XIM Community

Help with hardware delimma  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Kamikazii

• View Profile
Help with hardware delimma
« on: 06:01 AM - 04/30/17 »
I'm trying to find a "switch" like item that would allow me to switch back and forth from my computer and adapter so that way I won't have to have 2 sets mice and keyboards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
Help with hardware delimma
« Reply #1 on: 10:44 AM - 04/30/17 »
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Help with hardware delimma
« Reply #2 on: 06:12 PM - 04/30/17 »
You can also go with a straight USB switch to eliminate the redundant video cable.

I use two of these 4-port switches in my setup - https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Computer-Peripheral-Sharing-GUS404/dp/B00BD8I3EI, but it's also available as 2-port.

Note that you'll want USB 2.0, not USB 3.0 for Xim compatibility.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline kryptik66

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: kryp7ik777 (only play PS4 now)
  • PSN ID: kryp7ik777
« Reply #3 on: 05:14 AM - 05/01/17 »
I want to get one of those USB switches you have, just a question regarding the switch, does it have 4 outputs so I can connect keyboard and mouse separately into the Xim 4? I found this on amazon,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/ATEN-US424-peripheral-sharing-Hi-Speed/B00B1SENTE/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NY851FXFF2A9WAD41DS9

It appears to be the same but by the brand is Aten, I am thinking IOGear is the same company as Aten or at least the same manufacturer, even the part code is similar.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #4 on: 05:23 AM - 05/01/17 »
kryptic, I use the IOGear GUS404, which has 4 USB inputs (e.g mouse, kb, USB flash, Stinky Board) and 4 outputs (e.g Xim, PC, Mac, another PC). Note that only ONE switch output goes into the Xim, not two. So you only need one Xim port to support 4 input devices.

I don't know if the Aten is the same, but they do look very similar. And good lord...65 quid for the GUS404 in the UK? That's a massive rip-off! See if the US Amazon store ($30 USD) delivers to the UK.

If you're only sharing m/kb between Xim and PC, you only need 2 inputs and 2 outputs and could probably get away with this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aten-CS22U-2-Port-Cable-Switch-x/dp/B002NTIZCG/. From the looks of that KVM, there would be separate outputs for both mouse and keyboard, so two ports on the Xim. I honestly don't know, but it seems a safe, cheap option.
« Last Edit: 05:34 AM - 05/01/17 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Admin