11/29/15 »
I'm using some cheap Hyper X gaming headset + the astro mixamp.

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
« Reply #9 on: 10:04 AM - 11/30/15 »
I was using plantronics rig (comes with an audio mixer of sorts). Headset sucks, so I am using sennheiser 558's with zalman mic. The rig is nice, not only does it allow me to switch from 2 different sources, I can also listen to both sources at the same time (alternating mic depending if I'm talking on TS or PS4). Has usb, Toslink, mp3, and normal jacks. Radioshack had them on sale for $50 USD earlier this year.

Offline Clu

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Clu Rebooted
« Reply #10 on: 12:13 PM - 11/30/15 »
I'm using the Xbox one stereo headset. I chat through the Kinect and people hear me nice and clear

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #11 on: 12:38 PM - 12/16/15 »
Xenon thanks for the input I have heard that same sentiment many times before.  I've always been a big fan of Sennheiser so I may go that route.  When using a headset such as those would it be advantageous to use them with my mixamp?  Or will they hold up well on their own.  I know people have talked on here a lot about getting usb soundcards etc, to be honest I'm kind of a novice when it comes to all this. 

sorry for the really late replay but you will have to pair them with a half decent amp. The mixamp for the price does a cracking job and your quite likely going to make use of the extra odd features it offers. there are slightly better alternative amps out their but usually the difference is so small you won't notice it unless your going full audiophile setups which will cost much much more.

alot of ppl swear by the dss2 as a much cheaper alternative with ever so slightly better sound performance but tbh I've had it and it felt cheap and I couldnt tell the difference when I ran side by side tests. but thats just me though.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #12 on: 08:47 PM - 12/16/15 »
If you want close to "perfect", you need to drop some dough.

I've gone with a Sound Blaster X7 DAC/AMP, Philips Fidelio X2 headphones, V-Moda BoomPro mic, Creative BT-W2 BlueTooth transceiver (to enable the mic on X7 for PS4) and Logitech 5500 5.1 speakers to peel the paint off the walls when the kids aren't home.

Audio is piped from PS3, PS4, 360 and XB1 via optical through a ViewHD TOSlink matrix to the X7 and out to the 5500 speakers and X2 cans.

Suffice to say, it knocks the p!ss and pickhandles out of my Astro MixAmp, MixAmp 5.8 wireless and Astro A50s. It's an end-game setup, unless I step up to the Sennheiser HD 800, which is never gonna happen.
« Last Edit: 11:57 PM - 12/17/15 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline MindControlZombies

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09:52 AM - 12/17/15 »
a good ultradisk clip on mike is much clearer then most headset mikes but u need a switch to turn it on and off when needs be

kenable were selling the 20s for a 10 a while back read up on the models and choose a good 3.5m one

mine works fine with logis g430 usb card much better then the g430s mike
If I can make a Good map in 1 month why cant these clowns make a good map in 3 years ?

Offline Manjerico

• I am Jack's smirking revenge
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
  • PSN ID: Manj3r1c0
« Reply #14 on: 11:54 AM - 12/17/15 »
- AKG K702 with a Bravo Audio V3 valve amp
- Modmic 4.0
- DSS2 with a cheap USB souncard for chat audio

It's not a cheap build (at least for me) but it's definitely a versatile one. I hear music on my PC and watch movies and play games and use it on the PS4 for gaming, music and Netflix. The AKG are reference headphones with greeat soundstage so you have really good positional audio. I only truly realized how important audio is in gaming after using these badboys. The modmic picks up everything!!! It's a very high quality item. I love it and I never get any complains. People tell me they can sometimes hear each other via me because it picks up the sound bleed from the AKG's. DSS2 works great and the choice between it and the mixamp was simply price.   

I dropped around 250~300 but bought the AKG's on ebay for around 150 and the valve amp was around 90 and the Modmic was US$40 (plus shipping on all items).

Xbox One: Phew... Phew... Phew...
PS4:BAANG!!
Outcome: Xbox One is down! Call an ambulance!
"Wii U Wii U Wii U..."
XIM Edge;XIM4|Logitech G13;G502;MX518|Turtle Beach DSS2|AKG K702|Antlion Modmic 4.0|Bravo Audio V3|Asus VX279h|